Supplements?

Options
I know someone had mentioned what supplements they were on recently but I was curious to see what others are on and what it has helped them out with. I'm somewhat anti-doctor for now (very traumatic experience recently with my child's birth) and would like to go back to self-curing as it were.. I'm not really concerned about my blood glucose as keto is currently controlling that..but the hair thinning, anxiety and mood swings are becoming hard for my family (and me) to deal with.

Personally I'm following a 1200 calorie diet (it averages around there) and have found that to really kick my weight loss into gear, so for now not really concerned there, plus cinnamon, centrum and fish oil have helped make up for what I'm not getting (I feel much better with than without) and I think that's it.

What about you guys? What are your non-prescription methods for dealing with PCOS?

Replies

• leachjg
    leachjg Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My numbers have never allowed me to be on prescription medication. I am one of those weird one that has every symptom of PCOS with good sugar levels so no metformin. I have recently started taking chromium. It does seem to help. I also take B12, but that is for mood. Chromium is to make your "sugar system" run more efficiently.
  • Jward712
    Jward712 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I use pregnitude.. it is designed for women with pcos and is not its name. It helps with weight loss and with over growth of hair, color, energy and even attitude. I also use methly B12 which you can get at walgreens It is a better form of b12 for women with PCOS and our bodies absorub more of it.
  • missa3428
    Options
    Hello I have PCOS I started taking Vitex on Aug 7th, I have had 3 Af's since, I have started getting my hair in the front of my head to start growing back, my mood swings are nonexistent, and my hair on my chin is slowing going away. With this I also started Progesterone Cream from day 15 to 30 or until af starts. I take Vitamin B complex, and D 5000 IU's. I have felt a lot better since I have started this. I also eat no processed sugars and no complex carbs. I stick to meats, veggies, and cheese.

I am also trying to get pregnant so this is helping me with hopefully ovulate as I dont do that.

I hope you find something that helps you!
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I take:
    Glucoplex
    Estro Adapt
    Vitex
    Tribulus (days 5-14)
    Rhodiola
    Folic acid
    Vitamin D

Progesterone cream (days 14-period)

And recently started trying to drink a lot of spearmint tea as some studies have shown it has testosterone-lowering effects.

For the anxiety and mood swings I could recommend the rhodiola, since that seems to have helped me a lot mentally since I started taking it. As for the hair thinning, I wish I could say I'd found something that works, but unfortunately I'm pretty sure I'm going to be looking at wigs soon :( Hopefully the spearmint tea will help.
  • CrappyMornings
    Options
    Yeah, I tried wigs out at my worst, just be careful as the wigs actually can pull more of your hair out which is a nuisance..so I basically ended up having to wear it constantly..now I just wear hats, they're cute and no one says anything about my scalp!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    My numbers have never allowed me to be on prescription medication. I am one of those weird one that has every symptom of PCOS with good sugar levels so no metformin. I have recently started taking chromium. It does seem to help. I also take B12, but that is for mood. Chromium is to make your "sugar system" run more efficiently.

Have you ever had your fasting insulin tested and not just your glucose? I know my glucose sits at more or less normal, but my insulin levels were on the high side, making metformin worthwhile for me.
  • DeonnPaul
    DeonnPaul Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Pregnitude is a cleverly named supplement that only contains two things: myo inositol and folic acid. Both of these definitely help with PCOS (and fertility), but purchase them on their own. You will get much more for your money. (My review on Amazon for this product has been bumped up to the most helpful critical review. Tee hee hee, I feel famous)

I take the following:
    Vitex
    Progesterone Cream
    5-HTP (evenings only now, but I used to take it twice a day)
    L-Theanine (only at night)
    GABA
    Inositol Powder
    B Complex
    D
    Prenatal vitamin (seriously, all women should take a prenatal vitamin regardless of whether you are pregnant or not- they are just better vitamins for women!)
    Folic Acid

The 5-HTP, L-Theanine, GABA, and Inositol help elevate moods soooooo well for me. All can be purchased off of Amazon. L-Theanine I take at night for insomnia, so if you don't have issues with that you can probably skip over that one.

For the hair loss, try rosemary oil. Rubbing it into the scalp regularly really helps. You might want to take Biotin as well, and consider purchasing a hair regrowth shampoo. The pricier ones do work.