Running with music ( Apps that uses music based on pace)

Options
I love running with music I currently use my phone and just play Pandora and select a running playlist. But I have been reading that there are apps that play music based on the pace that you are running.

I have Android phone do any of you use any of these apps?
If you do which one do you like better?

Or do you just make your own playlist?

Replies

• erinalysa14
    Options
    I play pandora on my phone while I run also. On long runs, I use the "alternative endurance training" station. I love it.
  • Bounce2
    Bounce2 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I can't run with music but a friend of mine uses http://jog.fm/ which allows her to select songs based on the pace she wants to run at for a given work out. I think the song selection might be a bit limited but depending on what you are looking for it might be ok?
  • beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Be careful with the whole "pace" thing. Just because your stride isn't very long doesn't mean you shouldn't be running at or around the generally accepted 180 steps per minute. Stride is what should dictate your speed, not footfalls per minute. Running at a slower stride pace, no matter how fast you are, promotes poor running form. If you're using pace-based music, it should be to move toward the 180 steps per minute goal, not make you run faster or slower.

In general, for the most part I make playlists on Spotify.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I love my music when I'm running - but I just have a playlist that is all over the place with zero regard to the tempo of the music. Instead I pick songs that I really like... they span decades, they span genres, sometimes I skip tons of songs until I settle on one that feels right, sometimes everything that comes up is fine - it all depends on my mood on that run. Music is most clutch for me during training runs; during race days there seems to be enough external stimulation that I don't need it as much.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    So I get ideas of songs that match my pace from jog fm, but I purchase my music and set my playlists using my amazon mp3 app on my droid. I put my playlist on shuffle.

I added some new music to my phone before Sunday's HM. Different music really helped my race performance. But I wasn't very careful when I set my list. At mile six when I turned the corner to face a giant hill (when you really need a power song) a slow love ballad from one of my daughter's barbie albums started. Killed my mojo a bit.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    I play pandora on my phone while I run also. On long runs, I use the "alternative endurance training" station. I love it.

did not know there was such a station on Pandora going to look for it thanks
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    I can't run with music but a friend of mine uses http://jog.fm/ which allows her to select songs based on the pace she wants to run at for a given work out. I think the song selection might be a bit limited but depending on what you are looking for it might be ok?

Thanks going to check it out
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    Be careful with the whole "pace" thing. Just because your stride isn't very long doesn't mean you shouldn't be running at or around the generally accepted 180 steps per minute. Stride is what should dictate your speed, not footfalls per minute. Running at a slower stride pace, no matter how fast you are, promotes poor running form. If you're using pace-based music, it should be to move toward the 180 steps per minute goal, not make you run faster or slower.

In general, for the most part I make playlists on Spotify.

Thanks for the advice really appreciate it will check out spotify
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    I love my music when I'm running - but I just have a playlist that is all over the place with zero regard to the tempo of the music. Instead I pick songs that I really like... they span decades, they span genres, sometimes I skip tons of songs until I settle on one that feels right, sometimes everything that comes up is fine - it all depends on my mood on that run. Music is most clutch for me during training runs; during race days there seems to be enough external stimulation that I don't need it as much.

I love running with music as well I like the Pandora station that I have. I was just curious if anyone was using Apps based on pace. I still run with music on race days I feel it allows me to concentrate more on the run than what is going on around me
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    So I get ideas of songs that match my pace from jog fm, but I purchase my music and set my playlists using my amazon mp3 app on my droid. I put my playlist on shuffle.

I added some new music to my phone before Sunday's HM. Different music really helped my race performance. But I wasn't very careful when I set my list. At mile six when I turned the corner to face a giant hill (when you really need a power song) a slow love ballad from one of my daughter's barbie albums started. Killed my mojo a bit.

Going to check out jog fm, so far Pandora has not let me know but on occasion I do get the slow song and while running I have having to take off my phone or stop to skip the song.

That is a bummer about the slow ballad song that would really suck
  • AshleyMeggg
    AshleyMeggg Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if they have it for android, but apple has an app called cruise control that takes your music and plays it, but it adjusts it to whatever pace you want. I haven't tried it yet because I'm REALLY slow and apparently too slow for the app, but I messed around with it a little bit and it seemed pretty cool.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options

I couldn't have said it better myself:smile:

I use my ipod and create my own playlists to run to. I have so many, but a new playlist always pumps up my run.
  • degan2011
    degan2011 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I always just use my running playlist downloaded to my phone... I noticed that pandora doesnt work very well when I am running my gps tracking app.