First appointment has been made

Options
I finally made the call yesterday to make an appointment for a consultation. My current insurance has bariatrics as an exclusion, so I made sure when we had open enrollment that i chose a plan that covers it. I am very excited. I have been doing so much research, watching peoples videos on youtube,ect...so my appt is January 7th, I am going to a pre-op group meeting next week.
I am hoping my insurance approves me and get this done....i turn 40 in January also, so i am hoping this can be a birthday present to myself. I am ready for a new me.

Replies

• LessofaLargeMarge
    Options
    Good for you! I will cross my fingers for you!:happy:
  • ratkins811
    ratkins811 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I hope it works out for you. Feel free to add me as a friend if you like.
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Congrats on taking that first step!
  • laresaboyle
    Options
    Thank you! I hope all goes as planned and i get approved! I am so tired of being the person i have let myself turn into.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Hope everything works out with your insurance. I got my sleeve 2+ years ago, not done losing yet (I started with 220 to lose) and can honestly say this is the best thing I've ever done for my self!
  • laresaboyle
    Options
    I am at a point now where i know this just has to happen. So if insurance won't approve it, i guess i will be financing it. I have to do this for me....
  • pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I got sleeved in July and am very happy with my decision.
  • Shannie312
    Shannie312 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am turning 40 in March and also look at this as a gift to myself! Hopefully I will be having surgery in January, a great start to a new year. Good luck to you :)
  • redfishwhofish
    Options
    I turned 40 this past march and decided to have surgery. I have done most of the pre-op requirements and meet with the surgeon right after Thanksgiving for my second appointment. I am hoping to have the surgery done sometime in early 2014. Luckily my insurance is covering everything but all the office visit copays. I have also been looking at this as a belated birthday gift to myself. Feel free to add me as a friend, and Good Luck to you!
  • cmorga02
    cmorga02 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    This is a decision that you will not regret. I'm only 3 weeks post-op and I'm feeling amazing!

One thing that I would suggest and this is in my opinion, see if your surgeon has a diet plan. My wife and I went to University of Tennessee Bariatric Center and they had a very in-depth plan. They want you to loose weight prior to surgery, most insurances require a 3-6 month pre-op supervised diet and I lost 50 pounds before surgery!

You said you watch youtube videos, my wife and I have a channel where we tracked our progress in the program, ChucknSarah. Feel free to check it out. We go over everything we've done... although my wife does ramble a bit, but it still has good info.
  • platinum3karat
    platinum3karat Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I have my first consultation scheduled for December 4, 2013. I already spoke with the nurse who said If all goes well I should be ready to have the surgery in February 2014 where I will also have my gall bladder removed at the same time.
  • bondgirl129
    Options
    I had the surgery 11/13/13 and its a very weird and wonderful experience. I had to jump through a ton of hoops to get insurance approval and I would happily do it all again if needed.
  • bwise678
    Options
    I started the process in August by taking the plunge and going the a meeting. I'm on teh lower end for BMI at 37, but I have over 100 lbs to loose. I've gone to the nutritionist, cardio clearence, pulmonary clearance, blood work is done, sleep study done, I have a tenative date set for 12/30, but just got a call from the dr.s that I never did a support group meeting and that the next one isnt until January 12th. I'm really disappointed. I've already planned sick leave, babysitters, etc. My brother in law had it done in July adn he's been my support plue the forums and youtube videos. I' want to do everythign right, but I'm feeling disappointed.
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Take a breath and be patient. You may find the support group meetings are the best part of the process. When I started the process in August of 2012 I figured I would run through the medical appointments, hit 3 meetings and be done with it but since my sleeve (9/26/13) I have found the meetings to be very informative and helpful. This is a minor setback that will most likely position you for long term success. Good luck.
  • capecodgirl50
    capecodgirl50 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    that is exactly how I feel - letting this weight turn me into someone else - shy - withdrawn - not me - I completely lost control - I am going for my first four meetings in January also.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Support group has been invaluable for me. The real life info you receive face to face is so helpful. Especially the mental aspect of submitting to the process and letting go of your problem habits. I don't use the word lightly. If you submit to the new reality and embrace your new relationship with food you will be pleased with the results. If you fight it and return to your problem foods and habits I can pretty much guarantee disappointment.. Support group helps you focus on all the wonderful things you are doing for yourself and celebrate all your non scale victories