Support Board - Help! I need food/diet advice!

Options
The support boards are here for when you need them. They do not count for points or anything. Just post to them when you could use some help in this area & let your teammates support you in your journey!

You will know someone has posted something new as boards appear in the order of the most recent posting. So if you see that someone has posted recently, please check it out & see if you could offer some encouragement or advice to a teammate to help them continue to be successful in their own journey. I seem to remember a common theme on the Biggest Loser show of passing it on...

Keep on keeping on!

Replies

• cherries12345
    cherries12345 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I don't know why I always always do this! Last week, after I weighed in, I totally lost control Sunday and Monday and binged so much! The same thing happened again this week! This has been going on for over a month now- even before I started the BL group. I just have these random days in the middle of the week and most often on the weekends where I start the day off pretty well and something just makes me keep getting up to go get food! I feel so full and disgusted with myself!
  • TuBBaSHRiMP
    Options
    I find myself doing the same thing. Its almost like my body wants to make up for the caloriez I have cut. When I get to this point, the last few weeks, I remind myself how much better my clothes feel and I will do something impulsive.....like run in place for 1 minute, or 30 push ups, this allows my urge to pass and I feel better afterwards.
  • jmayerovitch
    jmayerovitch Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    If you know this happens every week and you're having trouble preventing it, try planning for it instead. Give yourself that way day "off" from your diet so-to-speak, but still set a reasonable calorie goal, like "I'll give myself some freedom but definitely won't go over 2000 calories".
  • manal2288
    manal2288 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    you can exercise more the day after or just try to eat healthy food instead of junk food , remember you are not dieting you are changing your life style so go and try new healthy food

just do't give up keep trying it won't happen in one day
  • writemusic4him
    writemusic4him Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    If you know this happens every week and you're having trouble preventing it, try planning for it instead. Give yourself that way day "off" from your diet so-to-speak, but still set a reasonable calorie goal, like "I'll give myself some freedom but definitely won't go over 2000 calories".

I like this idea.

And, do you eat decent tasting stuff during the week that you are feeling fulfilled food-wise. This took me a while to figure out, bc if I just had a half sandwich of turkey meat & a little light mayo, that was really boring. It was the last thing I wanted to eat & when people at work had better lunches, I didn't want mine at all anymore & would go buy something else.

Also, are you trying to go cold turkey? Like I used to have to have chocolate everyday. And when I tried to not eat it at all, then it would work for a few days, and then I just couldn't keep resisting. So I started finding chocolate substitutes that would satifsy my craving but not be so bad for me, like weight watchers chocolate icecream bars & chocolate pudding cups. Then I started trying to make desserts that weren't chocolate, were other flavors, then I started to try to replace desserts with fruit like desserts bc fruit is sweet. Right now i couldn't tell you the last time I had chocolate or craved chocolate. And the other day I thought about how I would always go out shoping & stop at McDonald's for an ice-cream cone. I didn't even want one when I thought about it. That is a pretty amazing feat in & of itself. So I guess I'm saying, baby steps....
  • cherries12345
    cherries12345 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! There is some good advice that I will follow! I think I need to give myself an under 2000 cal. Cheat day ( Sunday?) and also distract myself like many of you said.
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    also ,maybe you need higher protein snacks . I used to hate eating celery but when I eat a celery stalk with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter or nutella it satisfies the knowing hunger as well as my sweet tooth . it really does cut out almost all of my cravings if I don't wait until I am too hungry . Getting hungry kills my calories because I cannot eat healthy when I am hungry I always eat too much . Maybe you are letting yourself get too hungry ?

I hope you can figure it out soon.
  • chuckles71
    chuckles71 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I need a good red beans and rice receipe. There are a lot on the web but I don't eat pork. So if you have one please share. Vegetarian would be even better. Thanks
  • comittobethin
    comittobethin Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    also ,maybe you need higher protein snacks . I used to hate eating celery but when I eat a celery stalk with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter or nutella it satisfies the knowing hunger as well as my sweet tooth . it really does cut out almost all of my cravings if I don't wait until I am too hungry . Getting hungry kills my calories because I cannot eat healthy when I am hungry I always eat too much . Maybe you are letting yourself get too hungry ?

I fully agree with this. I have found that when I try to push myself to wait that extra hour until I eat, I have a harder time eating my salad and start craving that hamburger. To fix that, I take cheese sticks, greek yogurt cups, and small food items with me pretty much wherever I go so that I am never feeling hungry. Staying ahead of my hunger seems to be my best weapon for not going overboard. There are still days where I slip up, but my slip ups are becoming less damaging. Instead of eating fast food until I burst, I will over eat on healthier things which add up to 2000-2500 calories rather than 5000. :smile:
  • writemusic4him
    writemusic4him Posts: 312 Member
    Options

I fully agree with this. I have found that when I try to push myself to wait that extra hour until I eat, I have a harder time eating my salad and start craving that hamburger. To fix that, I take cheese sticks, greek yogurt cups, and small food items with me pretty much wherever I go so that I am never feeling hungry. Staying ahead of my hunger seems to be my best weapon for not going overboard. There are still days where I slip up, but my slip ups are becoming less damaging. Instead of eating fast food until I burst, I will over eat on healthier things which add up to 2000-2500 calories rather than 5000. :smile:

I've also learned that if I let myself get too hungry waiting for the right time to eat because it is too soon, then I overeat at that meal because I'm trying to get rid of the growling stomach...
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    i just put myself on the waitlist to see a nutritionist/dietian. Kind of afraid that she'll just be a waste of time and tell me what I already know but I need some kind of kick in the pants. Lets hope this provides some much needed motivation. i'll keep you posted.
  • vmcshannon
    vmcshannon Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian and when I make red beans and rice I use Morningstar soy crumbles if I am cooking for me and my husband. If just for me I add chopped peppers, tomatoes, carrots or any other veggies I have around. Just a little olive oil and some of my favorite herbs for flavor.