Constantly Hungry!

Options
MommyisFit
MommyisFit Posts: 139 Member
Ladies, I am past my morning sickness and crazy exhaustion (yay!) BUT I am have been so hungry all day long. I feel like I am constantly eating or thinking about eating! I wasn't really logging for the first few months, but I wasn't eating much more than usual (about 1600 calories a day). Now, I have been easily eating 1800-2000 a day. I am keeping track of the calories this time because I don't want to gain too much, but I feel like it has been always thinking about food.

Is anyone else as hungry as I am? Have your calories increased?

FYI - I am 5'2 w/ a pre-pregnancy weight of 125. I have gained 1lb so far and I am 12 weeks pregnant.

Replies

• stephysd
    stephysd Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    Not hungry all the time, but I usually eat every two hours to make sure that I don't get nauseous. It makes me feel like I am constantly eating although most the time it's a small snack, but it just never seems to stop. I am so terribly thirsty this pregnancy. I can never quench the thirst and have cottonmouth most of the day.

Prior to getting pregnant I was eatinng TDEE-20% which put me at 1360 calories. Now my goal is set at maintenance and I can eat about 1740. I usually eat right at there or maybe 50-100 over if it's an eat out day. I am also 12 weeks and next week plan on adding the additional calories needed for the next trimester.

My stats are 5'3" with a pre-pregnancy weight of 153. I lost a lot the first few weeks due to morning sickness and was done to 146. That finally came up a little bit this week to 147 as of this morning. What do you have calories set to? Maintenance? Gain weight?
  • OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Yay!!!! I can't wait to get to that stage!

Well I've read in certain pregnancy sites that women who were at a healthy weight pre-pregnancy should add up 300 cals more by their second trimester. 300 is really not a lot but could help you satisfy the hunger you're feeling. ;-) But I would check with your OB/Midwife to make sure.

I'm eating at maintenance (@ 2000) now and will continue to do so during my entire pregnancy since I was overweight pre-pregnancy. I find myself always hungry too, but I eat small meals every couple of hours to stave off the hunger. On my commute home from work I have either an apple, almonds or string cheese in my purse to hold me down till dinner time.
  • MommyisFit
    Options
    Not hungry all the time, but I usually eat every two hours to make sure that I don't get nauseous. It makes me feel like I am constantly eating although most the time it's a small snack, but it just never seems to stop. I am so terribly thirsty this pregnancy. I can never quench the thirst and have cottonmouth most of the day.

Prior to getting pregnant I was eatinng TDEE-20% which put me at 1360 calories. Now my goal is set at maintenance and I can eat about 1740. I usually eat right at there or maybe 50-100 over if it's an eat out day. I am also 12 weeks and next week plan on adding the additional calories needed for the next trimester.

My stats are 5'3" with a pre-pregnancy weight of 153. I lost a lot the first few weeks due to morning sickness and was done to 146. That finally came up a little bit this week to 147 as of this morning. What do you have calories set to? Maintenance? Gain weight?

I have it set to maintenance now (about 1600) but I have been so hungry this week, I have been eating a couple hundred more - usually ending up around 1800 and I was eating about 1200-1400 daily before I found out I was pregnant. So maybe I am just at the point where I need to add in that extra 200.
  • MommyisFit
    Options
    Yay!!!! I can't wait to get to that stage!

Well I've read in certain pregnancy sites that women who were at a healthy weight pre-pregnancy should add up 300 cals more by their second trimester. 300 is really not a lot but could help you satisfy the hunger you're feeling. ;-) But I would check with your OB/Midwife to make sure.

I'm eating at maintenance (@ 2000) now and will continue to do so during my entire pregnancy since I was overweight pre-pregnancy. I find myself always hungry too, but I eat small meals every couple of hours to stave off the hunger. On my commute home from work I have either an apple, almonds or string cheese in my purse to hold me down till dinner time.

Thanks. I am going to add in 200 and try not to feel guilty! This is my 3rd pregnancy and was complete surprise! We thought we were done after 2. So I am struggling a little this time with knowing I have to gain 25-35 lbs!
  • MommyisFit
    Options
    I changed my goals to gain 1/2 lb a week and it gave me 200 additional calories a day for a total of 1800. My doctor suggested that I gain 1/2 - 1lb a week so I wlll try this out for awhile!
  • tartsul
    tartsul Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    i had been at maintenance for about 6 months and i stopped tracking mid to late august, because i got tired of it. i did fine maintaining on my own, and then in early september, i found out i was pregnant. a few weeks after that, the nausea really started to hit me and i've been in "survival mode" ever since. i haven't been tracking, but i plan on starting again in a few weeks after the nausea and food aversion (hopefully) go away. i'm getting really tired of eating carbs... and i think my poor husband is getting tired of frozen pizza and burritos.

part of my problem is my crazy metabolism and blood sugar. i've always had an extremely fast metabolism and testy blood sugar (been tested for diabetes, it was negative thankfully), so i am ALWAYS HUNGRY. i have to constantly eat or i feel shaky and weak. this is a problem when you're starving and the only thing that you can keep down is cereal and english muffins! i'm just praying that this will pass once the second trimester rolls around in a few weeks!

honestly, i think if you're hungry, especially during pregnancy, it is absolutely ok to eat. just try to make good choices! :)
  • MommyisFit
    Options
    Apparently my body really did need those extra calories. I have been more of my active self lately since the first trimester exhaustion and sickness has passed. I have been eating a lot more and I have lost that 1 lb I have gained. So at 13 weeks, I have gained nothing so far. I am going to try to continue to make healthy choices and won't really worry so much about eating when I am hungry, I need to make sure to gain some weight!