wk28Oct to 3Nov Training Progress

Options
Qski
Qski Posts: 246 Member
Hi All,
I haven't done any Zombie Training this week yet, but I thought I would start the topic to see how you are doing?

cynforgiven, the only times I have got very shaky (other than muscle workouts which are just hurting muscles) are due to blood sugar - starting a workout when totally famished, and the other was due to blood pressure, I am on blood pressure medication, and the doc said that I could not try any workouts if I wasn't because I would probably pass out.
Hope you are ok?!

Are the things you get to pick up in the main game random? if they are then it's more than fine to talk about them. Hope you get a sports bra soon!

Replies

• Vaugirard15
    Vaugirard15 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting us off on a new week again, Qski!

I did Week 6 Workout 1 today. I can't believe how much I ran! In 53 minutes, I covered 4.61 km which isn't that much except that at least 6.5 minutes of the workout was stretching exercises. This week is so different from previous weeks! There was a 10 minute free-form run in the beginning then three separate 7 minute free-form runs in the middle/end! I ran for about 7 minutes total-- 5 minutes run, walking, 1 minute run (couple of times) in the first run then on the last three I ran about 4 minutes out of each run (Dr. Myers comes on at 2 min, 4 min & 6 min so that helped me pace myself!). That makes about 19 minutes of running total! I just can't believe it! (I remember how hard the 1.25 minutes of running in Workout 1 was all too clearly). It was especially surprising, too, since tomorrow I have my biweekly shot for arthritis so usually this would be a really slow day for me.

The game items appear to be random. In the regular season, you can build up your base by collecting items. When I listened to Mission Radio (which is like a radio program that plays my playlist and which doesn't reveal the Season 1 story line), I "picked up" objects while out and about.

Stay strong, Runner 5s! Hope you are having a good week, too!
  • cynforgiven
    Options
    Hi everyone! My week's already gone kinda weird (for lack of a better way to describe it). I did 2 5k missions (Week 2 #3 and week 3 #1) and a regular mission (S1 M7) yesterday. Didn't set out to do that, but it happened. I work nights and usually it's the end of the week when I start having problems getting enough sleep. When I did my run yesterday at 3p I'd already been awake for 12 hours and sleep was nowhere in to be found. I guess was hoping that it would make me tired enough to get some sleep if I went that long. It nearly worked though. I did manage to stay awake all night at work without caffeine (YAY) and even managed to change into pajamas before crashing into bed this morning, Not planning to do any zombie missions today, but I'm going to try to do some yoga or sworkit training to get some cross training in.

Qski - I talked to my husband who has much more workout equipment experience than I do (never set foot on a treadmill til a year and a half ago and then it was for only 1 mile at a 20 min/mi pace a few times a week for a month). He said that what happened with my legs does happen sometimes due to the repetitive muscle use - your legs get used to the body staying in place while the ground moves and sometimes it takes a bit for them to "remember" how to move the body on stationary ground. Dunno how close to true that is, but it accurately describes what happened. he said he's never heard of anyone taking as long as I did to recover, but maybe it was because it was my first time going that long. If i do the treadmill again I'll just be sure to take "floor breaks" so that doesn't happen again.
    And like Vaugirard15 said - item pick up is random and has nothing to do with the plot. The few items you pick up that ARE plot related you don't "keep" anyway - meaning they aren't included in your item total list. I don't care about spoilers personally, but I totally respect anyone who does. I wouldn't divulge any of the plot unless someone specifically asked.

Vaugirard15 - Were you nervous when the missions started upping the run times? I've never been a runner so when I see it says "run 5 minutes" I immediately panic. I know I can back off and do only as much as I'm able, which helps, as well as take it slow and repeat missions until I'm comfortable to move on. And I can already do way more than I could a month ago :) I think it's great you've improved that much! The exercise might be easing your arthritis too, that may be why you're moving easier than usual before your shot. If you don't mind me asking - what shot are you taking and for how long? My sister has some issues with her hand (she's a teacher) that really affect her day to day abilities sometimes.

Run well and stay safe out there!
  • cynforgiven
    Options
    and many apologies for writing a novel :) lol
  • Vaugirard15
    Options
    Hi, all! Up until a few weeks ago, I pretty much walked all of the free form runs. I also repeated workouts a lot-- I started around 8/20 and here it is 10/29 and I'm just starting week 6! But even with the repeats, I mostly walked all of the free forms. I only do Zombies twice a week. Sometime around late Week 3, I started to try running little bits of the free forms. A couple of weeks ago I had a week with absolutely no energy … which made it all the more surprising that I did well today!

I'm taking Humira for psoriatic arthritis (not osteo-- though I get a little of that, too). Losing some weight and moving more has been helpful but then I'll have times, like 2 weeks ago, when I'm completely run down. I'm still trying to find my magic calorie count number, too, though, so that might be part of the energy problem, too.

