First Doctor's Appointment

Options
amyjpage
amyjpage Posts: 97 Member
So I had my first doctor's appointment today (7w3d) and it was actually a major disapointment.

I did a urine test and she gave me some forms for blood work and ultrasound. That is all. She won't do an exam without having that info first. Argh. How frustrating.

I asked if she could at least listen for a heartbeat and she bluntly said, no, not until 9 weeks, it's too early.

My husband asked how many calories I should be aiming to consume in this first trimester and she didn't really answer, and said not to worry about it and that given that I am currently about 40 pounds overweight I should aim to only gain about 20 pounds during this pregnancy, at the rate of about 1-2lbs per week in the second and third trimesters (which my calculations is 26-52 pounds). So really, I am more confused than before.

I was so disapointed. We did not learn anything new today other than I dislike this doctor (she is a new doctor for me, my former, amazing wonderful doctor moved back to Australia).

In more exciting news, we were able to book our ultrasound appoinment for Friday November 1 - YAY!

My next visit with the doctor is November 12 for my first actual pre-natal appointment/exam, after which she can refer me to the maternity clinic in my area and I should be able to transfer my care to the maternity clinic in early December (thankfully!)

Replies

• IndianMuslim
    Options
    Oh no what a bummer! I'm also going to a new doctor this time around. When I called them to tell them I'm pregnant, they booked me for a pregnancy class first on November 5th. The class is supposed to explain how their office works and get us acquainted with the doctors and midwives. Then on November 11th, when I'm 9 weeks, I will have my official appt with the doctor + ultrasound.

Definitely a good thing you'll be transferring care soon. Nothing worse than having a doctor you don't care for being involved in your health care for the next 9 months. I think it is important to find someone that respects your birth plan and takes the time to answer all your questions thoroughly. Hope you find an amazing doctor at the maternal clinic!
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    Oh no! That is disappointing. :( And super annoying that you have to figure out a lot of things on your own as far as calories go. Will you be switching to a midwife?

That is super exciting that you've got an ultrasound booked for this coming week though! Yay! :D

My first appointment is this coming Monday with the midwife. I will be 7w5d by then... good to know that it's not super exciting on the first visit. :( Although that is disappointing. I didn't bother going to my doctor first because I'm actually trying to switch doctors right now anyway.
  • Lady_Lamb
    Lady_Lamb Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Bummer! I have my first appointment on Tuesday. I think they told me over the phone that I would be getting an ultrasound. I want baby daddy to come with, but I'm worried they will have to do a bunch of other stuff to me that he'll have to wait around through. I just want him to see the little bean!
  • amyjpage
    Options
    I have emailed the midwife clinics in my area and received an automated response from all of them that I will only be contacted if space becomes available :(

My sister-in-law has been to the maternity care clinic in our area twice and said the care she received was incredible, so I am not too worried, however I still have to deal with this doctor at least once, probably twice before my care is transfered to the maternity clinic.
  • PaulaDDN
    PaulaDDN Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    My first appointment is on Tuesday, I'm soo excited but I have not idea what they are gonna do to me. This is my second baby but I already forgot a lot of stuff about pregnancy. Hopefully everything is gonna be ok
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    I just had my first appointment! Pretty boring. It was pretty much just figuring out my medical history and explaining what's going to happen next et cetera. Then they sent me for blood work which I pretty much just got done as soon as I could so I wouldn't have to take another day off of work. Now I'm just waiting to hear when my first ultrasound will be (probably within the next week or two) and I'll be headed back for another appointment in 4 weeks. :smile:
  • BrainOnAStick
    BrainOnAStick Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    You'd think that doctors and their staff would figure out how to handle eager patients without offending us in the process.

My appointment started with a sit-down with one of the office's billing clerks. The purpose was to talk about how much the birth would cost. Money is a difficult topic for my husband and I--so this introduced an element of stress to an appointment for which we were already nervous and excited.

Then, the nurse, with no introduction, just blurted out "What was the first day of your last period?" I paused and said, "Hello. My name is India. What's your name?"

Gratefully, my doctor is awesome and our conversation with her undid the harm of a bad first impression.

