Jdaley90 Bulking Log

Options
jdaley90
jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
Hi All!

Just started my first bulk officially 2 weeks ago. Here's a little about me...

Height: 5'5
SW: 120.0
CW:131.6
Exercising 4x/week and following 5/3/1.

-Did Jamie Eason's LiveFit over the summer. Ate 1400-1700 net cals daily depending on workout. Went from 125.4/20.41% BF (7/6/13) to 120.0/16.53% BF (8/31/13).
-I was sick and only walking on a treadmill from 9/16/13 through 9/26/13. I did not weigh in before leaving so I'm not sure how much I weighed then.
-Got back from vacation on 10/12/13 and weighed 125.4.
-Have switched to TDEE method. Maintenance is 1878. Bulk is 2066-2100.

Since 10/12/13 I have gained 6.2lbs. I've put on a total of 11.6lbs since 8/31/13 in just over 9 weeks. Over the 9 weeks span its over a lb per week but that's still ok. I'm more concerned about the fact that 2.5 weeks I've put on 6.2lbs. Can this usually be expected?

---

ETA:

I've been lifting for about a year and a half

Stats:
Deadlift: 155lbs x 1 (10/22/13), currently 1.24x BW
Squats: 145lbs x 1 (10/22/13), currently 1.16x BW
Bench Press: 75lbs x 1 (10/22/13), currently 0.60x BW
OHP: 65lbs x 1 (10/22/13), currently 0.52x BW

I take a multi vitamin, fish oil, aminos, preworkouts, and protein powder. During the week I eat pretty well, weekends are obviously messier and not logged quite as well.

Replies

• TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Everything looks good! This is my first bulk, so I really can't tell you what's normal. I was up 3 lbs my first week and .8 lbs my second. I'm only two days into week 3. Best of luck to you!
  • jdaley90
    Options
    Thanks for the response, I appreciate it! I'll be keeping an eye on it :) I am wondering if me doing back to back months of BC (because I went on vacation and didn't want to deal with it) had something to do with it or if it's totally normal.

When I joined MFP I started at 134 and there's definitely an improvement to the way I look at 134 then and 131 now.

Just have to keep pushing forward mentally!
  • TriLifter
    Options
    You never know...hormones influence a lot!
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group!

a handful of lbs the first few weeks of increasing cals to TDEE or surplus can be expected. Especially if you were at a pretty high deficit. Your body is going to replenish glycogen/water stores right away.
  • jdaley90
    Options
    Welcome to the group!

a handful of lbs the first few weeks of increasing cals to TDEE or surplus can be expected. Especially if you were at a pretty high deficit. Your body is going to replenish glycogen/water stores right away.

Thank you! And good to know!!
  • karenboy29687
    karenboy29687 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My first bulk as well. For the first 4 or 5 weeks I cruised along at a lb per week gain. Then things began to level off, and I went 2 weeks with no weight gain, then jumped up a couple more pounds when I added creatine. During this time there were a number of factors that influenced my weight (TOM, sodium etc.) I think we just have to get used to the fact that there are a number factors that influence our scale weight, and that it fluctuates. I often go back & forth on how long I intend to bulk, and how much weight I'm willing to gain.
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    My first bulk as well, and I gained 2-3 pounds very quickly after eating above TDEE but after four weeks it leveled off and even dropped. I think the majority of the ladies experienced similar initial weight gains. Glad to have you join us. :flowerforyou:
  • TriLifter
    Options
    My first bulk as well. For the first 4 or 5 weeks I cruised along at a lb per week gain. Then things began to level off, and I went 2 weeks with no weight gain, then jumped up a couple more pounds when I added creatine. During this time there were a number of factors that influenced my weight (TOM, sodium etc.) I think we just have to get used to the fact that there are a number factors that influence our scale weight, and that it fluctuates. I often go back & forth on how long I intend to bulk, and how much weight I'm willing to gain.

Best comment ever! Yes, there are so many factors we have to remember!
  • jdaley90
    Options

Best comment ever! Yes, there are so many factors we have to remember!

I agree! Thanks for the reassurance ladies!

