Pressure in the lower belly--a newbie question

Options
mrs_n0rris
mrs_n0rris Posts: 65 Member
Hello ladies! I'm currently 27 weeks and lately it feels like something different is going on in there. Now i feel pressure on the lower part of my belly and I've noticed that baby girl seems to kick/move either down towards my feet or up towards my ribs. I'm a first-timer and a bit nervous, is this common? She still seems to be moving around enough in there it's just that the feeling has changed. We were at the midwife's last week and we heard her heart beat and had her growth and everything checked so I'm don't think anything major is wrong but this is all new to me and it's hard not to worry. Thanks in advance for any and all experienced replies :)

Replies

• rachael116
    Options
    I understand how you feel- this is my first also! I don't know if my pressure is for the same reason as yours, but I've been having the same thing (it actually started for me in my 22nd week). I spoke to my Dr. about it and she wasn't too concerned; she said it could be a few things but was likely contractions, and unless additional symptoms accompany them, they are perfectly normal. She also said that since the baby is taking up a lot of room (away from bladder/intestines) that sometimes the pressure/ change occurs after going to the bathroom, because the baby "sinks" back down. She also mentioned that cramping/pressure can occur if you are dehydrated. The major issues she told me to watch out for are backache, cramping & tightening more than 4 time an hour and increased discharge - at that point, she advised to sit still for awhile and drink 2 glasses of water and see if things improve. If they don't, I should call.

But, why don't you call your midwife to be sure? I'm sure she'll give you information to help alleviate your worries. Glad to hear that your last appointment went well! :)
  • HollyAnn_
    HollyAnn_ Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Agree^^
    This is my fourth pregnancy. 30 weeks now
    Baby could be head down, but as long as she, you did say girl I think, isn't engaged, as in moving down as well, should be fine. They change positions a lot sometimes.
    If it's cramping, what she said^ lol.
    Also think about how much you are lifting. I've had to restrict my weight limit to 15 ish pounds because I get crampy after holding something or lifting too much. But yes, sit and drink lots of water. If you have 4 " contractions" in an hour call someone or go to doctor.
    Good luck to both of you
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much - sounds like usual pregnancy discomfort to me. I'm at 27 weeks too (with daughter number two) and the aching and lower belly pressure has increased heaps in the last couple of weeks.

Either baby has her head or bottom down and you can just feel it more because she's bigger/heavier, or what you may be feeling is Braxton Hicks contractions - where the muscles in you uterus tighten in preparation for the real deal. If you've not had these before they can feel weird - like a tightening or pressure. They don't hurt but mine last for a minute or more at times and are brought on by walking uphill, lifting heavy stuff, sex and the like - they also happen randomly for no reason at all and will go away if you stop what you're doing or change position (real contractions won't).

If in doubt, definitely talk to your midwife/doctor. And it wouldn't hurt to read up on the signs of early labour, just in case.