How long after surgery did you have your first drink?

Options
kfalcon23
kfalcon23 Posts: 23 Member
I am dying for a beer! :) It has been 8 weeks, and I have been a good girl. I have heard that anything with bubbles may cause some discomfort - distending the stomach etc...

How long after surgery did you have a drink, and what did you have?

Replies

• pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I'm about 15 weeks out and had a beer two weeks ago. It tasted great! No ill effects, but I only drank about a quarter of the mug - maybe 3 or 4 ounces.
  • janisbirch
    janisbirch Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I was at least 2 months Post-Op before I tried 1/2 glass of wine. I felt the 1st sip immediately, so I cautiously kept an eye on how I was feeling as I sipped it all night.

Then last evening I was at an engagement party and I had 2 peach margaritas from one of those margarita machines you can rent for occasions. It was more like a slushy. Very delicious too! I nursed those 2 margaritas over 4 hours; I also found it helpful to not drink it using a straw, everyone kept offering to get me one, but I politely refused. Without a straw, I found I would let a bit melt before drinking. This allowed me to have a drink in my hand all night, but gave me 2 as my limit. It worked out great!

I seriously doubt that you'll drink more than 1/2 of your beer in an hour's time. It will fill you up immediately and you'll feel the effects of the alcohol. Be very careful, okay?
  • kfalcon23
    kfalcon23 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks! And you were right - I was only able to finish about 1/4 to 1/2 of the beer in about 45 minutes time. I think I nursed it enough where I did not really feel an effect from the alcohol except maybe a slight headache. Sure was yummy though!!

And I did have the burps something awful with each sip! :)
  • pharris888
    Options
    3 weeks after my surgery I had 2 oz. of wine with Easter dinner.

2 months after surgery I had 1/4 of a can of diet soda and paid for it it was 3 more months till I tried again and only after making it mostly flat.

I am 18 mo after surgery and still only drink a carbonated beverage on an empty stomach and after pouring it into a glass to release most of the carbonation.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I actually went about a year and then had 1/2 glass of wine. I found that the 1/2 glass is about all I can do because I really feel it. Beer I haven't tried yet because my tummy really doesn't like carbonation anymore.
  • teeduran
    teeduran Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I tried a beer after my 5th month and it didn't stay down. so never again. Wine I got real sick too. I can live without it all. And soda pop.