in need of support

Options
I am two weeks post op. I had surgery on 10/23/13. Feeling good but having trouble getting my protein in. Any suggestions?

Replies

• LadyG0915
    LadyG0915 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Protein powder, find your flavor and drink up. Until you can eat that is your best bet. Even after you can eat you are going to have to suppliment to get to your needed intake. I am a bit over a year out and I still have struggles because I am not always hungry, or thirsty so you have to make it a priority.
  • alchaley
    Options
    Buy single serve samples of different brands and flavors. If you're sick of the vanilla/chocolate flavors, try Syntrax Nectar. It comes in fruit flavors that are good. I drink a "fuzzy navel" every day AND a vanilla or chocolate protein shake! Ask the vitamin store you shop at for samples. They usually keep them in the back room. Keep drinking!
    Another good source you can start on soon is greek yogurt and cottage cheese. They are both high in protein too!
    Good luck on your journey.
  • VaingloriousVictoria
    Options
    I lived on Premier Protein chocolate shakes. They are premade, and you can find them at Sam's Club. 30 grams of protein for 11 oz. I would also add a scoop of protein powder, and that would raise the protein to about 50-60 depending on the scoop size.

Sip, sip, sip! :)
  • goodiegarcia
    Options
    Thank you all. The first week was a huge struggle but this second week is getting a lot easier for sure. My problem is that I started with Unjury samples and found the chocolate and vanilla pretty good but have run out and had to buy my own. I started with Pure Protein from Wal-mart and...Yuck! Trying to mix it with more flavorful things but its like cake batter. After this tub is gone I think I'll try the Premier Protein from Sams club as suggested from a few of you. Once again, thank you. I appreciate all the great advice.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Try Nectar brand Chocolate Truffle. I have been using it since May 2012 and still have a shake every morning for breakfast with skim milk and tblsp of PB2 mixed in it. Vitamin Shoppe sells it locally or go to Bariatric Choice and get it online for $34.99 for a 2 lb tub of it.
    Good luck!
  • candacet36
    candacet36 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I used Syntrax Nectar. You can get it at dietdirect.com of at Vitamin Shoppes. I got to where I could not do a chocolate or vanilla anything. I have tried the Crystal Sky and it was yummy the Fuzzy Navel is very much like orange juice and the Apple Esctasy tastes like a green jolley rancher and it my least favorite.

Just take baby steps in fluid. Congrats!
  • goodiegarcia
    Options
    Thank you. I'm looking forward to trying something new. I'll definitely be looking for a Vitamin Shoppe too. All I have nearby is a GNC and they don't carry much.
  • Gabbymom34
    Options
    Surgery 10/28 having lots issues getting anything in. Nothing taste good Even liquids. Haven't even tried protein yet...
  • goodiegarcia
    Options
    @Gabbymom34

Really sorry to hear you are having such a problem. Everyones experience after surgery is different. I know for the first week I didn't like the taste of anything nor did I even feel like eating or drinking but I knew I HAD TO. A lot of it was forced at first and eventually got easier. I hope things get easier for you.
  • Gabbymom34
    Options
    Thanks. Now seems everything even broth and water just sits in my throat.
  • therejohn
    therejohn Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Do not stress, you will get there. Most of us had problems getting our liquids and protien in the first few weeks. Your sleeve is still cranky, but it gets much easier. Visit the Syntrax website, you can order a sample packet with all the flavors. My all time fave is the chocolate truffle and like another reply, mix it wth PB2 (powdered peanut butter). I would not have added the PB2 early on, but months out the extra 23 calories are well spend, and my stoach can handle it. Best of luck to you!
  • therejohn
    Options
    Try a small one ounce little medicine cup and sip from it. When I was first sleeved it took me 15-20 minutes to get one ounce in. Drink to fast an it backs up on you, kinda like over filling a funnel.
  • therejohn
    Options
    Thanks. Now seems everything even broth and water just sits in my throat.

Try a small one ounce little medicine cup and sip from it. When I was first sleeved it took me 15-20 minutes to get one ounce in. Drink to fast an it backs up on you, kinda like over filling a funnel.
  • janisbirch
    janisbirch Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    ThereJohn has given all you Newbies some great advice. Sip and sip again about every 10 minutes to 15 minutes. It would take me a few hours before I could get 11 oz.'s of my Premier Nutrition Supplement down (found at Sam's and Costco).

You'll have to keep experimenting to find out what works for you, but be patient, and keep in touch with your Surgeon's Medical Staff.

My advice is to purchase your Protein Supplements, and any other liquids, in small quantities until you find a couple that satisfy you.

Wishing all of you the best, but be patient, okay? :drinker:
  • nantnet
    nantnet Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was sleeved on 10/02/2013 and I don't know if this will help you, but I make a mocha frappe' in the morning and I love them. I use:

1 scoop of chocolate whey protein powder (wal-mart)
    8 oz of skim milk
    2 tsp hersheys unsweetened chocolate powder
    1 cup ice cubes
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1 cup of decaf coffee

Mix your hersheys powder in your coffee while it is hot so it will disolve and then pour it in your blender with the milk and vanilla extract to cool the coffee and then add the whey protein and then add the ice last and blend.

My kids have tasted it and said it is as good as Mcdonalds frappe's. I also was told by my nutritionist that your body can not absorbe more than 28 grams of protein in 1 hours so you don't need to add an extra scoop unless you are going to take about 4 hours to drink this.

Hope it helps.
  • JenParrotMom
    Options
    that looks yummy!!