Liver Biopsy-Scared!

Options
ajacot924
ajacot924 Posts: 31 Member
Hey Everyone,
So I have had fatty liver disease since April 2012.
My numbers (AST and ALT) have remained elevated since then, but just a little bit about normal.
My GI doctor said we would watch it every 6 months with bloodwork and that's it.
In early October, my AST and ALT were in the 90's. In two weeks, they were in the 180's.
My doctor gave me two weeks to get my numbers down. I dived into this diet and exercise.
Just got my number back today. AST went to down 5 points, ALT went up 15 points.
My doctor wants to do a liver biopsy on Friday to rule out other issues. He said it isn't "normal" for people with fatty liver don't have numbers that high for that long.
I am so nervous about the procedure and also what we will find.
He said he is looking for hemochromatosis and cell abnormalities.
There were no masses at my ultrasound 18 months ago, but who knows now. He doesn't expect cancer, but he is still looking.
I am only 27 years old. This shouldn't be happening to me. I am so scared!
Has anyone had a liver biopsy?

Replies

• KisaraKaiba
    KisaraKaiba Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hi ajacot,

I can completely understand your fear and anxiety. I have not had a liver biopsy, so I can't tell you what it's like, but I can certainly sympathize with how you are feeling. One of my doctors mentioned the possibility of a biopsy and it scared the hell out of me. Please let us know what you find out and I wish you the very best for your procedure tomorrow.
  • KisaraKaiba
    Options
    Ajacot - any updates? How was the procedure? Did it give you and your doctor any answers?
  • ajacot924
    ajacot924 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks for checking in! It went fine. It wasn't pleasant by any means, but it was bearable.
    The results were as expected. Fatty liver disease, but with some scarring.
    Luckily my doctor says it is very early and that it can be reversed with weight loss.
    It has defintely gotten my butt in gear!
  • KisaraKaiba
    Options
    I'm really glad that you found out the results and were able to use it as a tool to motivate yourself! Like you said, it's best to have found out early. :)
  • erin3011
    erin3011 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    How are you doing now? I was just diagnosed and I'm going to see a gi doc soon. I've had a Sono and an MRI already. I have a tumor on my liver but it is not cancer thank goodness. I'm interested in how this diet has helped and on your progress. Feel free to friend me.

Erin
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I will be seeing a hepatologist at the end of the month. Don't know which tests he will do yet. Feel free to friend me.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    PS, One of the Liver Foundation doctors wrote a book with a liver foundation dietitian called Skinny Liver and I am in the middle of reading it to see exactly what I should/shouldn't eat.