Counting your juices

Options
JPriceGA
JPriceGA Posts: 508 Member
Hi! How are you logging your juices in MFP? I've been using the 15 day plan list of recipes, but am at a loss for logging them.

Replies

• spirit0f61
    spirit0f61 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I created recipes for each juice - adding the ingredients one at a time and saving the recipe in 'my recipes', By searching each ingredient, it totalled the calories per serving.
  • t_elliot
    t_elliot Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Check out Myphytos.com. Hundreds of juicing recipes with nutritional values and calories and a calculator to create your own! Great site.
  • JPriceGA
    Options
    Spiritof61 - I was wondering how accurate that would be given the amount of waste produced by the juicing process. It seems as though that would over-estimate the calories. But I could be wrong. That was my best thought though.
  • JPriceGA
    Options
    T_Elliott - Thanks! Interesting - they use the pre-juiced nutrition values to determine the nutritional count as well - looks like on average an 8oz juice = 100 calories.
  • t_elliot
    t_elliot Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Here is an interesting site with a formula for counting juicing calories. :smile:

http://www.all-about-juicing.com/calories-in-juicing-recipes.html
  • JPriceGA
    Options
    Great tip! "...find the calorie count (or nutrition data, if that’s what you are looking for, too) for each fruit or vegetable.
    List out the calories for each fruit or veggie on a paper, taking note of the fiber content.

Add up the total calories.

Every gram of fiber has about 4 calories. So you’ll want to multiply the fiber grams by 4 calories for each piece of produce. Then, subtract that from the total amount of calories that were in all of the produce."
  • spirit0f61
    spirit0f61 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    That's a good point re the waste and calories! I hadn't factored that in before. Thanks
  • Schatze1975
    Options
    Great tip! "...find the calorie count (or nutrition data, if that’s what you are looking for, too) for each fruit or vegetable.
    List out the calories for each fruit or veggie on a paper, taking note of the fiber content.

Add up the total calories.

Every gram of fiber has about 4 calories. So you’ll want to multiply the fiber grams by 4 calories for each piece of produce. Then, subtract that from the total amount of calories that were in all of the produce."
    That makes sense! I didn't think juice calories had as much as actually eating the produce!
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Schatze, I see you're looking to start counting ( and dropping ) some calories while juicing.... As some of your other friends have said.... please be very careful with this. If you're exercising, and feeling good, and feel the lbs coming off, please don't drop so low that you feel like cr@p and can't exercise.

Just from my personal experience.... I really wasn't up to exercising at all, when I was on straight juice. It was only after I added some calories back ( with Salads, nuts, and black beans mostly, and some chicken ) that I felt up to getting some exercise.

I'm just concerned that you're doing so well.... that you don't go overboard. Just please, be careful.