Baby Names

Options
MommyisFit
MommyisFit Posts: 139 Member
Anyone thinking of names yet? I haven't been doing too much looking, but keeping my ears and eyes open if I hear anything I like. Not having much luck though. Every name I come up with there is a reason it won't work.

I think this will prove to be difficult this time around!

Replies

• superhelga
    superhelga Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Aaa. Names are so tricky!! My head is constantly working around with different name combinations, female and male.
    It feels like, whatever you choose. people have such strong opinions about it. Especially family.
    We had a rough time naming our first son Ragnar. Its a classic, old Norwegian name. (I'm Norwegian, my husband American)
    My husbands family really dislikes it.. With foreign names, people put extreme importance to the "meaning" of the name.
    This time we will try to come up with something that works better in both languages.
    But its so hard to plan.
    Its not before you meet the little person you can really tell who she or he is, and then you have like 24 hours to make up your mind to get it on the birth certificate before you leave the hospital.. (I don't know if thats really true, but that was how it was presented to me at least)
  • stephysd
    stephysd Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    We adore family names. Our sons both have family names and this little one will as well. Our first son is named David Terry after both of our fathers, and our second son is Iver Roy after a great-uncle on my husband's side and middle name is after each of our paternal grandpas. My husband picked the first name for each boy, so I get to name this one no matter what. I wanted to name our youngest Wilhelm after my great-grandpa, but could never get my husband on board.

Our girl name has been picked out since the first time we were pregnant and is Lena Lucille. She will be named after my paternal great-grandmother and the middle name is my husband's maternal grandmother name. For boy name, I have picked Ernest (Ernie) Gerald which is named after my paternal great-grandpa and middle name is my maternal grandpa.

It amazes me how opinionated people will be about something that they have no decision over. We had so much grief for naming Iver. Everyone hated and expressed it constantly which did not help a hormonal mother. And we have had a lot of negative comments on Lena since the beginning, but I think they are just use to the fact that is what it is going to be. So we have not heard much said this go round. We have told family what names we have picked out as I just had two cousins go through a name problem. One cousin was pregnant and due in about 2 months and they knew it was a boy and had a name picked out but would not tell. I had another cousin that was pregnant a few months behind her lose their baby at about 20-25 weeks, and it ended up being a boy. The second cousin decided to have a funeral and bury their son and ended up naming him Levi. Which in the end turned out to be the same name that the other cousin had picked. It made for a very sad situation to become incrediably ackward. So everyone knows our names, so no one else picks it (not that anyone probably would pick those old time names anyways).
  • superhelga
    Options
    I love using family names, and old names. I think its beautiful that you go totally in for it. I'm named after 2 of my ancestors, and it has always felt very important. Like i had a special bond with people in afterlife. Almost like having been given 2 guardian angels or invisible god mothers.
  • Emma38418
    Emma38418 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My daughter is Alicia Mae which was the only name I have ever loved so it was easy when I found out I was having a girl. This isn't linked to family names at all. We live permanently in Spain but are British so it needs to be a name easily pronounced in both languages, but this time round I have no idea or preference at the moment. Any suggestions are welcome!
  • stephysd
    Options
    My daughter is Alicia Mae which was the only name I have ever loved so it was easy when I found out I was having a girl. This isn't linked to family names at all. We live permanently in Spain but are British so it needs to be a name easily pronounced in both languages, but this time round I have no idea or preference at the moment. Any suggestions are welcome!

You can steal the name my husband wanted to change the girl name to-Evangeline. Not that I really know if it would work in both countries. I think it's a beautiful name, but he just heard it on a movie the other day. So it has no ties at all otherwise. I had to laugh, because this is the last baby according to him. He actually wanted to quit after two, but I put my foot down. So when he heard this name his response was, "If we have another baby and it's a girl I am naming her this and you can't say anything about it not being a family name." I laughed and said really a fourth.

He wanted to name our youngest son Ivan which is also not a family name, but I hated it. All I could picture was Russian mobster. So then we kept digging through photo albums and finally came across Iver. It was close enough to Ivan for him and far enough away sounding for me.
  • stephysd
    Options
    I love using family names, and old names. I think its beautiful that you go totally in for it. I'm named after 2 of my ancestors, and it has always felt very important. Like i had a special bond with people in afterlife. Almost like having been given 2 guardian angels or invisible god mothers.

My family used the middle name to honor a family member, and my husband's middle name is after his father. I always like the older names. I could never really wrap my head around all these unique names. I have trouble pronouncing things on a good day and then you throw in a unique spelling to it. It's a good thing I am not a teacher.

So what does your son's name, Ragnar, mean? It has me curious. Iver is a Norweigen name as well and I know that his means 'archer'.
  • superhelga
    Options
    .. It's a good thing I am not a teacher.

