Who lifts and bikes?

Options
2»

Replies

• scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Riding and lifting dont go together. To much upper body muscle weighs too much and makes you slower going uphill. There is a reason that pro cyclist have no upper body muscles at all.

What works for the pros typically doesn't apply to us folks on MFP, so, I have to respectfully disagree and offer what my experience has been. When I started doing Crossfit which includes a lot of lifting, both low reps and heavy weights as well as high reps and lighter weights, it was a total game changer for my cycling. I didn't gain weight at all. The lifting was a vital part of a fitness regime that helped me drop about 20-30 lbs and this was while adding muscle to my upper body and legs. I went from the last guy up the hill on B rides to one of the first guys up the hills on the A/A+ rides. On solo rides, the upper body strength helped me to comfortably stay in the drops adding 1-2 mph to my average speed at the same effort levels. Also, as a mountain biker, the added upper body strength helps me control the bike with much more confidence, especially when having to quickly pop the wheels off the ground to overcome obstacles.

Other benefits: my IT band irritation on long rides disappeared almost immediately when I started lifting. Also, I can spin and at a broader range of cadences more comfortably and take long uphill pulls out of the saddle with ease. My 10-20 second sprints and short 1-2 minute anaerobic efforts got a huge boost. Finally, what lifting (and Crossfit) has done for me is that it allows me to keep up with guys that spend 2, 3, or 4 times/miles on the bike as I do. As a married guy with a baby, I just cannot get out much on the bike but it is nice to know that when I do want to catch the occasional group ride, I won't embarrass myself too badly.

So you lost weight and got better at cycling? Well no kidding. From a strictly scientific standpoint for distance/aerobic riding you use type I muscles. Lifting uses type IIa and IIb muscles. There is VERY LITTLE crossover. So what you're really experiencing is an improvement in general fitness and you power/weight ratio went up because your weight went down. You cadence improved again because you are more fit overall and you weight went down. Lifting weights is great for addressing muscle imbalances (see you IT band issue), it's great for body composition, and it's great to address injury prevention. It will not fundamentally make you a better cyclist. Hill repeats will make you stronger. Low cadence intervals will make you stronger. Threshold intervals will make you stronger.

Again being a competitive cyclist isn't the goal of the majority of this site, general health and aesthetics is so work in lifting as you like.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,227 Member
    Options
    Not true. As stated before competitive cyclists will get slower by upping their bench press. What you're looking for in competitive cycling is a good mass/power ratio. Upping your muscle mass in your upper body will decrease this.

All that said most people don't want to look like Jens Voigt. My offseason lifting routine when only cycling consists of strictly compound movements. Routines like 5x5 or a stripped down 5/3/1 (ie less assistance work) would be worth looking into.

I can't think of any lifting routine that my coach has put me on that involved bench presses. Weight lifting for competitive cyclists is a different animal than those that are lifting to look like Hans and Franz. It's more about building supportive muscles and developing the correct muscles to give you a power to weight ratio that maximizes performance. Weight lifting should be a part of any sport training, whether you are a runner, cyclist or football player. However, what and how you lift should be different for every sport. If you go to the website of professional cyclists such as Positive Performance Coaching, or cycling360media.com, they will discuss how weight lifting will help and how it's different that what you typically think of as weight lifting.

Cyclists like Mark Cavendish and Peter Sagan certainly are not going to have the same routine as Chris Froome or that little Columbian guy who's name escapes me right now. That guy was AWESOME!!!! Peter Sagan and Mark Cavendish sprint like a bullet and have legs the size of tree trunks. Chris Froome and the Columbian guy look like twigs in comparison but they climb like nobody I have seen. So what you do for weights depends on what you want to do on the bike. I'm pretty sure though that they all use weights during their training routines. The best thing you can do is hire a certified coach and let him help you decide what weights are right for you depending on what your goals are.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I just want to point out that lifting doesn't automatically mean you will gain muscle or weight. Gaining is a function of diet.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Good Point Busylady406 :drinker:
  • beatpig
    beatpig Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have just started incorporating weights in to my routine. At the moment I am just making sure my body will adapt to weights, and am on "adaptation" period - low weights, high reps. I am doing leg flexion, hip flexors, leg extensions and hip extensions after calculating my RM - and I am pushing about 40% of that.

