Much needed FISH recipes

Options
vahine03
vahine03 Posts: 214 Member
One of the most difficult dishes to make is Fish. I have no idea how to cook, bake, smoke, or fry fish. All my attempts have failed. It's my least favorite. Well, except it being raw. There is a great recipe for a dish called Ahi Poke. It's a must have at any party you have here in Hawaii. It's the best and the only "fish" i would dare eat. If you like sashimi, this dish wouldn't be such a bad idea. =)

Ahi Poke
2 lbs fresh ahi tuna
1 small round onion, julienne cut (Maui Onions preferred)
3 green onions, diced
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated fresh ginger
3 finely diced garlic cloves
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon Chinese chili sauce (Rooster Brand)
1 teaspoon hawaiian sea salt or 1 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions:

1. Cut Ahi into at least 1/2" cubes - set aside & refrigerate.
2. Combine all other ingredients in a large glass bowl & refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
3. When ready to serve toss Ahi and other ingredients together.
4. Serve on chilled platter with chopsticks or toothpicks.

Or if you want to try a Spicy Ahi Poke:

1 lb yellowfin tuna steak, sushi or sashimi grade (fresh or flash frozen)
about 1 tbsp soy sauce, to taste
about 1/2 tbsp sesame oil, to taste
2 scallions, chopped finely
1/4 onion, sliced (optional)
2 tbsp mayonnaise
2 tbsp sriracha sauce (adjust depending on how spicy you like it)
2 tsp tobiko or masago, if you feel like splurging :)

1. If tuna is frozen, thaw by submerging in room temperature water for 30 minutes.
2. When tuna is just short of fully thawed, slice into small cubes, around 1 inch. You could do larger or smaller, whatever you prefer. I tend to go a bit smaller for more flavor.
3. Combine in a bowl with 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1/2 tbsp sesame oil, and 1 chopped scallion. I don’t really measure the soy sauce or sesame oil, but use whatever is enough to coat the tuna thinly. Chill in fridge for about 30 minutes. (See recipe below for regular shoyu poke — basically, you can stop here, but with a bit more marinade and a few optional additions.)
4. Combine mayo, sriracha, remaining scallions (reserving a bit for topping), and 1 tbsp tobiko or masago, whisking briefly until combined. When tuna is chilled, add the spicy mayo and mix gently until fully coated. I just get right in there and use my hands. :)
5. Top with a bit more tobiko and scallions, and serve! The poke will be good for up to one day, but is best eaten fresh.

For me, It's to die for. lol Not literally of course. But I can never refrain from salivating when there's poke (pronounced po-keh rather than po-kay) in the house.

Anybody have some tips or recipes to share. I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Replies

• HotSouthernMess
    HotSouthernMess Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    This is interesting. I am not a big fish eater at all, mainly because I can't stand the smell of it. I have been told that if it is good and fresh, it should not have a smell...but I can imagine the fish in Hawaii is MUCH better quality than here in Texas :sick:

Reading over the recipe...it seems that there are enough tasty and "strong" ingredients to overpower any kind of fishy smell or taste. I might just have to try this! Thank you :)
  • nursedeannarae
    Options
    I LOVE broiling salmon with dill sauce. I wing most of the measurements so I'll have to guess what I use, but to make the dill sauce:

about 1/2 cup mayo (I use full fat because the fat free versions tend to be higher sugar)
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    2 tablespoons dried dill

Mix together and brush a thin coating over the salmon. Broil uncovered to get sauce bubbly and fish flakey (sorry for non-desript cooking times as weight/thickness of fish can vary so much). The light coating of mayo holds the moisture in the fish so it can cook through and not dry out.
  • vahine03
    Options
    This is interesting. I am not a big fish eater at all, mainly because I can't stand the smell of it. I have been told that if it is good and fresh, it should not have a smell...but I can imagine the fish in Hawaii is MUCH better quality than here in Texas :sick:

Reading over the recipe...it seems that there are enough tasty and "strong" ingredients to overpower any kind of fishy smell or taste. I might just have to try this! Thank you :)

Oh yeeeah. The ingredients in there are powerful enough to take away that fishy smell and bad ocean taste. It's delicious! The only reason I got to eat this in the first place was because a friend couldn't finish hers and I so happen to have skipped all my meals that day. I was soooooooo hungry, I ate it and fell in love with it. I never did eat fish before that. haha.

