adding weight vs reps- progression question

Options
While training with hypertrophy/size as my main goal, which is a better progression for my big compound lifts? Do I follow a 5X5 format and add 5lbs each lifting session, continuing with 5-rep sets every workout? Or do I do a 5X5, then next workout go to 5X6 at the same weight until I reach approximately 5X8 (or maybe 4X8), then add weight and drop back to 5-rep sets? Does that make sense? In other words, is it better to progress by adding reps or is it better to stay at low reps and just add weight?

Replies

• HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    For more optimal gains in size and adding mass you need to be working in the hypertrophy range so your second scenario is best. 6-8r is the lower end of HT and still a reputable range for strength gains while benefiting on the HT end. You can even work your way up to 8-10r and then go back down. Progressive overload refers to both adding of weight and reps/sets. It's best to work your sets and if you can reach the 8 rep range or even 10 drop back down and add weight and prioress from there.

Example: 4x100x6, if you can hit 6, next week go to 8. Once you hit 8 reps, go back to 6 and weight. Some add weight each set and while you can do that, it's not always a best inductor of true strength gains.

I don't know you're lifting experience or program and if I did I would give more options and various things to do such as reverse pyramiding etc that are beneficial as well. You can do 4-6 wks of 5x5 on a major compound as long as you're working other compounds and yes, isolation exercise, in the HT range.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    The idea behind 5x5 is weight progression. If you are increasing the reps, rather than the weight, you're increasing muscle endurance, not strength or size.
  • HMVOL7409
    Options
    The idea behind 5x5 is weight progression. If you are increasing the reps, rather than the weight, you're increasing muscle endurance, not strength or size.

Not true at all. Yea 5x5 can be weight progressive, so can other weight rep ranges. You can't tell me someone working in the lower end of HT they're not getting stronger bc they increase their weights consistently and overload it. You also can't tell me that every bodybuilder or avg joe like me whose added mass and actual muscle in the HT range is only increasing my endurance. Please enlighten me.

Also muscle endurance reps are anything above 12.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

Not true at all. Yea 5x5 can be weight progressive, so can other weight rep ranges. You can't tell me someone working in the lower end of HT they're not getting stronger bc they increase their weights consistently and overload it. You also can't tell me that every bodybuilder or avg joe like me whose added mass and actual muscle in the HT range is only increasing my endurance. Please enlighten me.

Oh, I completely agree with you!!!! I'm just saying, doing lift 30 lbs 5x5 and then progress to lifting the same 30 lbs 5x20 :laugh:
  • HMVOL7409
    Options

Oh, I completely agree with you!!!! I'm just saying, doing lift 30 lbs 5x5 and then progress to lifting the same 30 lbs 5x20 :laugh:

Lol that's not what I got at all, ok good! Yea hypertrophy ranges are 6-12, endurance is 12+.
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    My program is called Power Muscle Burn 4 day split (found on Muscle & Strength)
    So....I have a mix of both Strength (power) rep ranges and HT ranges. I chose this program because I LOVE working in the strength rep range for the big compounds. And, since I'm bulking and looking to put on mass, I need the HT ranges as well.
    So...basically, the big compounds are in the strength range and I try to add weight each week and, if not, then I add reps to get to the top end of my range. Then, the accessory lifts are all in the HT range.....also progressing in reps first (until I hit the top end of the range) and then weight.
  • karenboy29687
    karenboy29687 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm glad that this came up, I had questions about this too. There are times (particularly when using dumbells) when I know I can handle more weight, but probably not a full 5 lb increase which are the increments. This is particularly important today as it is "arms" day. I guess my goal should be to lift heavier within the hypertrophy (which is my goal) range. I'm thinking I can actually increase my weight today, possibly even by a full 5 lbs if I'm not trying to do 15 reps in each set.
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I'm glad that this came up, I had questions about this too. There are times (particularly when using dumbells) when I know I can handle more weight, but probably not a full 5 lb increase which are the increments. This is particularly important today as it is "arms" day. I guess my goal should be to lift heavier within the hypertrophy (which is my goal) range. I'm thinking I can actually increase my weight today, possibly even by a full 5 lbs if I'm not trying to do 15 reps in each set.

I have the same issues with the dumbbells. 5lbs per hand is sometimes too much to add right away. The good thing about a HT rep range...is it's a bit bigger...so you have more room to progress with reps first before adding more weight. For example, my program has the range in the HT sets to be 6-12. So...when I hit the 12 reps for each set, I increase the DBs and usually I'm back down to 7 or 8 reps and then I slowly work myself back up.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna eventually be doing both, one day a week each (upper and lower) low reps heavy max effort, and one day a week 50-60% max , high rep dynamic effort. Its the louise simmons westside philphosy. its mainly for strength but with the belief that bigger size means stronger, so it is a balance of size with strength.

Right now i'm doing 6 weeks higher rep range (5-8), my next six weeks will be lower rep range (2-4) my current trainer wants me to switch up every 6 weeks, but I told him i want to be switching up on a daily/weekly basis. so after this next 6 weeks thats what i'll be doing. I always make sure my last 2 reps hurt and i always have a spotter.
  • westcoastgrl21
    westcoastgrl21 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Okay, thanks ladies! I think we are all actually on the same page, although with slight tweaks. I was thinking of staying in the 5-8 rep range, lifting at the same weight until I could do at least 9 reps, then increasing the weight and dropping back to 5 reps. But I got thrown off by traditional 5X5 programs, which increase weight only. Thanks for everyone's input!
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    AllPros is a program that increases the reps each week starting at 8 working up to 12, then you increase the weight by 10% and drop back down to 8 reps. You can find it on bodybuilding.com.