Sad ending to an inspirational story

Options

Replies

• Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    She is awesome and this is inspirational. This could have happened to anyone regardless of age and she died happy. I hope I'll be like her as well. I want to die running in my New Balance 940 v2s!
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I agree that it sounds like she died happy. Perhaps "sad ending" was the wrong choice of words
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Wow, she finished!
    I am not being flip, and I hope I am not being insensitive, but what a great way to go. She must have been almost completely undiminished if she could run a marathon. I want to go like that, after a long, long life.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I just read that article, her death seems to be due to her banging her head when she fell.

Going by her words when she was alive, she always intended to run until she dropped basically, right to the end of her life.

Inspirational indeed!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    At the risk of sounding trite, she went out in a blaze of glory. Perhaps if she hadn't fallen she would have had more years of running the marathon left or she could have gradually slipped into decrepitude (those of us with aging parents have seen how devastating this can be.......) we'll never know.

For myself, I hope I'm out there kicking butt when I'm her age.
  • eaglefish
    eaglefish Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Sorry but I'm just not seeing the "sad" in this story.. She did what she wanted to right up to the end. Didn't wither away in a hospital bed somewhere hooked up to an IV listening to the drip & wondering if she'd hear the next one or not.. That'd be sad.
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    My husband read this to me last night, and my thoughts echoed so many of yours: what a way to go!!! I would totally want my last few days of life to culminate with my running a marathon, NYC no less!!!!!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Rather die a day after a marathon than in a hospice.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Rather die a day after a marathon than in a hospice.

Amen to that!!
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking about this story nonstop since I read it last night. I wish I could see nothing but the inspirational part - which is HUGE!!! - but I wish she had gotten to revel in the glory a little longer. :heart: :laugh: Still, I absolutely want to be her when I grow up.
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I agree, a good way to go.

Hospice is not too bad either, you can have 'hospice' at home, or where ever you like - I learned that this early this year. My mother died in hospice, which we arranged for in my home. She just 'fell asleep' peacefully (and she looked content). I am glad I could be around her for her last days, and hold her hand that very last day!
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    She had to have been an outstanding woman. I would have loved to have known her, to sit down and "pick her brain". She had to have been a fount of wisdom. Good for her for running!!! Someday, I want to be 86 years old and running marathons. That would just be too cool!
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    She actually lived in my neighborhood, so there's been local coverage of this story too. I think it's great that she was so active up to her very last day. My grandfather is about her age and he's recently become a lot less mobile - it's taking quite a mental toll on him :-(.