@nursedeannara

Thanks for this recipe! I'll definitely try it. Perhaps I can try it tonight. Good tip with the Mayo, too. Better to have the fat than the sugar in my opinion. Last thing I need is another dried Fish entree :\ So thanks!
  • vahine03
    Options
    So I've tried the recipe but needed to substitute out the dried Dill. I didn't have any around the house =\ I used sriracha sauce instead. Definitely needs sauce in the end. :p But it turned out pretty well. Broiled is a great idea and this time I've got it right! Dinner was great. Thanks!
  • HotSouthernMess
    HotSouthernMess Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    y'all are making me want to go buy some fish. something i would NEVER normally do. my kids wont even let me walk by the seafood section of the store because it makes them sick. the only "fish" we can have in my house is tuna (canned), fish sticks, and every once in a while they will eat the extra crispy gortons patties. but, calling any of that, "fish" really is a stretch! LOL
  • GRUNO
    GRUNO Posts: 98
    Options
    We buy Atlantic Cod. Target sells it and Wal-Mart, I think. We do a simple lemon pepper seasoning and saute in a small amount of butter and olive oil mixture. I've also used Land O Lakes Lemon Pepper Saute Sauce and one cube is plenty for four pieces of fish and our brown rice on the side.
  • vahine03
    Options
    y'all are making me want to go buy some fish. something i would NEVER normally do. my kids wont even let me walk by the seafood section of the store because it makes them sick. the only "fish" we can have in my house is tuna (canned), fish sticks, and every once in a while they will eat the extra crispy gortons patties. but, calling any of that, "fish" really is a stretch! LOL

Lol. I do know what you mean. The smell is just horrific. If you and your kids happen to like Tacos, try the fish taco. Cut the Fish in small cubes but not too small that it'll be mashed in a ball of goo. (I'm exaggerating. haha) Broil it or keep it raw and mix it in a really good taco sauce. Have a small portion of it and gradually work your way to eating a good size 3-4 oz fish. I gotta find a good recipe for fish tacos. hmmmm. There is an Mexican place nearby that makes fish tacos once in a while. I should by one and see what's in it. =)
    Then again, Tuna is awesome! lol. My problem is, I cannot go without Mayo for my tuna. And Fishsticks! Good childhood memory. haha
  • vahine03
    Options
    We buy Atlantic Cod. Target sells it and Wal-Mart, I think. We do a simple lemon pepper seasoning and saute in a small amount of butter and olive oil mixture. I've also used Land O Lakes Lemon Pepper Saute Sauce and one cube is plenty for four pieces of fish and our brown rice on the side.

Do you broil the fish?
  • GRUNO
    GRUNO Posts: 98
    Options
    Actually, I just saute on the stove top on a flat grill pan. Broiling would work fine too!
  • heatherannh23
    heatherannh23 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I definitely like (and only really know how to make) Tilapia with lemon juice on it and thin slices of lemon baked. It's an amazing flavor
  • vahine03
    Options
    @GRUNO - Dunno how to Saute. hehe. Broiling is definitely the way for me to go. Just found that it was the easiest, unfailing way to go. =p

@heatherannh23 - I've had Lemony fish for far too long. haha. My sister would make it after a while because I would stop and want something else. It was the only thing we can think of making at that time. We'd eat it like 2-3 times a week. Besides, It did not help that we did not know how to make a perfectly cooked dish. Ours would come out too burnt, too dry, and over cooked. =(
  • heatherannh23
    heatherannh23 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    @GRUNO - Dunno how to Saute. hehe. Broiling is definitely the way for me to go. Just found that it was the easiest, unfailing way to go. =p

@heatherannh23 - I've had Lemony fish for far too long. haha. My sister would make it after a while because I would stop and want something else. It was the only thing we can think of making at that time. We'd eat it like 2-3 times a week. Besides, It did not help that we did not know how to make a perfectly cooked dish. Ours would come out too burnt, too dry, and over cooked. =(

Yeah my mom used to make it often, she has about 10 dinner dishes she'll make in a different order maybe bi-weekly. I don't let her cook anymore though because it's either a rotisserie chicken and macaroni and cheese or hot dogs. I definitely know how you feel haha. PS, saute is just putting it on a skillet, maybe with some oil, sometimes the oil's unnecessary.
  • vahine03
    Options
    They sound really good. I'm glad I'm not much of a fan for Hot dogs. haha. Every time I did eat them I'd get heartburn? It's horrible and I only do get that when I eat hot dogs. Anyways, THANKS for the clear up. Can't believe I had to be told twice. haha.