reality check

Options
today was is the 1st day on treadmill in years. started out slow paced. had a sad moment, i couldnt even do 5mins without being out of breath. today was a eye opener, time for a change.

Replies

• Jward712
    Jward712 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I wish you luck and hope that things get better. I understand how you feel because I can barely walk from our parking area to the main building without being out of breathe or my legs trying to shut down on me.
  • Queezarwoe
    Queezarwoe Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The best part about starting a work out regimen, is you can do it anywhere and at your pace. You have to do things that you enjoy. It starts slow, but once you start seeing results its such a great motivation. Just don't give up on yourself.
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    When I first started the elliptical, I could barely do five minutes. Now I do more than a half hour (it's been about six months). You will work your way up. Just keep going!
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I used to be a runner when I was younger, but had seriously lapsed. I started getting back into it only this past January, and had to start out very slow. (1 min run, 2 min walk for not very long)

This past June I completed Tough Mudder. (19 kilometers and HUGE hills, plus obstacles and lots of mud!)

Everyone starts somewhere, but you just have to stick with it and it will change, slowly at first and then you won't be able to believe how far you've come. Good luck and KEEP GOING!
  • brown7508
    brown7508 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for your words of wisdom... if anyone has any tips for a low-carb diet, i'm all ears
  • sdahms83
    sdahms83 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm no pro at the low carb thing since I have just recently started with it the last month or so. I kind of try to follow Atkins but not full force.. I still eat some carbs but its WAY less then I used to. I shoot for about 56grams of Carbs a day, but you will need to increase your protein as well.

Great Job to all of you who have posted.. I know first starting out can be very hard but just stick with it.. Everyday you get a little stronger then you were the day before.

Feel free to add me as a friend, I also think being able to view your MFP friend's food log helps as well :)
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I'm no pro at the low carb thing since I have just recently started with it the last month or so. I kind of try to follow Atkins but not full force.. I still eat some carbs but its WAY less then I used to. I shoot for about 56grams of Carbs a day, but you will need to increase your protein as well.

actually, if you lower carbs you need to up your FAT intake more than your protien. Carbs and fat are the two things the body can use for energy, so if you lower one, you raise the other.

My macro's were 20/40/40 c/p/f but i recently changed them to 20/30/50 c/p/f and its working much better. fats keep you fuller longer. check out the low carb forums for more ideas, ones like http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group help a lot with ideas for LCHF (low carb high fat) diets. These kids of lifestyle changes help PCOS so very much and is yummy and not too difficult to follow if you keep carbs low. Mine are under 75 a day, which is much easier for me than an Atkins type plan that keeps you below 25 a day. I like fruits and veggies and they often have carbs in them, so this way I dont ahve to eliminate them all together.

enjoy the new lifestyle journey!
  • yami0385
    yami0385 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hello you made an effort today so don't feel bad. It takes 15 - 21 days to form a habit so 5 min a day is better than not doing it at all!

Good luck on your journey.