Bulk Mode - 2 months in

Options
Excited to join this group!!! My MFP friend, Karen told me about it and I had to jump on board. I also started my bulk in late August. Upped my cals to 2300 from 2000, changed my macros to 40c/30p/30f (initially it was 40p/40f/20c - I cycled carbs - worst thing ever LOL), started creatine, limited my cardio and I weight train 4-5 days/week, lifting heavy. Boy I did see gains immediately in the gym (and scale - HA!). I think it was the increase in carbs and extra cals, combined with creatine. I'm up 10 lbs and it looks like the weight gain is slowing. Whew! It came on rapidly! I must say, I am much stronger and loving my new bootay and body composition (minus the extra fluff in the midsection) : ) I plan to bulk until Dec 31 and then do a cut in January in hopes of muscle definition.

Has anyone had trouble cutting after eating at a surplus? I'm nervous about that. I am very much accustomed to eating 2300-2500 now!

Look forward to learning from the group, hearing your success stories, and supporting the group in their journey.

Erika
(my username is my first initial + my maiden name "Imhotep" - no I don't think I'm hot LOL!!!)

Replies

• jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Hi Erika, Welcome!!

Happy to see you here :) Awesome job bulking so far. I am thinking of starting creatine as well!
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Erika! Sounds like you've been doing a great job! For me, cutting is more about increasing cardio than decreasing food. I love to eat too much for that!
  • sagefitnessfanatic
    Options
    Thanks, ladies! And I am thinking I may rely on HIIT cardio for the deficit bc reducing food under 2000 just doesn't even seem possible at this point! : )
  • karenboy29687
    karenboy29687 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hey girl! So happy to see you here! I love hearing about your progress. In many ways I like my bulk body better than just being skinny ( been there, done that and it was so overrated !) I'm enjoying having some "curves" again. I'm concerned somewhat about the cut as well. There are many days when 2300 cals doesn't even seem like enough!
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

In reality you shouldn't have to create too much of a deficit if you go into a slow cut and give yourself time. If you give yourself a good 12 wks+ or as much time as you bulked you should be able to cut only 100-300 cals (depending on wt and leaness) and add in cardio. For myself I built my metabolism and LBM up that I can now cut at 2000 cals and I'm 5'2 125lbs. Cardio? I only do HIIT 2-3 times for 20 mins and nothing over 30. No 6x/wk 60+ min cardio for this girl, very counterproductive to my muscles. I don't have issues cutting, I don't like it of course but if I give myself time then it's more relaxing and not stressful. I'm currently doing a mini cut for 4 wks for vacation and I hate it. I will never do mini bulks then mini cuts again, it's a mind F.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i'm worried about the cut too, but i kinda have my mind on just dropping one of my workout snacks, , or eliminating a scoop of protein powder.

I also put on a bunch my first few weeks when i started the creatine. I was putting on slowly about .25- .5 a week before the creatine, and then creatine added about 6 pounds overnight. i hope that 6 pounds drops when i stop taking it.

speaking of food , i have been craving burritos soooo bad over the last two months!
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Welcome Erika. I'm worried less about cutting than I am about just maintaining a slow steady lean bulk to be honest. If i do it right, I'm hoping cutting will be the easy part. I may be delusional though. :noway: :laugh:
  • sagefitnessfanatic
    Options
    Welcome!

In reality you shouldn't have to create too much of a deficit if you go into a slow cut and give yourself time. If you give yourself a good 12 wks+ or as much time as you bulked you should be able to cut only 100-300 cals (depending on wt and leaness) and add in cardio. For myself I built my metabolism and LBM up that I can now cut at 2000 cals and I'm 5'2 125lbs. Cardio? I only do HIIT 2-3 times for 20 mins and nothing over 30. No 6x/wk 60+ min cardio for this girl, very counterproductive to my muscles. I don't have issues cutting, I don't like it of course but if I give myself time then it's more relaxing and not stressful. I'm currently doing a mini cut for 4 wks for vacation and I hate it. I will never do mini bulks then mini cuts again, it's a mind F.

Yes! Long, steady state cardio is over for me. No longer a cardio bunny LOL And this makes perfect sense. Doing a 4 month bulk so a 4 month slow cut makes sense. LOL @ mind F.
  • sagefitnessfanatic
    Options
    i'm worried about the cut too, but i kinda have my mind on just dropping one of my workout snacks, , or eliminating a scoop of protein powder.

I also put on a bunch my first few weeks when i started the creatine. I was putting on slowly about .25- .5 a week before the creatine, and then creatine added about 6 pounds overnight. i hope that 6 pounds drops when i stop taking it.

speaking of food , i have been craving burritos soooo bad over the last two months!

Creatine is no joke! weight gain came on w a vengeance! I went a pants size seems like overnight. This is my last week on creatine. Did it for 2 months, going to go w 2 months w/o it.
  • sagefitnessfanatic
    Options
    Welcome Erika. I'm worried less about cutting than I am about just maintaining a slow steady lean bulk to be honest. If i do it right, I'm hoping cutting will be the easy part. I may be delusional though. :noway: :laugh:

You'll have to lmk how it goes! Bulking is the easy part for me : ) Why can't I just bulk forever?!! My serotonin levels are crazy high. Oh happy days...
  • westcoastgrl21
    westcoastgrl21 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Sounds like you're off to a great start on that bulk! I'm in show-prep right now, I'll be starting on Monday with my reverse dieting / bulk process. Since I just got finished cutting (after about 8 months of lifting and riding the newbie gains, not a real bulk), I will tell you cutting honestly wasn't too bad. My cut was almost 100% diet, I only did 2 days per week of cardio, one HIIT and one 45 min steady-state, as my #1 goal was to preserve muscle. I also sometimes get cardio-induced migranes, so I really minimize cardio when possible. My calories were pretty low (1600 at the beginning, 1200 (yikes!) for the last couple of weeks), and still it wasn't awful. The more muscle you put on the easier it will be to get the fat off. Looking forward to following your bulking process and will probably have some questions as I embark on my first real bulk next week!!
  • sagefitnessfanatic
    Options
    Welcome! Sounds like you're off to a great start on that bulk! I'm in show-prep right now, I'll be starting on Monday with my reverse dieting / bulk process. Since I just got finished cutting (after about 8 months of lifting and riding the newbie gains, not a real bulk), I will tell you cutting honestly wasn't too bad. My cut was almost 100% diet, I only did 2 days per week of cardio, one HIIT and one 45 min steady-state, as my #1 goal was to preserve muscle. I also sometimes get cardio-induced migranes, so I really minimize cardio when possible. My calories were pretty low (1600 at the beginning, 1200 (yikes!) for the last couple of weeks), and still it wasn't awful. The more muscle you put on the easier it will be to get the fat off. Looking forward to following your bulking process and will probably have some questions as I embark on my first real bulk next week!!

100% diet - that's my downfall. Hoping i can focus and buckle down...2 weeks out of the month I'm spot on 2 weeks I'm not (darn hormones!) no excuses though I must do better. I want to get shredded like you ladies : ) and how exciting - show prep!!! All the best