Insomnia

Options
Urg, it's midnight and I'm taking a break from trying to fall asleep. I'm shattered and have been hanging out for bedtime since about 6pm. Hit the hay at 9.30 when bubs promptly began her nightly calisthenics, however this time added kicking me fiercely in the cervix to her routine, which was kinda hard to ignore (actually made me yelp!). She's settled down now but I'm wide awake and trying all my usual tricks to flip back into snooze mode.

I don't know how one can be so tired yet not at all sleepy - anyone else plagued by pregnancy insomnia?

Replies

• lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I had it for a while. There were days I didn't even want to go to work, thinking "There is no way I can be responsible for 26 students all day." Once I realized I function fine during the day, I just rolled with it.

Now I'm able to sleep as long as I do so alone. My husband and I alternate sleeping in the babies room (we're leaving a twin size bed in there anyway). We try to sleep together but at the first sign of restlessness one of us leaves. Any little noise wakes me and I either pass out immediately or it takes a good 30 minutes....

I guess it's just prepping us for the sleepless nights to come.
  • Flybeetle
    Flybeetle Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I feel your frustration!
    It's 3am right now and I haven't been able to sleep for most of the night. Had on and off snoozes but my runny nose keeps me up and then eventually my baby got into it too and starting rolling around and kicking, also to the point of pain. I've been really lucky so far but the last week or so I have been up more often with a playing baby in the middle of the night. I have to ask my husband to put his hand on my tummy because that's the only thing that calms our baby down. Yet tonight it doesn't help calm ME down, my brain just doesn't want to hear how tired my body is and I've given up for the moment, it just frustrates me trying to sleep to no avail. So I'm up. Now I'm hungry : /

Ooh, and Mary, I hope you're fast asleep right now :)

Lisa, yes, it is probably good practice, I'd just rather sleep than practice at the moment...

Tiny, ooh, I think you're right, going online has just woken me up more, I'll get off straight away!

Also, Had a snack, not even going to log it out of annoyance :)
  • tinybry
    tinybry Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    another insomniac here! I am on and off anyway so pregnancy just adds a bit more to the mix.

I usually find I need to get up and wonder for a bit, maybe have a small drink (although as needing the loo so frequently is a pain this is not always helpful!) and then I end up in our spare room usually! As I am pretty restless and finding it so hard to get comfortable (hip and back aches plus odd muscle pains in my belly - it is pretty huge so not surprising!) I need plenty of space. plus as my OH snores I need to try and stop myself kicking him too hard ;)

I try to avoid going online in the night as I find the screen (laptop or phone) wakes me up more, so usually try and read.

Hope you managed to get a bit of sleep.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I had it for a while. There were days I didn't even want to go to work, thinking "There is no way I can be responsible for 26 students all day." Once I realized I function fine during the day, I just rolled with it.

Now I'm able to sleep as long as I do so alone. My husband and I alternate sleeping in the babies room (we're leaving a twin size bed in there anyway). We try to sleep together but at the first sign of restlessness one of us leaves. Any little noise wakes me and I either pass out immediately or it takes a good 30 minutes....

I guess it's just prepping us for the sleepless nights to come.

I've been thinking about moving to the other bed too, but I know he'll take offense to it. I was sleeping great there for awhile, but now that's over and I'm perpetually tired.
  • Sixel
    Sixel Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. Sometimes my nights are pretty bad and I'm wide awake for hours, only to fall asleep right before the alarm goes off. Luckily, I do get the occasional good night (last night) and it makes me feel so much better!
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    never been a good sleeper and having to pee or change positions because of leg cramps is not helping at all. I am normally a tummy sleeper but I can't do that either.
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I have no problems FALLING asleep - I have problems staying asleep though because I've been having bad hip and back pain! Bahhh.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I have been suffering with insomnia for a few weeks now. I am going to be 12 weeks tomorrow, not very far along at all, so it has nothing to do with baby moving or anything. Partially dealing with 'morning' sickness in the middle of the night, but for the most part, it is just the plain inability to fall asleep. My mind has been running a million miles an hour and I have a hard time settling down to bed.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    Thankfully this week I've been sleeping really well - no loo breaks required, aches abating - however, I'm feeling more tired during the day than when I was only getting three or four hours. Weird.
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I have been up for awhile the last two nights. Two nights ago, I don't know what it was except that maybe adjusting to my gestational diabetes diet. Not sure. I woke up and was so hungry. I'm supposed to have six meals a day, first being breakfast and last being a "bedtime snack". It was about 4 AM so I tested blood sugar (considered that my fasting/first thing in the morning test). It was fine so I had a little cheese and went back to bed and was fine the rest of the night. I CANNOT sleep when I'm hungry.
    Last night I think it had more to do with the fact that I was at the ER with my daughter last night. She got a splinter in under her fingernail and they had to do surgery with novocaine. My husband was out with friends and his phone wasn't ringing. (He even showed me - he had no missed calls! This has me a little worried because what if we're apart and I have problems with the baby - eh, always something). Anyway, I was up for hours last night obsessing about the fact that the doctor told me that the antibiotic he was prescribing has a 4% chance of a cross-reaction with another antibiotic she's allergic to so to be on the lookout for any issues. Last night I just kept thinking about how when he was four, my brother almost died from an allergic reaction to the same antibiotic my daughter is allergic to (not the one she's taking). So as soon as I got up this AM, I called my mom and she was like "No they just kept giving him the same thing over and over again" but it wasn't the one she's been prescribed this time, or in that family. (His were all in the same family). So now I'm totally over it.
    Hopefully can get some sleep tonight.
    I have been having the same husband problem, BTW. Either he started snoring since I got pregnant or he always did and it didn't wake me. I've slept on the couch a few times but it's harder at seven months, right? I make him roll over and hope that it stops. Other than our bed and our daughter's, we don't have any other beds.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I have been up for awhile the last two nights. Two nights ago, I don't know what it was except that maybe adjusting to my gestational diabetes diet. Not sure. I woke up and was so hungry. I'm supposed to have six meals a day, first being breakfast and last being a "bedtime snack". It was about 4 AM so I tested blood sugar (considered that my fasting/first thing in the morning test). It was fine so I had a little cheese and went back to bed and was fine the rest of the night. I CANNOT sleep when I'm hungry.
    Last week I was getting up most nights between midnight and 2am starving - my go to is a glass of milk. Found out today that bubs has had a big growth spurt, which pretty much explains the increased appetite. I say eat if you're hungry - especially if it's keeping you awake.
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    ^^^ I have been with no negative effect on blood sugar. I just hope I don't wake up again tonight.
  • BrainOnAStick
    BrainOnAStick Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Every night I wake up around 3:30 unable to fall back asleep. On most days, I feel like I am losing my mind. My doc said I can try taking Unisom. I bought some today. My fingers are crossed!
  • mrs_n0rris
    mrs_n0rris Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Every night I wake up around 3:30 unable to fall back asleep. On most days, I feel like I am losing my mind. My doc said I can try taking Unisom. I bought some today. My fingers are crossed!

I wake up at 3:30 every night too! I was wondering if this is my body getting ready for feeding in the middle of the night. I found that either turning on Netflix/tv to something light helps or turning on a white noise app. I especially like the waves crashing on the beach program from 'White Noise' (which is free!).
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I've had insomnia on and off for most of this pregnancy, usually the up at 3 a.m. variety. Sleepy Time tea before bed seems to help a bit.