I am doing this three times a week, and following that session (about an hour) with a z2 ride.

I am also doing work on my upper body, but to a lesser degree. I will still need some muscle, shoulders, curls, lats for climbing - though I won't be looking to build, but strengthen without the bulk.

So, Tuesdays, Thursday, Saturday - Gym

And Monday, Wednesday, Friday - pure core work.

I think that there is this understanding that gym means bulk, which, if you are a track rider will follow a cycle of that means a long hypertrophy stage - whereas I am looking a lower hypertrophy as I am looking to do hill climbing and TTs next year.

Does anyone know if the "fact" that WT doesn't really take an effect until some 12 weeks later is correct?
  • primal_cupcakes
    primal_cupcakes Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I lift three times a week: MWF or TuThSa. Currently doing another round of Stronglifts. Before that I was still doing full body weights 3 times a week.
  • Twomirrors
    Twomirrors Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of riding - 5 to 7 days a week. In winter and early spring, I do legs at the gym 2-3 days a week to build strength. It made a huge difference in my hill climbing this year, and make a huge difference in my technical mountain biking ability, especially uphill.

I skip the weights in the summer and substitute strength intervals on the bike because I find lifting makes my legs feel weak for a couple of days. Instead, I do stuff like seated steep hill intervals pushing 300-400 watts for 1-3 minutes.

As for upper body lifting, well, I skip it. =)

Have fun riding!
  • cyclistphil
    cyclistphil Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    So you lost weight and got better at cycling? Well no kidding. From a strictly scientific standpoint for distance/aerobic riding you use type I muscles. Lifting uses type IIa and IIb muscles. There is VERY LITTLE crossover. So what you're really experiencing is an improvement in general fitness and you power/weight ratio went up because your weight went down. You cadence improved again because you are more fit overall and you weight went down. Lifting weights is great for addressing muscle imbalances (see you IT band issue), it's great for body composition, and it's great to address injury prevention. It will not fundamentally make you a better cyclist. Hill repeats will make you stronger. Low cadence intervals will make you stronger. Threshold intervals will make you stronger.

Again being a competitive cyclist isn't the goal of the majority of this site, general health and aesthetics is so work in lifting as you like.
    [/quote]

This is what I was trying to say only I am too stupid to put it into words properly.
  • MDLNH
    MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Cycling is just one component of my fitness program.

Cycling was originally used as part of my cardio program in my weight loss programming due to its low-impact on my knees (and my weight). As the weight began to come off and my cardio improved, I was able to go for longer rides and began attending a spin class. I also began a strength and conditoning program. Once again, as the weight came off, I began to push myself to new distances and speeds. I also began to wak/run and even swim from time to time. It was at about 80 pounds gone, I decided to run my 1st 5k and I did great. And then I heard about a local sprint triathlon and thought . . . hmmm - why not ??? Along the way to training for the sprint-tri everyting changed (and accelerated) for me: eating, adding a lifting/strength program (via CrossFit) and working on faster times and even greater distances. **II won't bore you with the details of the last year, but will say that once I added an intense strength & condtioning program, all aspects of my life changed for me.

Here's my "Winter" schedule:
    Monday - Spin (morning) and then CrossFit (evening).
    Tuesday - Swim (morning) and then CrossFit (evening).
    Wednesday - Rest day or maybe a swim or run.
    Thursday - CrossFit (noon or evening).
    Friday - Spin or Swim (morning).
    Weekends - Long run.

