Chi running...how to pace

mjpTennis
mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
Spent some time reading Chi Running and am enjoying the focus on my running form. I went out for my run tonight intent on the falling form and making a very conscious effort to contact the ground with my feet moving with the ground and not against it. With this focus, I feel like I could run forever and so much faster. The biggest exertion that I noticed with this running test was that when I was in full form and falling and running, I needed to slow down to catch my breath more. Certainly need to slow down a bit. Which brings me to my question... how do you all pace yourself to a slower speed while maintaining form?

Do you pull more slowly with your feet?

Do you change your cadence?

Do you stand up straighter?

Something else?

Perhaps I am still short of breath and the answer will come to me as soon as the oxygen hits my brain, but any input would be appreciated. Love how I keep getting more excited with running.

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    I don't know about this Chi running stuff, but my cadence never really changes. I am between 175 and 180 steps per minute, regardless of pace. When I run faster, obviously I am cover more ground with each step, so the stride length gets longer. This is not a result of reaching out further, but rather from using a more powerful push off.
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Thx. I experimented with this today on my long run and it feels comfortable to approach it this way. Same cadence, more power.
  • sunnybear39
    sunnybear39 Posts: 60 Member
    you should be keeping cadence the same whether going fast or slow- around 180 bpm. go slower by using less lean, and by taking shorter strides. this will naturally slow you down and produce less of an effort. for more speed, increase your lean (but don't sacrifice form- this is the hard part for me) and keep cadence the same. your stride length increases and feet kick back more to compensate for the forward lean and maintain balance. Be sure and keep your core engaged- this is key to chi running and something I really need to work on continuously! Hope this helps some... :smile:
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    you should be keeping cadence the same whether going fast or slow- around 180 bpm. go slower by using less lean, and by taking shorter strides. this will naturally slow you down and produce less of an effort. for more speed, increase your lean (but don't sacrifice form- this is the hard part for me) and keep cadence the same. your stride length increases and feet kick back more to compensate for the forward lean and maintain balance. Be sure and keep your core engaged- this is key to chi running and something I really need to work on continuously! Hope this helps some... :smile:

Precisely. Chi Running is all about form and posture to minimize effort level. Cadence should stay the same regardless of pace and your strike should always be in line with your upper torso. The thing that changes is the distance your stride covers.
  • I don't know about this Chi running stuff, but my cadence never really changes. I am between 175 and 180 steps per minute, regardless of pace. When I run faster, obviously I am cover more ground with each step, so the stride length gets longer. This is not a result of reaching out further, but rather from using a more powerful push off.

Sorry to ask but what does cadence mean? and how do you know how many steps you take per minute?
  • I am very curious about all of the tips you are getting here, I looked into Chi running by watching a video I have been trying to use it while running and work on my form. I am new at it I know that my form needs to be worked on I see a lot of people talking about cadence curious to find out more about that
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Sorry to ask but what does cadence mean? and how do you know how many steps you take per minute?

Cadence refers to the number (or more specifically the rate) of steps you take while running.