Hello Everyone! College Super Senior Needing URGENT help!

Options
Hello everyone,

I'm a super senior at college and I have been struggling to lose weight for quite some time. Constant yo-yo dieting (most people can relate)... My last year I am going to move into the apartments and will have some more freedom to make my own food.

What are some of the things that you have found help motivate yourself to lose weight on campus?
How do you find healthy food on campus (tips/tricks)?

Any help you could give me would be fantastic. Please please please add me as a friend and hopefully we can talk... Living on a college campus and trying to lose weight can be quite a hassle but I feel like with help and support, we can all do this! Thanks everyone.

Replies

• danicool9590
    danicool9590 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey! Find a friend and make yourself go to the gym. Don't go out on a weekend if you did not make it to the gym 3 times a week Start with something small. Walk somewhere a bit out of the way instead of driving or taking a car.

Food is hard. You really need to be on top of it. Grilled chicken, fish, most schools have options like that if you ask! See if your school has a dietitian on staff mine did and it really helped!

I graduated in may but spent 5 years including 2 summers living on a college campus eating campus food! It is hard but you need to want it. Chances are some of your friends/floormates/classmates are dealing with the same thing. I joined a biggest looser contest with my res hall! It was great having that motivation!

Most of all you need to believe in yourself! Trust that you can do this! If you need anything I am here and am willing to give you advice!
  • nikkivarts
    nikkivarts Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Once you start looking for healthy food on campus, it's not hard to find it. I'm not sure about your school, but my school is really big on healthy food. Everything is already portioned very small for you and lists the calories right next to all the foods. It's very convenient so I really don't have to think much about what I eat.
    Other than that, I never keep unhealthy food in my dorm. I barely keep any food in my dorm to be quite honest unless its vegetables, fruit, hummus, tea, oatmeal, or something like luna bars. I typically buy food for the day of, so I don't have the tendency to binge.
    When I go out to eat, I look up the menu ahead of time, or research foods close in caloric count to it and guess. At a restaurant I always ask for dressings on the sides, no oils, no butter, vegetables steamed, etc.
    Honestly exercising is a great stress reliever so I use it to look forward to getting away from studying for a bit. I really enjoy it now.
    In terms of making your own food next year, I think it's best to keep the amount of food you buy very minimal and simplistic. For example: breakfast have some fruit, a healthy cereal and milk, yogurt, egg whites (you can buy cartoned egg whites already made). Lunch you can make your self a salad (there are prepackaged chopped lettuce and other veggies), or like tuna or turkey lettuce wraps with a side salad. Even throw meat on your salad or make a sandwich. Dinner is always pretty tricky, but I find incorporating a side veggie and a very light soup helps. Fish is actually very easy to make, you just throw it on the stove and cook it for about 7 minutes each side, and instead of butter/oil I just use pam. Fish tastes amazing with lemon (same with chicken).
    Maybe in order not to binge you can set rules with your roommates to not eat each other's food? Or give them a heads up you're trying to lose weight. It may make you more accountable.
    Overall, keep the things you eat in your dorm pretty simple. Avoid processed stuff. And if you know you're gonna binge on a food, just DON'T BUY IT. If you crave it one day and want a simple cheat meal, go out and buy a small portion of it somewhere, eat part of it, and throw the rest away. Trust me on this that's so much better than how you feel 1000+ calories later.
    Good luck and feel free to friend/message me any time!