So what does your son's name, Ragnar, mean? It has me curious. Iver is a Norweigen name as well and I know that his means 'archer'.

I used to teach. Names were are tricky part of it. So many nationalities and odd names. I kept mixing them up, driving the kids insane:)

Iver comes from Ivar, witch is a very common name back home, especially among the older generation.
    I never met any Iver, but looking at the statistics, it looks like a really hot name back in Norway right now, returning after 100 years of low frequency. http://www.ssb.no/a/kortnavn/navn/guttermange/iver.html
    My Norwegian name book says "iv-" comes from "yew", and -ar (or -er in your case) from "warrior" or "shaft", so yes, some kind of archer:)
    Ragnar has the same origin. "Ragn" means council or "advice", and -ar; warrior shaft
    They are old viking names. (Ragnarock actually is a kind of judgement day in Nordic mythology)
    I like them because they are strong and traditional, and remind me of wise people of times past. I'm a pacifist, and feel the strength the names bear is a inner mental one. But people seem to put a lot of emphasis on the violent, viking warrior image over here. I guess thats why I always get a little uncomfortable when I have to explain what it means over and over again:) Our neighbors just call him "Warrior" or "Thor".. I don't like that.
  • superhelga
    Options
    Totally ad hoc. But the name Jaden, or Aden is incredibly popular lately. Does anyone know how that happened? Was it Will Smiths kid who just started it all? Feels like every other little boy we run into is named something along those lines. Looks like its on a decline however.. And then there is Mason..
    Name trends are so fascinating..

Top 10 boys names 2012
    1. Jacob 0.940 0
    2. Mason 0.938 0
    3. Ethan 0.873 +4
    4. Noah 0.856 +1
    5. William 0.832 -2
    6. Liam 0.830 +9
    7. Jayden 0.797 -3
    8. Michael 0.796 -2
    9. Alexander 0.752 -1
    10. Aiden

Girls top 10 2012
    1. Sophia 1.153 0
    2. Emma 1.082 +1
    3. Isabella 0.985 -1
    4. Olivia 0.892 0
    5. Ava 0.802 0
    6. Emily 0.705 0
    7. Abigail 0.655 0
    8. Mia 0.621 +1
    9. Madison 0.589 -1
    10. Elizabeth

from http://www.behindthename.com/top/lists/us/2012/100
  • blah2989
    blah2989 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Well we are doing a "four letter theme" for our kid's names. We have Ryan (3) Luke (2) and pending on gender for this one Zack for a boy, and Zoey for a girl. Zack means "Pure" or "laughter God heard" (yes two meanings) and Zoey means "bringer of life." Ryan means "little king" and Luke means "bringer of light"
    So for a boy Zack Landon, for a girl Zoey Rose :)
  • MommyisFit
    MommyisFit Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I would like the idea of a family name -Problem is - my family is so stinkin big that all of the good ones have already been used. This baby will be the 27th great grandchild for my grandparents.

I prefer a name that isn't quite traditional but isn't so weird that people can't pronounce or figure it out. My daughter is Liana Grace and my son is Mark Jason (Jr). We fell in love with the name Liana and it's meaning (My God has Answered) because we had tried for several years before we got pregnant with her.

I came across the name Eden for a girl and loved it, but when I googled it the first thing that came up was an adult website. So that is out. :( I have no options at this point.

Considering Colton for a boy. We were going to name my son that if my husband decided he didn't want a Jr. But not sure how I still feel about it. :/
  • hotmomma0612
    hotmomma0612 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Well we are doing a "four letter theme" for our kid's names. We have Ryan (3) Luke (2) and pending on gender for this one Zack for a boy, and Zoey for a girl. Zack means "Pure" or "laughter God heard" (yes two meanings) and Zoey means "bringer of life." Ryan means "little king" and Luke means "bringer of light"
    So for a boy Zack Landon, for a girl Zoey Rose :)

I was thinking about Zoey for a girl, at first. Then I decided to go more classic and vintage like my son. I also plan on doing a 2-syllable first name and 1-syllable middle name theme. His name is Felix George. I have a few ideas for this one :smile:
  • KimberlyTG2
    KimberlyTG2 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have no Idea about names. It was hard enough the first time to come up with my son's name. We had a girl name pick out, but since that time a family member has used it. I kinda like Ava or Mia for a Girl. I have no idea for a boy. Our last name is Gonzales, but I am not Spanish and don't want a Spanish first name necessarily. Our family names are just not an option. They are just not very appealing to me (Edger, Wilbur, Freeman, Jose, Marie, Lavonna, Dorothy, Rena Fay)