A Change of Weather

Options
Will fall change the way you train? It's about to start raining here and not stop for six months.

Cheers! - Runner 5

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    The old runner 5 caught me in mission 1.

The snow wasn't entirely to blame, like a noob I'd flat out sprint when the story said to, rather than the game.

Wait... what are we talking about?
  • dekutree
    dekutree Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Will fall change the way you train? It's about to start raining here and not stop for six months.

Mm, I'm a bit anxious about the weather! My plan is just to keep going and try to pick days/times that don't look too bad. So far it's not been too rainy here. I've bought a long-sleeve running tshirt and a thin jacket thing to wear on top too... I don't really want to join a gym if I can help it as I've found it so much fun being outside. However, there is a cheap student gym open to the local community quite near me, so if needs be I'll join that. But yeah, seems a shame!
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I'm a year round outdoor runner five. I'll do rain (not lightning), heat, cold (17F is my favorite), snow, but ice is a problem. Ragweed can also send me in doors. But for the most part, weather just changes what I wear. Well and my speed, I'm much faster when it's below 50F.
  • OregonRunner5
    OregonRunner5 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I went running on the beach barefoot when it was 32 F outside for four miles total. I think that was my craziest weather run, I wasn't wearing a coat either and the tourists were really entertained as they shivered and looked at the shipwreck. ;-P
  • lizpirate
    lizpirate Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    7Hunters, I'm in the Pacific Northwest, so I hear you about the rainy season! I find that running in a light drizzle is often refreshing. Having a lightweight waterproof jacket helps a lot, as does a hat to keep the rain out of your eyes.

Also, I'm planning on upping my strength training ratio over the winter since I'll be spending less time outside.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Near the great lakes in indiana here and we get lake effect snow with below zero wind chills so we will be moving inside and doing more treadmill walking. I rarely do the ZR in the winter, and start again in the spring as soon as its warm enough to do so.
  • missmylin
    missmylin Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    A couple of weeks ago I learned the hard way that it's getting too cold to run in a tank top. Today I learned that I had better start running earlier if I want to finish before dark. Pretty soon, it'll be dark when I'm done work so that'll be the end of outdoor runs for the year. :grumble:
  • Fiveling
    Fiveling Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    When I've been doing my outdoor runs (I mix up treadmill and outdoor) they've been in the evenings, generally when it's dark or about to get dark. I run on and around campus usually so I feel safe enough.

I guess how the colder weather is going to effect me is I might have to start wearing socks in my Merrels shoes!
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I live in Minnesota... That said, I STARTED this app last January, so I really don't have any excuse. Just bundle up and get out there. If it's hard, just remember, in the zombie apocalypse, the weather won't always be nice, but you'll always need supplies. No excuses!
  • cynforgiven
    Options
    I like that philosophy mizzie :)

This will be the first time I've stuck with any sort of exercise/fitness plan to even bother planning for winter weather. I still have a bit before it gets to that point, though, thankfully. I'm guessing I'll invest in a cheap tracksuit or sweatpants and sweatshirt - and maybe a perry the platypus hat :)

or i could just spend a lot of time at my sisters using her treadmill if the weather gets too bad - but I still want the perry the platypus hat!
  • dragon1ady
    dragon1ady Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I live in Minnesota... That said, I STARTED this app last January, so I really don't have any excuse. Just bundle up and get out there. If it's hard, just remember, in the zombie apocalypse, the weather won't always be nice, but you'll always need supplies. No excuses!

This. Winter running gear is on my Christmas wishlist :)
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I am in Vermont. Right now only my Friday and Saturday runs are outside because it's too dark in the early AM or evening to run outside. I plan to keep at least my Saturday long run outside for as long as I can. I definitely prefer it to the treadmill. I will move it inside though if there is a lot of ice because I don't want to risk falling and getting hurt.
  • BookRat
    BookRat Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I get overheated, so I actually prefer running in winter. I stopped over the summer because I found it too hot. I'll run in rain or snow (which is nice and refreshing - but take it easy and watch your footing), but won't go out in high wind or if there is ice under foot. I haven't fallen yet and I don't plan to do so in the future! I also pretty much have no option but to run in the dark on weekdays...just make yourself visible to traffic, be careful crossing roads and don't go anywhere you don't feel safe.
  • dragon1ady
    dragon1ady Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I know this is an old thread, but today I did my first zombie run in the Nike dri-fit/thermal/whatever running clothes that my family gave me for Christmas. It's almost scary a difference it makes to run in cold weather in clothes that were made for running in cold weather. As an extra bonus, the pants are very flattering in the upper back leg region. :tongue:
  • asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I know this is an old thread, but today I did my first zombie run in the Nike dri-fit/thermal/whatever running clothes that my family gave me for Christmas. It's almost scary a difference it makes to run in cold weather in clothes that were made for running in cold weather. As an extra bonus, the pants are very flattering in the upper back leg region. :tongue:

It's amazing how things make a big difference & the flattering thing is always a good thing.
  • WannaBeCroft
    WannaBeCroft Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    For me, the time of year changes the time of day I'm running. Spring and fall are most forgiving, the weather's lovely for running more often than not -- cool enough to go in the middle of the day, warm enough to run in the morning. A little rain is no trouble with a hat, and light layers keep you cool/warm enough. Summer is hardest here in VA -- high humidity and hot temps. The choices are either get up very early and run in the relative cool, or wait until late in the evening and run at twilight. Winter is better for mid-day to 2-3pmish runs, best chance for ice to have melted, slightly warmer. Winter running attire is a must -- for me that's got to include running tights, a hoodie with the thumb holes (whomever invented those was a genius!), light gloves, an ear band. It's tricky to find clothes that make the balance of warm enough before your muscles warm up, not too warm once you're mid-run.

Time of year also changes the location for running -- I don't like treadmills, and avoid them if possible. In summer I look for shaded runs with a good breeze. In the winter I look for sunny runs and prefer a track (generally well maintained, often salted).

Happy trails!
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I bought myself a waterproof windproof jacket for Christmas. And then my parents bought me a second one. So I'm pretty happy about that since I only get one use out of my jacket before it's wash time and I run 6 days a week.

So once the weather started getting to 20f and lower here, I switched my route to running many 1.5 mile laps around a pond near my house (usually 4-8 laps) because I was close to home if I needed a turn back point. But then it got icy and they don't clear the path around the pond. Sad! So I am back to my summer route (slightly modified) on the Charles River in Boston. It was nice to do something different for a little while. I do have to say they do a remarkable job keeping the walking/running path clear on the river.