I'm thinking about starting creatine as well. Any thoughts on that?
  • TriLifter
    Options
    I started creatine when I started my bulk...it might also account for the big weight gain my first week. I don't know if it helps, but I don't think there's really a downside to trying it out,
  • maruby95
    maruby95 Posts: 204 Member
    Options

Thanks Karen- great reminder!!! Needed it :0.
  • jdaley90
    Options
    Officially hit 134.0 today. I weigh the same today as I did 2 years ago when I first started MFP. My body shape as changed and I look slimmer now but It's scary and I'm starting to hit a mental block!
  • karenboy29687
    karenboy29687 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    You said it yourself, your body has changed, you look slimmer. Hey, I go through it too, no matter how much I hear that the scale should not be the judge of our progress, I continue as well to give it too much power. DAMN THAT SCALE! I weigh fairly frequently to make sure I'm not gaining too quickly, my goal is to gain at this point, yet every time in gain an ounce I shutter. How ridiculous is that?
  • jdaley90
    Options
    You said it yourself, your body has changed, you look slimmer. Hey, I go through it too, no matter how much I hear that the scale should not be the judge of our progress, I continue as well to give it too much power. DAMN THAT SCALE! I weigh fairly frequently to make sure I'm not gaining too quickly, my goal is to gain at this point, yet every time in gain an ounce I shutter. How ridiculous is that?

I definitely understand how you feel! I'm afraid I am gaining too quickly though. It seems like every time I step on the scale I'm up 2 lbs. I did had a very food filled weekend and am just finishing my cycle but it's still frustrating! Just need to keep toughing it out! Must think of the muscles!
  • TriLifter
    Options
    I totally understand--I was in a deficit for 5 our of the last 7 days. Not on purpose, really, but I think mentally it's hard to get into the surplus mindset!
  • jdaley90
    Options
    Quick Update:

So I've been chilling between 133 and 134.6 for the last 10 days or so. I think my weight gain has finally evened out/slowed down. I've taken cals down to about maintenance for the time being and am on the 3rd week of 5/3/1-- deload time next week! As I get into december I'll consider adding more cals back in. I was considering starting creatine but haven't done so yet...
  • TriLifter
    Options
    Sounds good. Slow is usually better when it comes to weight, so I think you made a good decision. You'll probably retain water when you start the creatine, so don't freak if the scale goes up when/if you start taking it.
  • jdaley90
    Options
    I haven't weighed myself since my last updated (no scale lol) but I figured I'd do a quick update since. I'm finishing my first 5/3/1 cycle and deloading this week. I've been feeling really powerful lately. Last week for my 5/3/1 week I pushed 65x6 on OHP, 130x6 on DL, 65x11 on Bench Press, and 125x5 on Squats. Looking forward to starting my next cycle and really getting those reps closer to one at a higher weight! On another note my work pants are starting to get really tight in the quad and butt areas.. not a bad problem to have I suppose! My family has noticed the extra weight and is especially jealous of my butt :) Happy bulking!
  • TriLifter
    Options
    Awesome job! I'm about to have a deload followed by a rest week (it's how the paln I'm doing is designed). Hopefully that will allow me to rip it up when I start stage 2!

I'm not looking forward to seeing my mom for Thanksgiving. My work pants are also tight in the butt and quads and I know ther will be some not-so-nice things said about me then. Fun times.
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I haven't weighed myself since my last updated (no scale lol) but I figured I'd do a quick update since. I'm finishing my first 5/3/1 cycle and deloading this week. I've been feeling really powerful lately. Last week for my 5/3/1 week I pushed 65x6 on OHP, 130x6 on DL, 65x11 on Bench Press, and 125x5 on Squats. Looking forward to starting my next cycle and really getting those reps closer to one at a higher weight! On another note my work pants are starting to get really tight in the quad and butt areas.. not a bad problem to have I suppose! My family has noticed the extra weight and is especially jealous of my butt :) Happy bulking!
    That powerful and strong feeling is a really cool part of bulking, isn't it? I'm digging it a lot myself as well :wink: