What are your favorite healthy snacks?

Options
One of my biggest diet downfalls is having unhealthy snacks while watching a movie, reading a book, or running errands. It usually ends up being something like a muffin or chocolate rather than something that is at least moderately good for me. What are your favorite healthy snacks?

When I *am* behaving, my favorites are:

Red pepper hummus on celery sticks
A mix of cashews and dried cranberries
The low fat mini bags of popcorn (usually 100 calories)

And kind of unhealthy but I love it:

Pirate's Booty Veggie Booty

Replies

• ToTheRiot
    Options
    Favorite bad snacks, A can of Vanilla Coke, chips, and dip!
    Favorite good snacks, Pineapple and fat free yogurt, some nuts and bananas, or some slim fast chocolate bars :p
  • AlexK2013
    Options
    I try to stick with pre-portioned snacks otherwise I tend to eat too much. 100 calorie packs of almonds/walnuts and popcorn are my favorite. Apples and carrots are great, though somewhat boring lol. I also make turkey and cheese roll ups - I use the super thin cheese that is like 40 calories per slice and just wrap it around some turkey.

If I really need something sweet and I'm at home then I'll core an apple and put it in a baking dish. Put some cinnamon and honey on it and then bake it at 350 for like 40 minutes. It gets super soft and caramelized. It tastes exactly like apple pie, but without the crust (though the crust is my favorite part...).
  • PecorinoRomano
    PecorinoRomano Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If I really need something sweet and I'm at home then I'll core an apple and put it in a baking dish. Put some cinnamon and honey on it and then bake it at 350 for like 40 minutes. It gets super soft and caramelized. It tastes exactly like apple pie, but without the crust (though the crust is my favorite part...).

Yum, that sounds amazing!! I will definitely have to try that.

I've been on a veggie and dip kick lately. I made a dip that's not TOO awful for you, just fat free sour cream mixed with some italian seasoning.
  • ejason81
    Options
    I've been focusing on making sure I get enough fiber. I've been snacking on fruit, almonds and for a special treat, I've been eating some Kashi Cinnamon Crumble. I just eat it dry and it's really good!
  • Olive24219
    Olive24219 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Snacking is my downfall. I find I do great throughout the day and then late at night when the husband is home that's where everything falls apart. I love chocolate and chips and dip mmmm. I struggle with healthy snacks but that apple pie thing sounds delicious- going to have to try it. I also really like grapes and I read somewhere if you freeze them they almost taste candy-ish... Never tried it but have been meaning to. Something tells me they won't taste like sour patch kids though :(
  • vermonster14
    vermonster14 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I hate the markup on the 100 cal packs but they really do make it easier. I have a Halloween bag of 50cal goldfish packs in my desk at work that I've been enjoying recently! I also try to bring a fruit and some yogurt every day, I always eat the fruit. I have peanut butter to eat with apples or carrots, and one of my absolute favorite snacks is an apple with some extra sharp aged cheddar cheese. MMM!

I just got this box of snacks from Naturebox.com (like Birchbox but healthy snacks). My favorite so far is the Kettle Corn Nuts- so crunchy and with a nice sweet-salty balance. It's $20 a month, but let me know if you are interested because I can send you a referral code that is good for $10 off the first month (I get $10 off too if my referral signs up).
  • joleegirl88
    Options
    I love plain greek yogurt with some berries
    hummus (with corn chips or veggies)
    laughing cow cheese
    an apples with peanut butter
    a handful of pecans or walnuts
  • Olive24219
    Olive24219 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I love plain greek yogurt with some berries
    hummus (with corn chips or veggies)
    laughing cow cheese
    an apples with peanut butter
    a handful of pecans or walnuts

mmm laughing cow cheese.... also I forgot to add I love celery sticks with almond butter and sliced tomatoes with a drizzle of olive oil and feta.
  • SarahEGB
    Options
    Laughing cow cheese is my downfall sometimes. They're so fun to unwrap that before I know it, I've eaten 4-5 at a time.
  • bblondon44
    Options
    FROZEN MANGO! Seriously...deelish. I'm using it to try and cut my love for ice cream. I just eat the pieces frozen right out of the bag. They aren't rock hard by any means and some pieces legit have the consistency of ice cream. But with anything, moderation is still key.
  • e1221w
    Options
    I prepackage all my snacks for the week on Sunday afternoon just I just grab and go each morning :)

My go to snacks everyday are:
    3 ounces of carrots
    1/2 cup of grapes
    1/2 ounce of veggie stix
    apple with PB2
    2 ounces of tuna and 1 tbl of mayo

If I am craving something bad I have a vegan cookie from whole foods - I have a dairy allergy so it's quick and easy to grab one from their prebaked section!
  • Olympia_WB
    Olympia_WB Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I prepackage all my snacks for the week on Sunday afternoon just I just grab and go each morning :)

That's a brilliant idea that I am totally stealing. I need something on hand to replace my daily Poptart at work!

My favorite healthy snack is a whole avocado with a sprinkle of pink Himalayan salt. It's not exactly a low-calorie snack, but so many healthy fats!