And, yeah, seeing the longer numbers is a little scary-- but that was case when the "longer number" was moving from 15 seconds of running to 30 seconds! Today, I just told myself I'd do what I could but I also did try to push because I wanted to see what I could do without stopping too early. :-) I had to really work at not going out too fast in the beginning so that I could run longer.

The 5K is starting to seem possible… though the idea of running 20 minutes (which is next week, I think) is a little scary! I've set my goal for our local 5K in April.
  • Qski
    Options
    Hey Hey
    I love reading and writing, so I think we are all good on the novels! :)

I did my second wk3day2 on Wednesday morning, I felt really good and didn't realise but I upped my pace again (after slowing down for the physio thing) . I am not sore in the shins, so that is great but I found the 1 min drills very tough again, after being able to do them at the lower pace. (It's not a huge difference though pace wise - my fastest km so far was 9:07mins. When I managed all the runs I did that km in 9:26 but my first km was 11mins. But when I didn't make the full drills my first km was 10min. So I think if I don't go too fast in my first km I can do the run drills ok.

I am not even sure that is going to make sense to anyone but me LOL
    Now I am not sure if I want to try again at the faster pace because I nearly finished the drills or to slow down so that I can comfortably do them.

The step up from 30seconds to 1min runs has been a big step for me, and I have now done 5 days of wk3 missions, I didn't mind repeating as much I thought I would (for example I would hate to rewatch an episode in a tv show, delaying the next piece of the puzzle) but I actually laughed a bit more at the cooky-ness in the repeat.

Note to Self: - need to investigate radio missions!

Vaurigard15 - you are totally kicking butt and my Runner 5 hero! 19 mins or running in a mission is fantastic!

I just saw on a strength forum someone refer to their walking/jogging as wogging, so I think I am going with wunning :D
    it needs to be an official term.

cynforgiven - your husband's theory sounds very much like "sea legs" and "land legs" I can relate to that, and it sounds way less serious than what I said, so happy that it could be that!

I am thinking about going to join a gym before it gets too hot to run outside (temps get up to 40-45celsius here in summer) not sure how stopping to do calf raises works on a treadmill though or the speeding up and slowing down to run and walk - from memories treadmills take a while to adjust the speed right?

I also got very scared about the running times, I had a major panic about wk3 initially, but then Vaugirard15 told me that it would be ok and Dr Meyers says something to start so I was fine.

Hope all is well with you
    Take Care
  • Vaugirard15
    Options
    Hi, Runner 5s!

Another good run today. Ran about 17 minutes: 6/10 min, 4/7 min, 3/7 min, 4/7 min. I was fine with that given that Tuesday was so good but then saw my stats:

Tuesday: 4.61 km, 53:30 min, 11:36 min/km
    Thursday: 4.78 km, 53:12 min, 11:07 min/km

So actually went faster today than Tuesday. I do like that Doc Meyers is consistent with the time prompts. She says something at 3, 5, 7 & 9 minutes on the 10 minute run and 2, 4 & 6 minutes on the 7 minute runs so I was able to tell myself to run two, walk two, etc. She also gives a 15 sec warning before the end of the stretches so you can un-contort yourself! ;-)

Did you download the free Halloween episodes? See the Zombies Run blog! I think I'm going to save them up for next month when I'm traveling and will probably need to use a treadmill at the hotel.

You guys are so encouraging! I really appreciate the votes of confidence!

Have a great Halloween!
  • Vaugirard15
    Options
    And my "running" was more of "wogging" than "wunning"… some of it a mix of "slogging" and "walking" more than "jogging" and "walking"! :-) But I don't care! I did it and that makes me surprisingly happy!
  • IMElektra
    IMElektra Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi Runners 5s,

I am new and I have just completed Week 2 Workout 3. Do you run on a treadmill or outside?
  • Vaugirard15
    Options
    Welcome, IMElektra!

I run outside but I live in California so the weather will stay pretty good until February. February-March is our rainy season. Haven't quite decided how i want to deal with that yet (run outside in the rain or find another option). Where do you run?
  • Qski
    Options
    Hi Everyone and welcome IMElektra!

I think it sounds similar to me your run paces Vaugirard15 because you ran a teeny bit more on Tuesday yeah? maybe that is the only difference in pace? I am actually surprised by how much faster the km is that I am doing my run drills in than the rest. Because it is only a teeny bit of running!

I am totally in awe of your running/wunning/slogging/wogging anyhow and can't wait to get to that level!

I am currently wunning outside on the road, but it can get very hot here and it's coming up to summer so I took over someone's gym membership today and I am going to do some on a treadmill too. I have read in some articles that if you set the treadmill to a 3% incline it will be a similar level to running on the road.

I am not sure how i am going to go with speeding up and slowing down and stopping for stretches and calf raises on the treadmill though? I know they can be programmed so maybe I can just program the timings from the break down of what to expect. Though I don't know how that will work when I get to the main game.

I am going to have to buy the main app if I want those missions, I think. I will check out the blog tonight and grab them. I am going to attempt to do my mission later tonight when it cools down - I should have gone out this morning, but I had some housework to get out of the way before I left for work, so did that instead.

