POP Are you still drinking it?

Options
Regular pop or Diet pop......are you still drinking it?

Regular pop has all those empty calories.... And liquid calories hardly register to our brain!

Diet pop---reasons not to drink it:

1. It Confuses Your Body
Artificial sweeteners have more intense flavor than real sugar, so over time products like diet soda dull our senses to naturally sweet foods like fruit, says Brooke Alpert, RD, author of The Sugar Detox. Even more troubling, these sugar stand-ins have been shown to have the same effect on your body as sugar. "Artificial sweeteners trigger insulin, which sends your body into fat storage mode and leads to weight gain," Alpert says.

2. Researchers from the University of Texas found that over the course of about a decade, diet soda drinkers had a 70% greater increase in waist circumference compared with non-drinkers. Another reason might be psychological, says Minnesota-based dietitian Cassie Bjork. When you know you're not consuming any liquid calories, it might be easier to justify that double cheeseburger or extra slice of pizza.

3. Early studies on aspartame and anecdotal evidence suggests that this artificial sweetener may trigger headaches in some people. "I have several clients who used to suffer from migraines and pinpointed their cause to diet soda," Bjork says

4. It May Be Bad For Your Bones
Women over 60 are already at a greater risk for osteoporosis than men, and Tufts University researchers found that drinking soda, including diet soda, compounds the problem. They discovered that female cola drinkers had nearly 4% lower bone mineral density in their hips than women who didn't drink soda. The research even controlled for the participants' calcium and vitamin D intake. Additionally, a 2006 study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that cola intake (all kinds, not just diet) was associated with low bone-mineral density in women.

So, are you ready to give up pop?

Replies

• Oh_Allie
    Oh_Allie Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I've mostly ditched the regular soda, except for the occasional Coke (it's the only thing that helps when I'm getting a migraine), but I still drink Diet Mountain Dew. I know that I shouldn't drink it for a variety of reasons, but I don't drink juice, I rarely drink milk and I don't have the counter space for a cold-brew coffee pot, so coffee/tea is out (I don't like to drink warm coffee/tea) and honestly, there's only so much water I can drink.
  • annettevann
    Options
    Juice and milk have nutritional value but pop is like a chemical cocktail. (my nutrition classes scared me straight :)
  • NyokiLewis
    Options
    I was aware of the empty calories in regular pop, but just learned something new with the diet pop which luckily I don't drink. And I have cut down drastically on pop. I have replaced most servings that I used to drink with Crystal Light singles in my water or Dasani drops in my water with a few slices of fruit to add a different color and additional flavors.
  • NyokiLewis
    Options
    I agree, every now and then I crave the kick that comes with soda until I can find something that has the carbonation without the empty calories.
  • Oh_Allie
    Oh_Allie Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Juice and milk have nutritional value but pop is like a chemical cocktail. (my nutrition classes scared me straight :)

That's true, but drinking milk upsets my stomach (something changed when I had a baby) and I can't stand to see my calories add up so quickly with just a glass of juice.
  • fishing88
    Options
    I quit drinking pop about 5 years ago. Thank goodness I never got into any of the diet pops. I used to love my Coca~cola. I drink at least 8 servings of water, as week as, my Sobe Vitamin water. This Sobe drink is refreshing and tastes good while giving you a little extra vitamins. Here is what the Sone bottle shows.
    Sobe Lifewater =0 calories.
    Total Fat = 0
    Total Sodium = 60 mg.
    Total carbs = 7 g.
    Total Sugars = 0
    Total Protein = 0
    Reads, not a significant source of calories from fat, saturated fat., Trans fat, cholesterol, dietary fiber, vitamin a, vitamin c and Iron.
    I will have to bring in a bottle and let you be the judge. My favorite is dragon fruit with vitamin b and blood orange mango with vitamin b. very delicious and refreshing drinks.