Need to mix it up

Options
wkile76
wkile76 Posts: 33 Member
Hi all! First off let me introduce myself, I'm Wayne. I live in Titusville, Florida: which is on the East coast of central FL. I have a 12 year old daughter whom my partner and I are raising. My partner and I have been together for 11 years. I have been on a quest for a healthier lifestyle since 2008. At that time I was 250, and moving towards being back to the 298 that I once was. I worked my butt off and dropped down to 205. Sadly, I wasn't happy. That weight on my 6'2" frame made me look sickly. A skeleton draped with skin. My bestie as well as my b/f told me that I needed to put some back on, and I have to admit, they were right. But I keep putting it on, and got back to 250. OK, now onto my post.....

Since I've been being more dedicated, I've gotten down to 227/230 where i bounce. My goal is to get to 215 to 220. I have been running/jogging since the 1st of the year, and ran my 1st 5k this past weeked for the Neon Run in Orlando. But I'm doing weights. Which is where my desire to mix it up comes in. I will be honest, I don't know what I'm doing in the gym. The machines I get, but I'm lost on the free weights. And I want to do more. I want to have better definition, I want to have that "V" going down into my pants.....LOL.

I mean if you look back over my food log, one thing that I have noticed, and as of this week started cutting out, was beer....good bye old friend.......

What workout routine do you do? What weight exercises do you like/see results from? How many reps/sets? How much weight do I use? I've read more weight/less reps, and less weight more reps? WTH? Is it just me that feels really self conscious at the gym? I feel like with my size and frame I should be able to lift more and feel like others judge me...stupid right? Why am I having a hard time thinking "who cares"? I am doing this for me not them so why do I care?

And I realize I totally rambled in this.....thanks for your input

Replies

• onemoc
    onemoc Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    When I restart my fitness aspirations, I tend to aim for 2-3 sets and higher reps(12-15) with good resistance. I try not to be too light, but I recognize that I lost so much and need to put some muscle back on; my thought on the matter is that I am going to up my weight and do about 8 -10 reps first 4 weeks all over body workouts with machines then after that my muscles should be able start handling free weights. Fitness buddy on google play for workouts I haven't done before and need refreshers on. Don't sweat not lifting as much- it's better to lift lighter and have good form then heavier and mess your body up. Once I start stepping away from machines and incorporating free weights I start seperating muscle groups into 3 days. Chest, legs and abs, then back and abs , and finally biceps triceps and legs. couple days off with a day of cardio between strength days. As I go I add more sets but not necessarily reps and after about 4-6 weeks switch it up.

if you are looking for the v-lines diet plays a key role a little fat but not too much.

with all that said, I suck at this and this is my general thoughts, I see most results from proper nutrition which is my primary focus as my eating went to heck (anorexic relapse)- which stopped me from being very active (which is how I get the muscles back). so in my case if I want to do it right I have to eat. but I could ramble about that I'll try not to. Don't feel intimidated at the gym, everyone started somewhere. and I should heed my own advice on that one.
  • wkile76
    Options
    Thanks for your input, it is appreciated. You mention about splitting the workout's up into "groups", and I've read that, and I've read that some break it down to "push" days and "pull" days....basically you do all the exercises that require you to push on one day, then do all the exercises that require you to pull on another. I've tried to start doing this, but then I loose track when I'm at the gym and just go with it....LOL

I think it gets so confusing because there are so many different view points.
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Hi Wayne -- yes, you are the only one who feels intimidated at the gym. Except for every other person there. lol. We all feel like that, except for the few who are so totally blessed with so little self-awareness they are oblivious to the world. AKA the meatheads. So my advice about that -- screw it. You are there for you and only you. Nothing else matters.

Sounds like even though we are very different heights (I'm 5'6"), we both have a similar issue. When we get to near where the BMI says we are "normal" weight, we look like skin and bones. I got down to near 150 and I looked like a stick. BMI said I could get down to 118 and be normal. At that weight I'd look like an ad for world famine relief. BMI says you could be "normal" weight at 144 pounds. Could you picture yourself at 144 pounds. What would you look like at 144 pounds? So I'm guessing you are probably right at about shooting for 215-220. But it depends on the man and the body type. I do have a friend who is 6'4" who is great at 195 (god does he ever). But listen to your partner and look in the mirror.

