8weeks in, getting discouraged, lots of failures..

Options
So Monday will be the start of my 9th week, I am having success, dropped a few lbs, and dropped lots of inches off my gut. My lifts have gone up every workout, but this week. I am having trouble with squats and rows, I had to move around my gym so I can get form videos. I am trying to read as often as I can, but. I am very nervous about going any heavier until I get form checked.

I decided to post and see if anyone else experienced the loss to push yourself when you started to stall/fail. If so how did you o overcome it. Any suggestions about finding someone to assist with form but not steer me away from SL routine?

Replies

• 6550mom
    6550mom Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Can't speak for everyone, but I know when I had my stall, I read around and found that most people reached a point where they had to stay at the same weight for a few sessions or longer, and/or go up in smaller increments than the program calls for, and/or deload and work on form.

I think 8 weeks before stalling sounds pretty good, but again, I'm not an expert, but sounds normal to me. I think the step back and reassess form and take more time if necessary to go up in weight is the right path.

Others may have better advice, but that's what I did and was able to increase eventually on all my lifts (but did use fractional weights to go up in small increments).
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Look at failures as opportunities to work on form by de-loading the weight and getting it right. I will decrease the weight by about 20% and really concentrate on my form slowly working my way back up and surpassing the stall weight. I also will stay at a really heavy weight for a few weeks until my body lets me know it can go heavier. The use of fractionals helps as well.
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    It's normal! The first deload feels so hard to do but don't be afraid of it. Do post form videos too!
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    See, this question kinda confuses me as well.

If you look at this blogpost: http://stronglifts.com/a-little-5x5-mistake-that-can-retard-your-gains/
    and
    http://stronglifts.com/do-you-make-these-15-common-mistakes-on-stronglifts-5x5/ point 9 specifically.

It seems like you have to keep adding weight every work out, even if you just finish ONE REP PER SET?
  • Mikej77
    Mikej77 Posts: 112
    Options
    Point 9 is actually what made me drop my squat weight down by 10 lbs. I was not comfortable with my form. I have only made one form check video and it was at a bad angle and got literally 3 comments on it. I changed my entire gym around so I can have my wife video with more room. She will be down there with me tonight so I can get some better quality videos posted.

I have had back pain in the past before ever working out, I do not want to continue adding weight if my form is off. I think I am just approaching my actual work weight and it is time to check form for real. My wife helps 100% when she is down there, but when she is not I am at a loss and get nervous. I am doing this to get stronger and get more healthy, not cause an injury that will set me back or make matters worse.

The good news is after talking to some friends and posting on the inner circle I realize I am just thinking about it too much. I will get form checked and move on. I am in this for the long haul, I have no intentions of giving up after I get comfortable with my body. I want this to be a lifestyle change and will continue with SL5x5 until it stops goving me gains. At that point I will move on to the next routine that Mehdi teaches.

I also want to point out that where I am right now and the feelings I am getting have lots to do with the mental side of things. I am a thinker, and sometimes I over think everything and stress myself out. Stress at home is negatively effecting my spirit and causing me to give up a little easier then I would like. I am hoping that tonight with the wife around, things will go differently.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this program for about six weeks now. I do it by myself. I don't even know anybody at my gym. I seem to be the only one there who is doing this type of thing.

I am finding the benches and presses frustrating, since I can't seem to get the form and breathing right, and I have not seen a whole lot of progress in the amount of weight I can do. Will keep working at it, though.

On the squat I have gone from the 45 pound bar to being able to do all sets at 85. I will be trying 90 tomorrow. I'm doing 100 on the deadlift and 50 on the rows. So I have made progress.
  • CactusF1ower
    CactusF1ower Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    How did things work out Mike?
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    It's always okay to deload if you feel form is suffering. I found that as I reached certain weights I had to deload, then add more reps, and just generally slow down my progression. But this isn't a race, and every time you lift you are making progress, even if it doesn't show up on the bar.
  • Jcao1214
    Jcao1214 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Honestly I think we have to remember this program was designed for men who are innately much stronger and can progress their weights faster. Don't beat yourself up if you stall at a weight. Whenever I stall at a weight I just stick with the weight and when I start feeling comfortable in my form after several sessions (and complete all sets) I will then try to push it again. Also is it an option to pay for one or two sessions with a trainer just to have them critique your form? A lot of my progress I feel is due to the fact that my form is correct.