*My "Summer" schedule has long bike rides instead of the runs - because cycling it my favorite :-)

And I have noticed a difference/improvment in all aspects of my swimiming, running and cycling. Better times, longer distances, ease of hills and spints/flats, etc. I've even been told I'm more foccused and at times get a little moody if I miss a workout. I've noticed that though my weight-loss has slowed, my clothes are looser and I'm leaner and that can be the best part !!!

Good Luck to everyone and stay safe on the roads, trails, lakes or where-ever you choose to run, ride, swim or train !!!
  • dirtybadgermtb
    dirtybadgermtb Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I am sure that when Sir Christopher Hoy is leg pressing 900 lbs, he is thinking how it is a total waste of time. But all joking aside, I would argue that the weight loss was largely a result of weight training and it's metabolic benefits. So, therefore, if I got better on the bike as a result of weight loss and the weight loss came as a result of weight training then weight training benefits cycling.
  • GiddyNZ
    GiddyNZ Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Seeing as though I can't stand the boredom of free weights I attend a Les Mills Body Pump class twice a week as part of my routine, which is a full body weights workout..

Monday - Run on treadmill, rowing machine, stationary bike (went MTB ride this week)
    Tuesday - Pump class
    Wednesday - Just started Step class
    Thursday - Pump class
    Friday - Rest Day
    Saturday - MTB ride 30+km
    Sunday - Rest Day
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    My cycling season routine was 3 sessions of weights and 3 sessions of cardio a week, alternate days.

The weights are normally a mix of machines, free weights and bodyweight exercises in a high tempo circuit training style. Very upper body focussed (partly through injuries, partly to save my legs for cardio).
    The cardio is normally one hour on a Spinning bike (mostly high intensity), one hour mixed (rower, elliptical, treadmill) and one longer weekend cycle.
    Training varied depending on cycling goals throughout the season (from century ride to hill climbing to speed work).

Just switching over to 4 weights sessions and 2 cardio sessions a week as I can't tolerate cold so my cycling is finished for the year. :grumble:

Working on strength and recomp for the next couple of months. In the New Year I will start cardio endurance building.
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    Does the fact that lifiting weights of any type consistently is going to help with bone density figure into this discussion at all?

http://anthonycolpo.com/cycling-and-bone-health-why-cyclists-must-lift-weights/
  • dirtybadgermtb
    dirtybadgermtb Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Does the fact that lifiting weights of any type consistently is going to help with bone density figure into this discussion at all?

It does now!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

That's a really awesome article...

Except the freaking boobie lady with the glammed out mountain bike. WTF? He couldn't find an image of a REAL mountain biker? Why throw boobie lady in there?! Those things would give her a black eye if she actually got on that bike.
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    Except the freaking boobie lady with the glammed out mountain bike. WTF? He couldn't find an image of a REAL mountain biker? Why throw boobie lady in there?! Those things would give her a black eye if she actually got on that bike.

Well, I agree with that but I think its like other things - they want some sex to make it pop. The research appeared to be valid though.
  • beatpig
    beatpig Posts: 97 Member
    Options

That's a really awesome article...

Whoa, almost NSFW!
  • GiddyNZ
    GiddyNZ Posts: 136 Member
    Options

Yeah but how old is that photo??!! [Partner thinks it's from an old Evans Cycles ad circa 2003]
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    @ Busylady - ROFL!!! I was cracking up when I read your post. I never scrolled down on the article. I had to go back and look. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I do have to agree with you on this one. What?!!! It's a nice snow bike but why not put in something like a picture of a mountain bike competition.

@ Verdemujer - True, sex sells. Research into sex selling shows it works both ways. Guys see a set of breasts and can't quit thinking about the picture which engrains the product in their brain. Women look at a picture of breasts and wish they looked like that model and subliminally by the product so they can look like that too. Neither is a valid reason to buy the product but advertising research shows it works.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    I showed the article to one of my techs and she pointed out the new riding shows are 4" heals. That must be to help you get traction in the snow. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: