Hoka Running shoes

Options
Anyone got opinions on the Hoka Running shoes? I'm due for a new pair of running shoes and was considering the Hoka Stinson Evo Tarmac? I run outside, mixed trail and pavement.

They are a bit expenise and wanted some opinions before I through down my cheddar for a pair.

Thanks,
Rach

Replies

• dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I got some in early September and I'm in love. I love love love them. Did I mention I love them? I've got the Bondi B 2 and I actually have a pair of Stinson trail shoes on my wish list.

The main difference for me (other than how crazy comfortable they feel as soon as you put them on) is the lack of leg fatigue after long runs. They've made a huge difference for me.
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I run in Hokas both on the trail and on the road. I remember seeing people wearing them at our local trail races and thought they were the most ridiculous things I'd ever seen and no way in hell would I ever be caught wearing them. I was in Brooks Cascadias when I started trail running but then a particular model came out one year that I absolutely hated. By now I was seeing the Hokas on tons of people on the trail so decided to give them a shot. So, sheepishly, I must admit I love them despite how silly they look.

But for the road I was staying in the Brooks Adrenalines and when it was time to replace them I went with the Tarmacs. They have been working out really well for me and also love them.

I hate making shoe recommendations because what works for me may not work for you. I've had friends try them and they've either loved them or hated them. Your mileage may vary.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I ran in Brooks Adrenalines for 10 years.

I'm now on my 2nd pair of Hoka Bondi B.

FWIW - I tried the Stinson Evo Tarmac and HATED them. The shoes was shoe, but the upper and tongue were so rough. I traded them in for Bondi and I liked them much better.

I did not instantly fall in love with them, as I wasn't sure what to make of such a soft and squishy ride. But now I'm sold.

As far as cost goes, I could only get 400 (450 max) miles out of my Brooks, I'm at 550 on my older pair already.
  • dorianaldyn
    Options

As far as cost goes, I could only get 400 (450 max) miles out of my Brooks, I'm at 550 on my older pair already.

Mine are still pretty new so I haven't experienced this first hand - but I have heard this from several sources - these shoes tend to last longer which helps normalize the cost when you look at how much you spend on shoes annually.
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options

FWIW - I tried the Stinson Evo Tarmac and HATED them.

That's so funny. I tried the Bondi B initially (no Tarmac existed at the time) and I hated those.
  • racheldeherrera
    racheldeherrera Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the posts. I plan to go to the local running shoe store and try a few pairs on.

Rach
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

FWIW - I tried the Stinson Evo Tarmac and HATED them.

That's so funny. I tried the Bondi B initially (no Tarmac existed at the time) and I hated those.

We're opposite foot twins!
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I have the Bondi B's and really like them. Try the different types on and see which one if any work for you. The only thing I found was that I couldn't alternate my shoes when I wore them. My foot never seemed to like either shoe then. I have to just stick to one pair until I'm done with them.
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Wow so weird to see this thread, reading my mind. :smile: I am thinking of these as well. I would like some extra support for my longer runs, I have noticed I get really sore - all over the place.

I was primarily looking at the Bondi B, wondering if it a good idea to switch shoes depending on distance, I am thinking to run in my Asics, shorter runs 10 and below, and then use the Bondi Bs for longer runs and whenever my legs are tired. They looks so clunky but when I tried them they felt weird but good. Not sure how they feel for long runs.

Is it a bad idea to alternate such different types of shoes.... Thoughts on this?
  • Cooriander
    Options
    Hm. thanks fuzzbunny, I guess you answered my question before I asked it.
  • Cooriander
    Options
    I gave in, I am running tomorrow in the Hoka Bondi Bs. I think my french heritage (long time ago), got to me, and I just had to try these. Tomorrow will be the test run :happy: super excited.

I got them locally so if there is a disaster tomorrow I can return them, even after the test run!
  • dorianaldyn
    Options
    I gave in, I am running tomorrow in the Hoka Bondi Bs. I think my french heritage (long time ago), got to me, and I just had to try these. Tomorrow will be the test run :happy: super excited.

I got them locally so if there is a disaster tomorrow I can return them, even after the test run!

So what did you think?
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I just ran on my Hoka Tarmacs for the first time today. Have been suffering with a posterior tibial tendon issue that has neccessitated the need to stop and stretch my left ankle numourus times after reaching the 2 mile point until the end of the run. Ran the exact same course I ran yesterday, had to stop and stretch 1/2 as many times and had less then 1/2 the discomfort (and I ran faster). Personally I think I am in love with these shoes. A bit on the odd looking side but they really absorb the shock to the ankles and knees!
  • Cooriander
    Options
    I also ran in mine today (Bondi 2). They definitely felt different. I felt more bouncy, but it may be that I'll need to adjust my form a bit. I felt slower -- yet my pace was faster. Flat surfaces and downhills were good. Some problem navigating up steeper hills. I was surprised how good I felt at the end of the run (as the review said). There was definitely protection from hard surfaces.
    But I only went for 8 miles, didn't want to go longer in-case I wanted to return the shoes.

Since I did not check my pace while running, I was surprised to discover that my pace was faster (since I felt slower). The ride felt better on my bones for sure. My back, femur, and hips benefited from the extra cushioning, but I did have some soreness of the bone / or tendon right below my right knee's outer side. I did have some missteps, because I was not used to the shoe, and how it reacted on surfaces. Still need to get used to these shoes. I enjoyed them, and I enjoyed my run. And I feel good right now.

While, I will not give up my Asics, I will keep these for hard surface (cement) and longer runs. I don't think I will race shorter races in these - but maybe as I get more used to them I reconsider.

I do not have a perfect fit - and I am not sure how to handle it. I think if I go bigger 1/2 size they will be to sloshie, but the top part of the toe box is slightly narrow (?narrow? -- it is the top of the box so narrow is quit not the right word)
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    So I just had to really test the Hoka's and went out and ran the same route today as yesterday and the day before. To my surprise I only had to stop and stretch one time today and was able to add an additional 1/2 mile. They are definately a different ride, and they weigh a couple of ounces more than my favorite Mizuno's, but the Hoka's are definately giving me protection from the pounding on the pavement. If this keeps up I expect to be back running my normal distances pain free within a month or two!
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I do not have a perfect fit - and I am not sure how to handle it. I think if I go bigger 1/2 size they will be to sloshie, but the top part of the toe box is slightly narrow (?narrow? -- it is the top of the box so narrow is quit not the right word)

Maybe the bigger size with some poofier socks?
  • Cooriander
    Options
    Thanks, yes I am exchanging them for a bigger size tomorrow. The store (and Hoka) is happy to exchange them. I was worried b/c I thought 8 miles were too much wear. So I am very happy. I will try the new size Sunday. Running in my Asics Fr/Sat (: long run Sunday in Hokas.
  • keenho
    keenho Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I bought the Hoka OneOne Tarmac shoes several months ago and at first, wasn't thrilled. However, as I trained in them and got a few long runs under my belt, I love them! I just ran the New York City Marathon in them. I finished in 3:54. I'm sold on them now and running the Wine and Dine Half Marathon at Disney World in them tomorrow night.
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    They look so ugly...but after hearing everyone's opinions I may need to try them...
  • kwilson18
    kwilson18 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My sister just finished a 100 mile race in them :)