Wk21Oct to 27Oct Training Progress

Options
Qski
Qski Posts: 246 Member
No updates for me yet. I went to a physio on Friday who says I definitely have shin splints. She has advised I either slow down my pace or take more days break in between missions till things settle down. She also taught me a new stretch to use after I work out and did some release technique on my calves that made me want to cry it hurt so damn much.

She also strapped one foot saying that if I noticed a big difference with the strapped foot that it may indicate that I need to see a podiatrist, but I didn't notice anything other than the strapping being annoying.

She did say that the plan was great, and that walking and then running a little is the best way to go and that it doesn't look like I have any other issues, just to listen to my body.

I will be doing wk3d3 tonight.

4 minutes in a free form sounds awesome Vaugirard15! I can't wait to get to that level
Hope you feel a bit stronger this week, but from what I have heard from other runners, sometimes that just happens.

Replies

• ScubaAmyMN
    ScubaAmyMN Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    If you don't have bad ankles (the kind that will roll and/or sprain), running on woodchips, dirt trails, or grass will help too. The pounding on asphalt or concrete is a lot worse on shin splints. I ran track in college, and coached track for 10+ years, so have more than my fair share with shin splints! :)

A good hint for icing them, if you'd like - buy those little wax-covered Dixie cups and fill them half full with water and freeze them. Then you get a big cube, can hang onto the outside of the cup and peel it away as it melts to ice your shins. You can just continuously run the cube up and down the shins. Icing won't make them "better," but will take away the pain and help with the inflamation.

Good luck! I hope you can return to your mission quickly.
  • Vaugirard15
    Vaugirard15 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Oh, Qski, so sorry to hear that you aren't feeling well but it's great that you've seen a doctor to make sure you know what's going on! Were you fitted for your running shoes? I went to a specialty store where they put me on all sorts of machines that measured arches, etc., and that's been very helpful with shin splints-- I only get a slight twinge every once in a while. I know what you mean, though, about the massage. When I was getting PT after a broken ankle several years ago, the massage was so very painful. ScubaAmnyMN is right, though, about the ice-- water bottles work, too.

Hopefully you'll mend quickly and be back to outrunning those zooms!
  • Qski
    Options
    Thank you ladies... I am not in agony or anything, but I was heading that way. I mentioned to a few people that my shins were hurting and they stayed sore a few hours after my run, then the next time it was more than a day. Everyone warned me to go and see someone, just in case.

I think I can still train, I just need to be mindful of what I am doing.

I do have bad ankles I think @ScubaAmyMN either that or the field where we ran around playing soccer and warming up for athletics (I did shotput and javelin never ran) had a lot of potholes or something... Though we do have a school over our back fence so I could run around on their field. But I'm not sure I would like running laps compared to doing the entire 4km on the road.

I'm in Australia, so I am going to google dixie cups to see what they look like. But will definitely ice if they get owie again. I still imagine achiness now and it has been 4 days since my last walk/run but I may just be paranoid now!

Edited: I need to stop starting sentences with So... it's serves no purpose
  • ScubaAmyMN
    ScubaAmyMN Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I completed Week 1, Day 1 yesterday. I had some trouble getting my phone synced to the website, but turned my phone off and on again this morning, and that worked.

I tried making a playlist (in Winamp, which the ZR site site recommended, but it still didn't play. I used Pandora and listened to a station that is like Halloween soundtracks or something, and I could hear the app just fine over it. It was cool background music.

I successfully completed all the 15 second runs, and ran a bit during the free run too. This might be TMI, but I wore compression tights under my other pants and it felt better because my butt didn't jiggle as much when I was running - LOL. The day before, that bothered me.

It was hard to know when to turn around, because I knew speedwise it wasn't a consistent out and back.

I went 3.09 miles in 40:47, and am surprised that I was able to do that pace (I am a really fast walker though).

I'll do W1D2 on Wednesday or Thursday. My knee hurts a bit, but I won't be able to do it Friday or Saturday because of my schedule.
  • Vaugirard15
    Options
    Good work, ScubaAmyMN! I think having comfortable clothing is very important. And, that's a really great time! You're already completing 5K (or pretty close to it)!

Qski-- Dixie cups are paper cups (often thought of as the little paper ones, like at a dentist's office) but they can be bigger, too. The idea is that you can freeze water in the cup, then tear off the cup to have a great big ice cube! So anything of similar type will work. And, glad to hear that the shin splints aren't too serious. They sure do hurt, though!

I completed Week 5 Day 2 today. Still feeling sluggish so I probably only jogged about 10 minutes total. The funny thing is that I was so into the story line that when Dr. Myers told me where I was headed, I just knew I wouldn't make it back to base on time. So, in my last free form, every time Sam would tell me to run, I did (just for about 30 seconds, but still-- I was already 40 minutes into the workout!). Felt a little like a Pavlovian dog, doing as I was told!

