Insulin Shot Sites Splitting Skin

Options
Italian_Buju
Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
Hello everyone.....I have been a diabetic for about 25 years, and take 7 shots a day.....I use my tummy and have noticed starting last week, that I had these strange scratches on my stomach, almost looking like a cat scratched me or something. Well, today, when taking my morning shot, I actually watched it appear, steaming from my shot, almost like the skin is splitting where I inject. I just tried looking this up on google, but without luck. Has this happened to anyone else?

Replies

• BeFitwithT1
    BeFitwithT1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have never had this happen in my 16+ years of being diagnosed T1. I think a call to the dog is in order!
  • BeFitwithT1
    BeFitwithT1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Doc, I meant Doc ;) *grumble grumble autocorrect*
  • Krista_1
    Krista_1 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have 2 sons both with type 1 diabetes, and I have never seen this in 10 + years with them having it. Yes, I agree, it would be good to get this checked out medically as soon as possible.
  • Corinne_Howland
    Corinne_Howland Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Have you changed anything? Brand of syringe, insulin? Sounds almost like an allergic reaction. I agree with everyone else. Time to see the doc.
  • Ghomerzgirl
    Ghomerzgirl Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    This happened to me several years ago (back when I was using pork insulin so 12 yrs or so ago). I was not good at changing my injection sites, always used my legs. I talked with my Endo about it and found that I was having a reaction with the pork insulin and because the scar tissue from my injections were the cause of the splitting. I have been T1D since 1991. I would definitely go to the Dr and talk with them about it and make sure you are regularly changing sites. I started using R.Leg, L.Leg, L.Arm, R.Arm, R.Butt, L.Butt, L.Tummy, R.Tummy, and then started back over with R.Leg. That way it gave my sites time to heal properly. Also I agree that it could be a change of needles, alcohol swabs, anything. Also you can try using a moisturizer with Aloe or Vitamin E in between injections.

Jenn