I am busy repeating Week3 Missions
  • Vaugirard15
    Options
    Qski-- the regular missions were on a half price sale yesterday so it might be a good time to pick them up! Yes, the radio comes as a sideline to the mission. From what I understand, if you set a mission time to an hour (you can choose 1 hour or 30 minutes) then run longer, the radio kicks in. Or you can just listen to the radio. I used to use a treadmill in the gym (many eons ago) and it had a little arrow button I could use to increase/decrease the speed incrementally. That might be what you'll need to use. There might be some kind of indoor track at the gym, too. Me? I've heard that we aren't getting as much rain this year as last so I'm just not thinking about it too much yet.

I repeated all of week 3. Wonder if that's just a turning point for a lot of people…

Our little group is growing! How nice!
  • cynforgiven
    Options
    Hey everyone!
    After my weird Monday I ended up taking 2 days off - didn't plan it, it just turned out that way due to life upheaval (quit my job Wednesday).
    I did week 3 workout 2 and Season 1 mission 8 last night then the first two Halloween missions today, too.

As far as the treadmill, when i used my sisters i just increased the speed for the run times by about 0.5mph then decreased 0.4 for the walking (that way I could build up my walking speed without getting worn out). as far as the calf raises I just put my feet on the side runners and did them that way, Another idea (which I'm going to try next time) is using the emergency stop magnet (the bit that attaches to you so that if you fall the machine will cut off so you don't get hurt as badly) to cut the treadmill off for the knee lifts and stretching sessions.

Hi IMElektra! Welcome aboard! I live in Louisiana so waling outside is comfortable right now, but I don't get to as much as I like because I live out of the city limits and there's no sidewalks to be able to walk safely so I usually just walk at home in combination with our elliptical.

On a side note - my sister has heard me talk so much about the app and collecting items and all that she asked me to show her around the app the other day. So I gave her a tour of both app and their differences and even played the helicopter crash segment from the first mission. I think she may be leaning towards conversion, but i don't know for sure yet LOL

Hope everyone has a good weekend and Safe running out there!
  • Qski
    Options
    Hiya
    I did my last repeat of the week 3 missions today and I should be moving onto week4 next. Slowed down my pace again so I could focus on getting the 5 run drills done, but I did also run in all the free form runs (only a teeny bit though, but some in all of them) so even though overall pace was lower than when I walk as fast as I can, still building on stamina.

Thanks for all the info on treadmill use @cynforgiven - and hope that the life upheaval with work is all ok for you!

I actually bought the Zombies, Run app yesterday (thanks for the heads up Vaugirard15) and will probably get the season pass, plus as well now that it's on sale. I got the training one on sale too US0.99c whichh really is ridiculously cheap for what you get! Also downloaded the the 3 halloween missions.

Looking forward to hearing more progress from everyone and hopefully we will be hearing about your sisters progress too Cynforgiven!
  • Vaugirard15
    Options
    Great work, Qski & cynforgiven!
  • cynforgiven
    Options
    So, my sister is a teacher with the local school board (special services - works with visually impaired students) and they held a 5k today for the employees and family members. I tagged along and my sister and I walked it in about 53 minutes. My first ever 5k!! I'm still excited nearly 12 hours later :) If you had asked me even 3 months ago if I thought I'd ever have enough courage to even try a 5k let alone finish one I'd have said "No way in the world but I'd really like to one day". And now I've done it :) I didn't say anything about it before bc I was afraid something would happen last minute and I wouldn't get to do it.

My sister also told me next spring they're going to have one of those obstacle course races here and that she was thinking about doing it. I told her if she signs up for it that I'd do it with her so I've got that to work towards now too.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!
  • Vaugirard15
    Options
    Great job, cynforgiven! That's wonderful!
  • Qski
    Options
    Great Work CynForgiven and your sister!

I have a little spreadsheet where I track all my data (yes I do double enter things from MFP and weight watchers and I track some extra things too) - I love data can't help it.
    Anyhoo, my current average time for a 5k doing wunning/wogging/slogging would be about 55mins

Your timing is fantastic for walking - that is some super fit walking!

There is a 4km mud race here on the 1st December but I don't think I will be able to run all of it by then. I would like my first race to be a Run all the way race if I can. There is a Park Run here every Saturday that is 5km so I would like to do one of that (or if there are any others I can find at the time I am close to doing the entire run). Then I can do a race mission too!

I grabbed the season plus pass and the extra race missions too before sale ends!
  • cynforgiven
    Options
    I'm not sure if I'm getting addicted to exercise or to the Zombies, Run! story (or maybe a bit of both) but I just finished season 1 missions 11, 12, AND 13 for a total of 77 minutes of exercise - 40 of which were on the elliptical. 40! Two 20 minute segments! I've never done that much time on the elliptical in one session. On the second I was so caught up in the story that I didn't notice most of the time passing.

Not sure if I should be worried but I'm going with it for now :bigsmile: (and yes, I'll watch to make sure I don't push it too far)