Running

Hi All,

I started running in July, found out I was PG Sept 5 and ran up until Sept 20. Took two weeks off (all day sickness kicked in), ran a 5k on Oct 5 and haven't run since (because of the all day sickness). I've gotten out walking a couple of times, but not much as I am pretty miserable. I'm hoping to start up running again once I feel better, but wasn't sure if I could do that. Will my body forget that I was doing this prior? I know I won't be able to do as much or go as fast as before, but what do your doctors say? I have an appt next week and am going to ask her what she recommends. I would really like to keep running - even if only two days a week. I just don't see it happening until I feel better. Thanks!!

Replies

• Not sure about the running, but I am dealing with morning sickness myself and it sucks! My husband bought me a PsiBand today from Walgreens. There are two bands that you wear on your wrists to alleviate morning sickness. So far it seems like it's working.

You may want to try it!
  • OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Hi! I'm in the same boat as you. My first trimester has been rough. I ran a half marathon in June and stopped running two weeks after I found out I was pregnant. I ran a 5K race and forced myself to do it bc I figured it shouldn't be too hard and well I paid for it and I told my friend I would run with her. I completed the race but it was tough. My pace was slower and my boobs were killing me.

I haven't gone running since...it's been about a month now and I desperately miss it. I just don't have the energy anymore. I'm hoping for my energy to come back after my second trimester (that's what my OB said) so I can't hit the pavement again.

I know I won't be able to go as far as I used to (13 miles)...but at least I'll be able to get a few miles in. I'm thinking I'm going to start off running and if it's too tough, then scale back to a run/walk to acclimate my body to running.

I don't think it's a problem with your doctor if this is a sport you were doing before you got pregnant. Also, I don't think she'd have a problem as long as you don't go on too long of a distance. My OB said to keep it under 6.

Hang in there!!!! We can do this! :flowerforyou:
  • OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Not sure about the running, but I am dealing with morning sickness myself and it sucks! My husband bought me a PsiBand today from Walgreens. There are two bands that you wear on your wrists to alleviate morning sickness. So far it seems like it's working.

You may want to try it!

Sweet! I may have to look for it!
  • Momma2CharlieJane
    Momma2CharlieJane Posts: 142 Member
    Not sure about the running, but I am dealing with morning sickness myself and it sucks! My husband bought me a PsiBand today from Walgreens. There are two bands that you wear on your wrists to alleviate morning sickness. So far it seems like it's working.

You may want to try it!

Thanks! I'll look into the bands. It would be great if it helps, even a little.
  • Momma2CharlieJane
    Momma2CharlieJane Posts: 142 Member
    Hi! I'm in the same boat as you. My first trimester has been rough. I ran a half marathon in June and stopped running two weeks after I found out I was pregnant. I ran a 5K race and forced myself to do it bc I figured it shouldn't be too hard and well I paid for it and I told my friend I would run with her. I completed the race but it was tough. My pace was slower and my boobs were killing me.

I haven't gone running since...it's been about a month now and I desperately miss it. I just don't have the energy anymore. I'm hoping for my energy to come back after my second trimester (that's what my OB said) so I can't hit the pavement again.

I know I won't be able to go as far as I used to (13 miles)...but at least I'll be able to get a few miles in. I'm thinking I'm going to start off running and if it's too tough, then scale back to a run/walk to acclimate my body to running.

I don't think it's a problem with your doctor if this is a sport you were doing before you got pregnant. Also, I don't think she'd have a problem as long as you don't go on too long of a distance. My OB said to keep it under 6.

Hang in there!!!! We can do this! :flowerforyou:

At my 8 week appt I told my midwife that I had been running. She thought it was great and as long as I felt good to keep going. I figured as long as I took it easy that it would be ok to slowly get back into it once I felt better and had some energy back. I hope that is the case soon! Thanks for the encouragement. I hope this works out for you too!!!
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    I miss running but I was gushing blood and told NO MORE RUNNING. It wasn't the usual, "well we don't recommend but you know whatever." No uncertain terms.

There is nothing else I want to do in its place. I wasn't very good at it in terms of distance and speed, only thing I had going for me was consistency...but I look forward to being better than ever come next summer :)
  • kcasey155
    kcasey155 Posts: 968 Member
    My ex-next-door-neighbour ran a marathon at about 5 months pregnant with twins. If you enjoy running do it. If you are otherwise healthy and it doesn't cause problems with your joints or bladder, go for it! Just make sure that you listen to any signs your body gives you and don't over do it. You may find you need more support, as in a better sports bra and a maternity support belt and you may find that you can't go as fast or as far. But if you feel capable and are healthy then there should be no reason why you can't run.
  • rhye
    rhye Posts: 104 Member
    My doctor said I could run as long, as hard, and as far as I want to but just to listen to my body if it says I need to stop. She also said that we'll be more prone to joint injuries so make sure to warm up, use proper shoes, and stretch after. She said the same about weightlifting and other sports, basically just guard against injury and enjoy.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    My Dr has always told me to continue what I was doing previously but not to start any new programs. I get pretty mad hyperemesis to where I lose weight, get a PICC line, etc, but I continue to run and lift on the days that I can. Good luck and just run everything by your Doc - and of course anything that hurts or makes you feel funny - don't do!
  • Camerol
    Camerol Posts: 4 Member
    I was running 2-3 miles a few times a week before getting pregnant. I'm still running about 3 miles, 2 times a week but have slowed down quite a bit - added about 2 minutes per mile. Other than slowing down, I feel pretty good. I'm 22 weeks and hope to keep running as long as I can.
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    I was told to run to my hearts content until I hit the third trimester, when my OB suggested I not do any strenuous exercise.

Sadly, I stopped running very early on. I did keep up with spin and walking.

An acquaintance, however, is 28 weeks (6 weeks behind me) and ran a half last weekend. She's more into running than I ever was, so maybe that's not "strenuous" for her...or her OB is less opposed to 3rd trimester exercise than mine is!