Recommendations on healthy restaurants?

Options
donald149
donald149 Posts: 211 Member
Any recommendations on restaurants in Calgary that offer healthier options? (that actually taste good!)

Replies

• SmugCanucksGal
    SmugCanucksGal Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Ever been to The Coup? It a vegetarian restaurant that is FABULOUS!

I'm also g on more fresh local ingredients, places like Dairy Lane (West Hilhurst) & Farm (17th ave) are delicious.

Another yummy spot is Cafe Koi downtown in Victoria Park area I Believe. Great spot for a date as they often have live music and its small and intimate setting.
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    This Calgary girl is IN.

I have been too afraid to venture out into the big wide world of eating out and generally stick to cooking for myself. But I would love some healthy recommendations!

PS: The Coup IS excellent!
  • donald149
    donald149 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I agree on the home cooking. Especially breakfast, I'm eating on the run too often!

And how did I not know about the Coup? Will have to try it. Thanks....
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I know that both Boston Pizza and Applebees have healthy choice items on their menu, and they even list the calories for you!!
    I am not saying their food is healthy, in the sense of the term, but if you want to eat out and know how many calories you are consuming they are a good choice.
  • Cueball55
    Cueball55 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'm with everyone on the cooking for myself... But when I'm in town, I usually like to treat myself so I'd go do:

Japanese food - sashimi

Original Joe's - a) all their nutritional info is on their website with suggestions, b) they go out of their way to make healthier options on request like baked and unseasoned salmon, or unseasoned steak .... they've got their thai dressing that is really good too and according to their website pretty good calorie-wise.

Farm - less low-cal, more so quality ingredients healthy
  • superflyinmonke
    Options
    If you're on the run, I'd recommend Mucho Burrito. It's a pretty well balanced mean, but perhaps too much sodium.

There's Main Dish in Bridgeland that has a very healthy focus.

Anywhere you can get a brown rice option with sushi rolls and don't use too much soy sauce.

You can eat healthy a lot of places if you order the right meal or ask for vegetable substitutions and less sauce.
  • rjh1975
    rjh1975 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Based on the recommendation of another Calgary mama, my husband and I just tried The Chopped Leaf in Royal Oak. It reminded me a bit of a more refined Subway. They provide nutritional info for their food and they were very accommodating with our little girl (special made a wrap for her that wasn't on the kids' menu). It's totally out of the way if you don't live in the NW but, if you do, it was pretty good: http://choppedleaf.ca/menu_salads_wraps.php
  • Cueball55
    Cueball55 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I just went to the boxwood cafe ... super delicious, home-style healthy clean eats. local ingredient and community focused.

highly recommended!
  • LessJos
    LessJos Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Too late to answer your question?

To go along with Cueball55's definition of healthy eats I suggest: The District Tavern and Notable (mostly local, some organic and they make their own pickles, bacon etc.). I also like the Palomino (fresh pub food) and Pizza Gaga (organic crust, super fresh toppings). Also a good location for simple, good eats are usually farmer's markets.
    Aviv's bakery has great pizzas, sandwiches and breads. All organic.

All of them are probably not low calorie as they are restaurants and chefs don't cook counting calories.
  • LessJos
    LessJos Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I agree on the home cooking. Especially breakfast, I'm eating on the run too often!

And how did I not know about the Coup? Will have to try it. Thanks....

Are you talking breakfast sandwiches? Best gadget I ever bought is a breakfast sandwich maker! I know, I know sounds like a stupid thing to be excited about BUT it is a fantastic tool. I got it just before Christmas at Coop for $27 (Walmart had it for $19 but sold out at that time). http://www.hamiltonbeach.ca/hb_detail.php?item=25475C
    I make my own in less than 10 minutes. No mess, low cal, high protein and 1000 different combinations are keeping it interesting.
    My go to receipe right now is:

Costco flat rolls (100cal) or English Muffin (130cal)
    1 Egg (70cal)
    Spragg's back bacon (~25cal/slice)
    1 slice onion
    1 slice pepper
    10g cheese (~35cal)

Just put it all in (comes with easy instructions), 5 minutes, until the egg lifts the lid. Done. Clean up? Wipe down with damp towel, wash once a week maybe. It's great non-stick.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Boston Pizza's Chopped Chicken Salad is the healthiest salad I have ever seen on a menu, but on the topic of any restaurants to go to you could probably find healthy options at ANY sit down restaurant (not always including fast food). You just have to check out the menu and make changes to anything that you know would be healthy to ensure it is healthier or healthy enough for your diet.

Sushi I always hear is a great option so definitely something to try and go for and most vegetarian/vegan or raw food style restaurant will be pretty darn healthy as well.
  • shrewd1983
    Options
    Any salads are usually fine, minus the dressings. A Chicken sandwich or steak sandwich of some sort is usually low on calories as well, providing you hold off on the sauces and fries!

Myfitnesspal actually has an extensive list of menu items for various items in the food database, check it out.

Don.