As far as the gym, I don't totally discount the machines, but it really depends on the machines. Some are really good, and some are really horrible. Without knowing what you have, it's hard to say. But as a general rule, as far as lifting, you do heavier weights with fewer reps to add bulk, lower weights with more reps for toning and shape. NEVER, EVER sacrifice form. That is a recipe for disaster and injury. If you can't do an exercise properly, don't do it. I'm a big fan of cable machines because you can do a lot of exercises there Seated back rows are great. Lat pull downs. Triceps push downs (with ropes to split the triceps). Bicep curls. As far as free weights, nothing beats a good old bench press. And you can do it flat, incline or decline to hit different angles. Or a good old leg press. Or squat. Sometimes simple is best.

Just remember that when trying to add muscle, it takes time. You can lose weight a lot faster than you can add muscle. But most of all it takes nutrition, plenty of it. Lots of protein to help build it. You might want to check out the Eat, Train, Progress group here on MFP for ideas and suggestion. Sara and SideSteel are the moderators and they know their **** inside out.

Anything I can do to help or answer questions, please feel free to ask away.
  • Kabiti
    Kabiti Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Beer was the most difficult thing for me to give up! I am (was?) a homebrewer, love craft beer, and have a nice selection of bottles. I now have whiskey when I have 100 calories to spare (that I'm not using on ice cream ;). I miss beer, though... and it will be my favorite thing to add back in.

On the plus side... my Westvleteren XII clone must be aging superbly!
  • wkile76
    Options
    Hi Wayne -- yes, you are the only one who feels intimidated at the gym. Except for every other person there. lol. We all feel like that, except for the few who are so totally blessed with so little self-awareness they are oblivious to the world. AKA the meatheads. So my advice about that -- screw it. You are there for you and only you. Nothing else matters.

Sounds like even though we are very different heights (I'm 5'6"), we both have a similar issue. When we get to near where the BMI says we are "normal" weight, we look like skin and bones. I got down to near 150 and I looked like a stick. BMI said I could get down to 118 and be normal. At that weight I'd look like an ad for world famine relief. BMI says you could be "normal" weight at 144 pounds. Could you picture yourself at 144 pounds. What would you look like at 144 pounds? So I'm guessing you are probably right at about shooting for 215-220. But it depends on the man and the body type. I do have a friend who is 6'4" who is great at 195 (god does he ever). But listen to your partner and look in the mirror.

As far as the gym, I don't totally discount the machines, but it really depends on the machines. Some are really good, and some are really horrible. Without knowing what you have, it's hard to say. But as a general rule, as far as lifting, you do heavier weights with fewer reps to add bulk, lower weights with more reps for toning and shape. NEVER, EVER sacrifice form. That is a recipe for disaster and injury. If you can't do an exercise properly, don't do it. I'm a big fan of cable machines because you can do a lot of exercises there Seated back rows are great. Lat pull downs. Triceps push downs (with ropes to split the triceps). Bicep curls. As far as free weights, nothing beats a good old bench press. And you can do it flat, incline or decline to hit different angles. Or a good old leg press. Or squat. Sometimes simple is best.

Just remember that when trying to add muscle, it takes time. You can lose weight a lot faster than you can add muscle. But most of all it takes nutrition, plenty of it. Lots of protein to help build it. You might want to check out the Eat, Train, Progress group here on MFP for ideas and suggestion. Sara and SideSteel are the moderators and they know their **** inside out.

Anything I can do to help or answer questions, please feel free to ask away.

Thank you for all the info. It is really helpful. And you're right about "it depends on the guy"....and btw love the sense of humor in the beginning :) LMAO!
  • wkile76
    Options
    On the plus side... my Westvleteren XII clone must be aging superbly!

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
  • imogen__may
    imogen__may Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I think I know even less than you do, but I'm so pleased you've had some good responses. I hope you'll let us know how you get on? I'd happy share a beer with you when you're goal weight!