We do a BIG appointment this Friday, which I assume will include an ultrasound. I can not tell a lie: I am excited!
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    Whoohoo! I hope all goes well with the ultrasound! :)
  • Lady_Lamb
    Options
    First appointment today! So excited!
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    Is it typical to get an ultrasound right away? I didn't get my first ultrasound with my daughter until 5 months along. I am expecting #2 now, have my first appointment this Friday.
    Luckily, I have the same doctor as last time and I love him! He'd better at least try to listen for the heartbeat, although, from what I understand I may not hear it??? Is it true you can hear the heartbeat until 9-10 weeks? With my daughter, my first prenatal was at 7 weeks pregnant and I heard the heartbeat.
  • Lady_Lamb
    Options
    We had our first appointment today and we got an ultrasound. I found out I am not as far along as I thought. 7 weeks 2 days instead of 7 weeks 6 days. We could see the heartbeat, but we didn't hear it (or try to hear it). It was exciting! I was surprised by how quickly everything went. We barely talked! Just tons of tests! We scheduled our next appointment for next month. I'll be 11 and a half weeks then and they will give me another ultrasound and check for down's syndrome.
  • IndianMuslim
    Options
    That's great news Lady_Lamb. My eldest has Down Syndrome. They told us around 20 weeks that there was a possibility. We did several tests like a fetal echocardiogram and level 2 ultraosunds. I declined the amniocentesis because of the risks involved with it. When I was about 7 months, I had a doctor tell me everything was perfectly fine. My daughter was born 3 days past her due date and didn't really show signs of Down Syndrome. Three days later a hospital-assigned pediatrician came to our room and said she wanted to do some tests. My daughter was in the ICU because of jaundice and feeding issues. They confirmed she had Trisomy 21. Although it was difficult to absorb at the time (I was a 22-year-old mother), I wouldn't trade her for any other kid in the world. She truly is a gift from God. Last night while I was throwing up in the toilet, she was rubbing my back and telling me everything was going to be okay.
  • amyjpage
    Options
    Lady_Lamb that's great! I'm so glad you got to see the heartbeat!! &w2 is only 4 days difference from your calculation ... does that mean it changed your due date slightly too? Our ultrasound is on Friday morning and I really cannot wait!

Indian - thanks for sharing your story about your daughter, I can't imagine hearing that news - especially as a first time mother at 22 years old. She sounds like a little gem and must be very excited about a new little sibling!
  • IndianMuslim
    Options
    Thanks Amy, she is super excited. She absolutely adores babies :smile:
  • cleaneater80
    cleaneater80 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story IndianMuslim. I saw my family Dr. earlier this week and had a choice to do a chromosomal test at week 12. Never thought I would have to think about that right now. I'm hoping to use the same OB my sister had since she loved having her for her 2.
    Excited to hear the heart beat but that will have to wait till next month for me
  • IndianMuslim
    Options
    Apparently there's a new noninvasive blood test they do at week 12 or 13 that can check for chromosomal abnormalities. I have decided to opt only for that blood test along with the standard ultrasounds. We don't believe in abortion so had I found out earlier about my daughter, I still would have carried her to term. It would be nice to be prepared a little better this time around though.

I am anxiously awaiting my ultrasound on November 11th. Can't wait to hear the heartbeat. I'm actually praying for two little heartbeats so I can have twins and be done....lol. I don't know if I can go through pregnancy again. I forgot how rough my pregnancies are!

Good luck to everyone on their appts :-)
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    That's so sweet with your daughter rubbing your back. :) Sometimes kids just know the right things to say, especially kids with downs. I've worked closely with down's kids before, they are all so sweet!

My ultrasound is on Nov 12th! So excited! :)
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    My first appointment is 11/5 and they told me i'll be doing an ultrasound first, and then seeing the OB! I'll be 7+2 so i'm excited!
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    Is it typical to get an ultrasound right away? I didn't get my first ultrasound with my daughter until 5 months along. I am expecting #2 now, have my first appointment this Friday.
    Luckily, I have the same doctor as last time and I love him! He'd better at least try to listen for the heartbeat, although, from what I understand I may not hear it??? Is it true you can hear the heartbeat until 9-10 weeks? With my daughter, my first prenatal was at 7 weeks pregnant and I heard the heartbeat.

Hey, I'm getting an ultrasound right away because I never had regular periods and I really could be anywhere from 8 to 9 weeks along right now. It's really just to get a firm due date.

I have heard that you can hear the heartbeat at 10 weeks with a doppler machine. I've heard that the heart starts beating before most women even know they're pregnant so I guess it's possible at any time. :)
  • amyjpage
    Options
    I went for my first ultrasound today and it was amazing!!!

My calculations had me at 8w3d but the technician dated me at 9 weeks today! It was the coolest thing to be able to see the heart beat and the little arms and legs!

I will be returning for another ultrasound between 11-13 weeks for nuchal translucency ultrasound - but I have to look that up because I don't know yet what it is.

Our next doctor's appointment, which is actually our first pre-natal appointment (the last one didn't count hahah!) is November 12.

Today is the best day ever! I am so relieved to have seen that little heart beat!! <3