Since ScubaAmy brought up the playlist, I was noticing how much having my playlist helps keep me motivated. I don't shuffle the songs; I play them in the same order every time. Because the workouts get longer each time, I can tell by my playlist. I also use my playlist to determine which way to walk/run because I know how many more songs until the end of the workout. And, a few songs are ones I use to pace myself-- they're my markers for how far into the workout I am or how much longer I have to go (even though Dr. Myers tells me, too, I use the music just as much).

Oh-- and check out the ZombiesRun blog! They're going to release 3 Halloween episodes that can be downloaded and used any time! I might use those on one of my walking days just for fun!
  • Qski
    Options
    We are all kicking butt this week! excellent work ScubaAmyMN and Vaugirard15!

I really get into the story too, so going to have to see how I do with repeating.

I love doing the playlist thing - ScubaAmyMN - on my phone when I click start mission there is a section that says if you want to use a playlist, and then I have to select my playlist in there (it lists all the playlists on my phone) and then the app starts to play it. Did yours not start?

I read up about music and working out and decided that I should be using 130bpm songs, then I downloaded free software that goes through all your music and then adds the BPM to the BPM tag, then I added that column to the list in winamp and sorted by BPM. I made one that I used for wk1 and 2 and then made a new one for wk 3.

For planning where you are going to go, initially I guessed that I would do 3.5km in my workout (now I do just over 4km) and I went to a site called the jogging planner http://tjp.adgent.com/ then I typed in my address and selected the distance I wanted and it suggests a route round about that distance - and you can keep clicking and it will give you several options.

Yesterday I was going to go out and it was raining, last night I got home and felt a bit meh, then this morning, I got up and it had been raining but looked fine, so I did Wk3D3. 10minutes in it really started to pour but I kept going - felt a little bit bad *kitten* walking/jogging passed people with umbrellas :D

I slowed down my pace a bit as per the physio's directions and I managed to do 3 of the runs to 1 minute - I could have yelled Woo Hoo... but I kept it inside!

I will be doing week 3 again and am going to take 2 day breaks in between now, shins are a bit achey, but will see how long the achey lasts. I did my stretches and will ice them again tonight.
    And yay for ice cubes from paper cups - I have a few at home (constant entertainer!)

Go Runner 5s!
  • Vaugirard15
    Options
    Wow! Running in the rain-- bravo, Qski! You are pretty badass! Very dedicated, that's for sure! And thanks for the tip on that website. I've bookmarked it. It does use a lot of busier roads when I do it in my town (but does choose ones that are relatively flat which is always a challenge since the town is on the side of a hill!) It will be especially helpful when away from home, I think!

I got out today and did Week 3 Workout 3. Seriously contemplated repeating 2 but then just wanted to hear the next part of the story. But also told myself if I did that then I had to run more and I did! Yeah! Good to feel like I have some energy again! Was able to run about 15 minutes total-- all the 1 minute training runs (x8), 4.5 minutes in the first free form and a half dozen runs in the other two free forms. Also tried to keep a strong pace when walking (since I can tend sometimes to go too slow while catching my breath). Felt great!
  • Qski
    Options
    I'm pretty sure you mean wk5 there didn't you Vaugirard15? but 15minutes is totally badass too!
    I went out again this morning and did a repeat of wk3d1 - I will repeat wk3d2, and 3 before going on to wk4 - though 4 seems easier?

so I slowed my pace a bit more than I did in the rain (no rain today!) and I managed to run the 1 minute in each of the 5 drills for the first time. Very proud of that. I also did a couple of runs in the first free form after the drills but I walked a lot slower to recover. My shins are super owie now though compared to my last run, so maybe I needed to wait another day in between, I am just really motivated at the moment and it seems a shame to waste that mental energy!

So I will be good and wait until Monday again to do my next run.
    I keep reading a lot of the runner threads on here and some of the posts of people doing their first runs are making me cry. I still can't imagine doing it and the idea of being able to do it the first time will be just amazing. Will need to ensure I am super dehydrated that day, so that I don't sob all over myself. (or I could just do it in the rain!)

How you doing ScubaAmyMN?
  • Vaugirard15
    Options
    You're right, Qski-- Week 5 Day 3!

I think it was week 3 before I ran any of the free-forms, too. It was very exciting-- even if it was only for 15 seconds!

That extra day may be helpful to you while you're healing. You could try it and see how it feels. I see from the boards that you are doing other exercises, too. Do those put as much stress on your shins? I need to find some kind of strength training to do. I've been thinking about yoga (I used to do gentle yoga and loved it) but it's hard finding a class at the right time. Have also though about doing one of the Jillian Michaels DVDs-- but she's kind of scary! :-)

Amy ran today-- I saw it on her notification! She's doing great!

