What would Olivia Newton-John do? Exercise and pregnancy.

Options
I am fascinated by the levels of exertion people are (or aren't) willing to perform while pregnant. I have my first ultrasound next Friday. Since I discovered the pregnancy (my first), I have run a half-marathon, a 6K, and am doing 10 miles this weekend. My doctor, who my husband and I really like, said it should all be okay as long as I listen to my body. I feel GREAT on most days--almost to the point that I can't believe I am pregnant.

I know pregnancy, as well as exercise, are different for each person. I am not trying to incite controversy. I know some folks have very strong feelings about this. (e.g., My mother-in-law will kill me if she finds out I am working out like this!)

I am just curious: What's your philosophy on this? Has your doctor encouraged you to take it easy? What exercises are working for you or have worked for you in the past?

Sub-question: Do you make yourself exercise when your body says "You must nap"?

If anyone wants to friend me, please do--particularly if you're interested in doing this weight gain thing in a mindful and responsible way (as much as our weird cravings allow us)!

Replies

• usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I have my first U/S next Friday too! My doctor told me that exercise is good but to not overdo it. She suggested a 30 minute walk at a moderate pace. I listen to my body as far as choosing to exercise over napping. With my first I felt energetic so it wasn't an issue. With this one I am TIRED, so I nap. Well as much as I can with a toddler. I definitely nap when he does, lol. I think if you're body is allowing you to exercise that much then by all means, exercise! It'll probably get more difficult in the next trimester:)
  • syntaria
    syntaria Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time wanting to move much once I'm sitting down. Mostly I try to walk as much as possible, and keep active in whatever I'm doing, whether it'a laundry or cooking or volunteering at my DD's school.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    I half ran/half walked a 5k at 6 wks along. I was feeling nauseous that day but the exercise really helped.

Other than the weird food cravings and my inability to eat large quantities at a time (I have to wait 20 min or so if I want a second slice of pizza or something like that) I feel fine.

I think working out when pregnant is great as long as you're not trying anything too new and strenuous, and of course keeping it within the confines of your doctor's orders..
  • IndianMuslim
    Options
    I'm too nervous to work out right now. Other than a home pregnancy test, I haven't even really confirmed this pregnancy. My first doctor's appt is on November 5th and my first ultrasound is scheduled for November 11th. That's why I decided to put the working out on hold for now. Once the pregnancy is confirmed and my doctor reassures me it is ok to work out, I may stick to walking on the treadmill a few times a week. I just don't want to do any strenuous exercises these next couple months. I'm not advocating just sitting around and getting fat either. This is by no means an excuse to put off getting fit...I just feel the safety of my pregnancy trumps everything else right now.

I still log my calories daily to make sure I'm not consuming too much.

Will get back on the exercise bandwagon once the baby is born :-)
  • amyjpage
    amyjpage Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    We found out our news the evening before flying out on vacation! While much of our vacation was relaxing, the first two days were major walking and sight seeing, then exhaustion set in!

Since returning home from our trip, I have been too exhausted to do much of anything. I feel like all I do is work and sleep!

I have however just learned that if I keep going when I get home from work, make dinner, do dishes, tidy up etc. I am functioning and okay (not over doing it) but if I come home and nap before starting dinner, I'm a lost cause and I'll stay in bed until morning!

Now that I've started to figure out these changes in my body and how to work around it, I anticipate getting out and walking again every day :) I'm actually looking forward to it!
  • Lady_Lamb
    Lady_Lamb Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm SO tired! I try to make sure to walk a couple of miles each day. I would like to do more, but I am exhausted and a little queazy pretty much all the time. I am a preschool teacher, so I am up and about most of the day. By the time I get home, I make dinner, eat, and pass out. Blerg.