Training Schedule/Vacation Conflicts

Options
emAZn
emAZn Posts: 413 Member
So in a month I'll be in Baltimore for a long weekend: Traveling all day Thurs then having fun Fri/Sun and then traveling half day Monday. I have my normal rest day on Thursday which works out but a 15 miler scheduled for Friday and a 10 Miler scheduled for Monday. I've located a close fitness center I could do my long run at but that's on the treadmill and would totally suck or a park that I could run around 7 times (lol) but this Arizona native is a little scared to run in the Baltimore December cold/snow/possible ice? Suggestions?

Replies

• ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    This is funny, I have almost the exact same situation. Going to be gone over a long weekend when I have a 6 and a 12 scheduled. Also going to a snow covered location. Interested to see what responses you get. I think I will try and do most of it on the hotel treadmill myself and see how long I can go before I want to stab my eyes out from boredom. :laugh:
  • emAZn
    Options
    I was leaning towards the treadmill too... I have a kindle fire I can either buy a movie or maybe even hook up my netflix.. just soooo boring... But I definitley want to try and run mostly for my training and partially for the need to soak up all of my vacation calories :)
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you'll be. For example, there is a nice bike/running trail around the BWI airport and from the airport all the way down to Annapolis. The weather could be horrible, or it could be not bad at all. Ice on the ground is unlikely. I'd check the likely weather just before you arrive. There's a really good chance that outside running will be enjoyable.
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I would check the weather a few days before you leave. The weather can be wacky in December. I live in NYC not Baltimore but we often have mild days and more days with no snow on the ground than days where running in the snow is an issue. You might be able to run outside with just a pair (or 2) of long running pants, a long sleeve, fleece, gloves and hat or ear warming head band and a maybe a jacket. You probably already have all those things or will need to get them for your trip anyways.

Also check map my run for routes that are a little more interesting than 7 loops of the park. Maybe run around the and do some sight seeing while you run. I've had great success using map my run on both domestic and foreign vacations.

All else fails - you still have that treadmill.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    So in a month I'll be in Baltimore for a long weekend: Traveling all day Thurs then having fun Fri/Sun and then traveling half day Monday. I have my normal rest day on Thursday which works out but a 15 miler scheduled for Friday and a 10 Miler scheduled for Monday. I've located a close fitness center I could do my long run at but that's on the treadmill and would totally suck or a park that I could run around 7 times (lol) but this Arizona native is a little scared to run in the Baltimore December cold/snow/possible ice? Suggestions?

I'll run with you. I live in Baltimore. I'll even let you borrow some warm technical clothes if you need them. Message me if you want to. I'm serious.
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options

I'll run with you. I live in Baltimore. I'll even let you borrow some warm technical clothes if you need them. Message me if you want to. I'm serious.

Do it!! You get to meet Carson!! I am now tempted to drive up there just to take him up on the offer. Maybe some running goodness will leech on to me!! :love:
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Buy a cheap pair of cotton sweats at Target and go for it! Weather is weather; you never know. But, Baltimore in December is not that cold generally. You may even like it.
    Oh yeah. And, take Carson up on his offer. He'll undoubtedly have a better route than 7 times around a park.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options

Do it!! You get to meet Carson!! I am now tempted to drive up there just to take him up on the offer. Maybe some running goodness will leech on to me!! :love:

Totally do it!!! We'll all be jealous!
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest you search for running tours or a private running guide. I've used City Running Tours for this but it doesn't look like they are in Baltimore, though they are in DC. But go with Carson! That sounds better than some random running guide!
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    This is funny, I have almost the exact same situation. Going to be gone over a long weekend when I have a 6 and a 12 scheduled. Also going to a snow covered location. Interested to see what responses you get. I think I will try and do most of it on the hotel treadmill myself and see how long I can go before I want to stab my eyes out from boredom. :laugh:

I always try to get outside for my runs when I am traveling -- of course as a guy I have less issues with safety, etc., but it can actually be a great way to see the area you're staying in. I will be visiting Spain in December and I'm bringing my running gear -- I try to book hotels with wifi so I can get online and map out a route beforehand.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I have looked up running routes on Daily Mile while traveling. When I moved to San Diego I used Meetup to find running routes as well.
  • emAZn
    Options
    Eek the idea of running outside in an unknown city is scary! Maybe I can get my friend I'm staying with to ride a bike with me or something. And that's only if the weather will be tolerable lol I'm all ready running in longsleeves and pants and its only in the 70s here!

I wish I could run with Carson but I think the bf might have a moderate freak out (lol no offense to Carson).
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Run with Carson!

When I am traveling I still try to just go on my long runs. I've had some interesting experiences, none of them scary - mostly I'm challenged physically in ways that I'm not challenged at home. We tend to vacation in warm, humid climates and the humidity is always a challenge for me (my 20 mile attempt in San Antonio was a disaster, only got through ~14 miles of it). Anyway, before I go, I do some research. I seek out local meet up groups, ask advice from people that are used to running in the area. I've received tons of help this way.

But you can skip all that research and just run w/Carson.