I'm very proud of all of us-- and so thankful to you, Qski, for starting up this thread. It really helps to see how others are doing. Keeps me from getting too discouraged on bad days because I see you two pulling through, too.

It will be very exciting when we complete our first 5Ks!
  • Qski
    Options
    I would have just spoken to myself in here each week until someone felt sorry for me he he he (but very glad and appreciative of the company in her thx!)

yes I am doing Les Mills PUMP, its sort of a mix of cardio and weights because you use (relatively) light weights and do a lot of repetitions to music. I don't think that would be effecting the shins, they don't hurt (or hurt more) when I do the exercise in that (my thighs and butt do though! ow). And I think from the stretch the physio showed me it is a different muscle. She actually said the muscle is still in the back of the calf, but it's attached to the front of the shin bone, and it tries to pull away from the bone and gets hurt.

PUMP is a 90 day program, that I am trying to follow and on your off days (you do pump 3 times a week) they have walking days, a stretch/yoga type class and an abdominal workout, so my plan was to do Zombies or cycling on those days. I want to be able to cycle to work everyday, it's 8km from our home and no real hills in either direction. The cycling shouldn't hurt either, so hopefully it all complements each other.
  • cynforgiven
    Options
    >>I read up about music and working out and decided that I should be using 130bpm songs, then I downloaded free software that goes through all your music and then adds the BPM to the BPM tag, then I added that column to the list in winamp and sorted by BPM. I made one that I used for wk1 and 2 and then made a new one for wk 3. <<

Hey everyone!
    Qski - where did you find the software? I know I move better (faster?) with certain songs but not so much with others that sound like they're the same BPM. It would be cool to find out if they actually are.

To share my week's progress - I've been kinda switching back and forth between the 5k and the regular app so on the 5k side I completed week 2 workout 1 on Monday (followed by a 20 min radio mission) and S1 M2 regular app (with 30 min radio mission) on Tuesday and SI M3 regular app (with 20 min radio mission). My plan is to do the next 5k mission Saturday on my sister's treadmill for a change to see what that's like.

Glad I found you guys! My sister gets a chuckle out of my running commentary on my "zombie training" each time i post my exercise, but it'll be great to share with people who actually understand what I'm talking about when I say "dang it, I got X packs of underwear and no sports bra today" - LOL
  • Qski
    Options
    the software is called mixmeister bpm analyzer it was on a free software download site
    then you just point it at your music directory and it does it's thing

they do say that songs with same bpm can be different - depending on the feel of the song - so I think rock and dance are good and hip hop, reggae and easy listening can be the same but doesn't feel as 'fast'. I don't have much musical knowledge but to me it's when the song is more about melody than beat - does that make sense?

Oh yeah.. we are happy to hear progress and chat, but I personally don't want to know any spoilers.... so no giving story bits away!
    or the zoms will come and get you ;)
  • cynforgiven
    Options
    I know what you mean about the melody more than the bpm. I have a couple of songs on my playlist that are a little slower, but the lyrics are so positive and empowering that i purposely included them.

I won't say anything about the story unfolds, but is talking about items picked up ok? Don't want any more zoms coming after me than i already have :)
  • Vaugirard15
    Options
    No zombies for me today... just listened to the mission radio (which is a hoot!). I try to do the zombies run 5K on Tues & Thurs then take an extra long walk on Saturdays. Went out for 90 minutes today -- perfect weather, not too hot, not too cool. Tomorrow's my rest and get ready for the week day (i.e. work and home chores) but there is a Halloween party at the dog park. :-)

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, my fellow Runner 5s!
  • cynforgiven
    Options
    Did week 2 workout 2 today AND season 1 mission 4 on my sister's treadmill (right at 60 minutes total). It worked out really well until i stopped. I had to hold on to the wall and stand still for like 10 minutes bc I thought my legs were going to buckle every time i tried to take a step. When I finally could walk I still held on to the wall bc my right leg still felt weak. This happen to anyone else? I get a bit jelly legged when i use the elliptical (my max time on it is 20 minutes right now) but this was really freaky.

*edit - I don't think it's the length of time so much bc I did a 80 minute walk around the neighborhood last weekend and my legs were fine

Had a good session even if i only picked up 14 items today (no sports bra or underwear though)
  • Vaugirard15
    Options
    Cyn--That must have been scary!

It could be lots of things. Were you well hydrated? Did you have enough to eat earlier in the day? Were you especially tired? I've had days when I just don't do as well. In those cases, I'm always analyzing myself-- should I push forward? slow down? stop? It's hard to know whether it's my body or my mind stopping me from doing what I "should" do. But jelly legs sounds like the body telling you something important!

Hope you feel better now!