Anyone doing a marathon in May?

Options
samkelly89
samkelly89 Posts: 198 Member
Hey guys, I am looking for friends to help motivate/keep me accountable because I am training for a marathon for May 4th 2014.

I did the Colfax marathon in Denver last May and finished in 5:30
This time my goal is under 5 hours and I am doing the Colorado Marathon instead of the Colfax.

Friend me if you want!
This is the training schedule I have decided on since I am not in running shape right now. Today is the end of week 4:
http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51143/Marathon-Novice-Supreme-Training-Program

Replies

• M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    Hi

I am running my first full in May next year.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    May 3, Cox Marathon, Providence RI. It will be my first 26.2 and I am looking for a 3:40ish time. Using Matt Fitzgerald's level one marathon plan, from his book "Brain Training for Runners"

Feel free to add me. :o)
  • mitchyinge
    Options
    Hello, I would like more spring marathoner friends too! Edinburgh, 25th May 2014 - I think it is going to take me over 5 hours but my friend/coach/guru is confident I can do better and has promised to pace me on the day.
  • mitchyinge
    Options
    (I don't really have a schedule as such, emphasis is mainly on The Long Run once a week which is up to 13ish miles for now and a goal of 100 miles in total for this month)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I'm doing two - Pittsburgh half (B race) and Cleveland half (A race). I'm saving my fulls for the end of the season because they make me crabby.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I'm toying with the Delaware Marathon in April. I'm about 85% in right now.
  • valentine4
    valentine4 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm Edele, I'm very new to running. I have done a few ten k's this year and am half thinking of signing up for the connemara 1/2 or gulp full marathon in April of next year. ( sorry should have interduced myself - Irish, mum of 4)

Hopefully I will pick up some tips/advice from yourselves here on the board, I love mpf always hear great stories plus I love when people reference where they are - some are running in really cold/ hot conditions.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm Edele, I'm very new to running. I have done a few ten k's this year and am half thinking of signing up for the connemara 1/2 or gulp full marathon in April of next year. ( sorry should have interduced myself - Irish, mum of 4)

Hopefully I will pick up some tips/advice from yourselves here on the board, I love mpf always hear great stories plus I love when people reference where they are - some are running in really cold/ hot conditions.

Hi Edele,

A half is a great goal for next Spring. A full is a little too ambitious. Maybe the following Spring. It takes a long time to develop marathon fitness.

Welcome!
  • valentine4
    valentine4 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Thanks Carson, any tips on where to start? I had a look at the hal higdon site another poster mentioned, I invested in decent trainers ( though I found the trail ones I need over the wkend hard to adjust to) and I have run keeper on my phone.
  • CathOh
    CathOh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm running my third full marathon in May 2014 (in Ottawa, Canada), aiming to qualify for Boston, so I need to finish in under 3:40. My training plan also includes swimming and cycling as I will be doing my second half iron distance event later next summer.
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Maybe but maybe not. I am toying with the idea of the full Mountain to Beach but only if I can stay healthy with higher mileage running. Just ramping back up now with my first Half of the season in 2 weeks.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Big Sur April 27, 2014. No real goals for the race other than finish. It's not the course to try to PR on, so I'm going to make sure I enjoy the views & ambiance. As far as training goes, I aim to focus on training more hills - and this will sound sadistic, but I'm looking forward to some bad weather to train in. Mother Nature was far too kind to me last winter when I was training and I keep reading about this tough "Hurricane Hill" on the course (so named due to the high winds typically encountered), so I really do want to get some training in during stormy weather to toughen me up! I've always felt like the worst training runs are actually the BEST training runs, if that makes sense :-).
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Maybe but maybe not. I am toying with the idea of the full Mountain to Beach but only if I can stay healthy with higher mileage running. Just ramping back up now with my first Half of the season in 2 weeks.

Great race, I ran it last year. Only thing I will say is make sure you integrate some downhill running into your training, my quads were screaming the next day.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    Thanks Carson, any tips on where to start? I had a look at the hal higdon site another poster mentioned, I invested in decent trainers ( though I found the trail ones I need over the wkend hard to adjust to) and I have run keeper on my phone.

Nothing fancy. Just get out there consistently. Build up mileage slowly until you are doing one run a week in the 90 to 120 minute range and 3 to 4 runs in the 45 to 75 minute range and then you'll be ready to start a 12 week HM program based on your mileage at that time.
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Depending on how my first marathon in January goes, I'm hoping to do at least a few more in 2013 - although they will probably be more trail races!

I am from Colorado, and would love to do the Colorado Marathon sometime (I've heard it's a good one to try and BQ), but am focusing next spring and summer more on trails. Hoping to do Leadville Trail Marathon (or possibly heavy half marathon depending) in mid-June for sure! And maybe Collegiate Peaks 25 Mile Trail run in early May (I think it's the same weekend as CO marathon actually).
  • nicruns
    nicruns Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'm running a marathon in May too.
    & also aiming to break that 5 hr mark.

In the meanwhile... I want to slowly chip away at losing 20lbs before then, to see if that makes it easier for me to accomplish that goal!

(I've run 2 marathons above the 5 hr mark. obviously-- given that i'm 180+lbs-- losing weight will make that goal more attainable!!)

curious to see what it does to my 10k time too (which is already sub 1hr.)
  • Csuvetmed
    Csuvetmed Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'll be running a trail marathon in May, and it sounds like I live near you!
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I am! May 4, too. I'm doing the Pittsburgh marathon
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    5/11/2014, Maine Coast Marathon.

Starting using the Hal Higdon 30 week personal best marathon....It is destined to be my personal best as it is my first.
    http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51150/Marathon-Personal-Best-Training-Program
    Always looking for more running advice, feel free to add me as well.
  • Bounce2
    Bounce2 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm considering the Mt Mee classic (trail) on the 4th as well :).. I will be finding some more hills between now and then ;)