Metabolic Efficiency Shopping List (Costco)

Options
Looking for some great ideas for your Costco shopping list? Here you go! And for those who are not vegan/vegetarian, be sure to add lean & minimally processed meats to your list!

Oatmeal: Bob’s Steel Cut Oats – Great mixed with Quinoa and topped with fruit, nuts and Greek Yogurt
2.5 g fat
4 g Protein
25 g carbs

Quinoa: Great as a substitute for rice, salads, oatmeal
0 fat
6 g protein
31 g carbs

Dave’s whole wheat bread
1.5 g fat
6 g protein
22 g carbs

Almonds by the bag – can also put in food processor and make flour to add to foods and desserts. Works great when processed with dates.
14 g fat
6 g protein
1 g carbs

Penne – Ancient Grains and gluten free and tastes great
2 g fat
5 g protein
40 g carbs

Almond milk – 30 calorie vanilla or unsweetened. Great for your smoothies and oatmeal.
2.5 g fat
1 g protein
1 g carbs

Frozen berries
0 fat
1 g protein
17 g carbs

Kale – baby kale prewashed at Costco. Great for smoothies and salads
.5 g fat
3 g protein
9 g carbs

Carrots – organic baby carrots. Can easily be pureed or added to smoothies in a Vitamix or BlendTec.
0 Fat
1 g protein
8 g carbs

Greek Yogurt – Fage or Chobani. Plain has twice the protein. Add honey or agave for flavor or just add to smoothies with Whey protein isolate and fruit
0 fat
23 g protein
9 g carbs

Natural nut butters – peanut or almond
15 g fat
9 g protein
6 g carbs

Chia seed in cereal isle of Costco – put in smoothies or on anything. You won’t taste it on food. Helps curb hunger and expands in stomach
3 g fat
3 g protein
6 g carbs

Lentils – Red cook faster and the green or black hold their shape. Easy to add veggies to lentils especially pureed ones for the kids
0 g fat
7 g protein
32 g carbs

Black Beans – Great for side dishes or chili’s with veggies
0 g fat
9 g protein
23 g carbs

Other sources of good fats: Coconut oil (great substitute for butter also), olive oil, nut oils, and avocado, fatty fish (wild salmon, sardines), flax, eggs.

A great way to add your healthy carbs into your diet is to roast them and puree them. Once pureed you can add them into anything. They can even make sauces to your proteins or mix in with soups. I always substitute sweet potatoes for sugar and half of the flour in baking. You can add any pureed veggies to your baking and you will be surprised how easy it is and the kids have no idea!

Easy roasting veggies are cauliflower, carrots, butternut squash, sweet potatoes, peas, beets, red bell peppers, zucchini, squash, apples, berries, kale. Once you add olive oils, salt, pepper and add roasted onions and garlic.

-Thanks to Griselda (who will be hosting optional cooking classes soon!).

Replies

• MellonieYang
    Options
    Thanks for the tips Amanda, I have my shopping list ready!
  • CindyFeldman1230
    Options
    Thanks, Amanda. I have printed and saved! I am a Sam's member and will look into and share any choices I find there, too! --Cindy
  • grandpafarmerreid
    Options
    This is going to be tough. No apple turnovers. But wait. They do have almonds and apples and eggs and butter, all good.