new here need help

Options
iwantwow
iwantwow Posts: 152 Member
guys just got my fitbit flex(yeyyyyy)...as anniversary gift from hubby...now i have no idea how to use it....also i have nokia lumia 900 and i dont know if it would sync with it or not(not a tech pro)....So please help...also my hubby is asking me if i want the other one with clip and i dont know which one is better..please help...

Replies

• iwantwow
    Options
    bump
  • tjmahoney
    tjmahoney Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the Flex; it's a pretty cool product if you want to monitor your activity level, sync with an online food diary (like MyFitnessPal) and with other app. I've had mine about a month and love it. For syncing, the nokia you have probably won't connect with it. That is a windows based phone with Bluetooth 2.1 if I read the specs right. You need to have Bluetooth 4.0 to sync. Here's a list to cut and paste into your browser: http://www.fitbit.com/devices. Personally, I have an iPhone 4, not even the 4S and I cannot connect via Bluetooth because the chip is a lower level than what is need. No problem though; I keep the wireless sync dongle plugged into the USB of my laptop all the time. To sync, I have the icon in the tray at the bottom and right click on it, select sync.

Good luck!
  • iwantwow
    Options
    thanks for the reply...one more question.....do i need to add my strength training on mfp or fitbit will log it...because i have heard that it doesnt go very nicely with them
  • tjmahoney
    Options
    No, fitbit doesn't add the calorie burn from strength training. I struggle with this also but to be honest, they make valid points. There's so much variability in training, weights lifted, rest periods and so much individuality in routines that no calorie burn is given. That said, you can search under the cardiovascular section and they'll give suggestions but always with the disclaimer that it may be inaccurate for a particular user. I suppose that's reasonable. If you somehow know the calorie burn from an exercise or a routine that you generally do, you can make your own individual entry and then select it after the workout.

fitbit does account for cardiovascular, like treadmill, but I also find this estimate low; well, for me anyway. So I enter what I do on MFP and I believe it syncs the burn to fitbit. I do interval to increase the fat burn and I vary the incline (2% for 1 minute of powerwalk at 4.2 mph, 3% for 1 minute of run at 5.8 mph, 0% for rest period at 3.5 mph - that's just my routine and I pretty much do the same thing every time, only varying between 30 minutes and 60 minutes). Because I vary it, I made my own entry called "interval treadmill" and I enter the calorie burn that the treadmill gives me. What is important is to add the time the exercise began so fitbit can make the adjustment. Now, I could be wrong on this but I've tried it both ways; entering it and not entering it. fitbit seems to upload the exercise from MFP when it syncs. What fitbit does account for is the steps and the amount of active minutes.

Again, I'm not an expert; I've just done a little research and mostly have learned by trial and error. Hope that helps.
  • tjmahoney
    Options
    If you'd like to be friends here, please send me a request. Always like to connect with others with the same fitness goals and same likes. If you'd like to connect on fitbit, my URL is www.fitbit.com/user/27VNNW.