Week 11Nov to 17Nov Training & Progress Chat

Options
Qski
Qski Posts: 246 Member
just starting topic for this week, hoping to get back on tread mill Tuesday am, but will depend on the shins!

Replies

• Vaugirard15
    Vaugirard15 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Week 7, Workout 1 today. Wasn't expecting much since I needed to take pain meds for the arthritis last night but it went really well. Started with 10 minute brisk walk then 5 min free-form (ran 4). Right at the beginning (so not a spoiler), Dr. Myers tells me that it's week 7 so I should run as much as possible in the free-forms. That's new! Then 1 min run and 15 sec of skipping-- very awkward first time since I've clearly forgotten how to skip! Not terribly graceful in the others, either, but that first one was trying to remember how to do it! (the things we forget!). Did all of that without stopping. Then right into a 5 minute run-- walked first 2 minutes then ran last 3. Three minutes stretching (will be curious to know what you guys do here-- I'm not sure what I should be doing), 5 min run x 2 (ran 4, ran all 5 in last one).

I really thought I was going slow (didn't care really since my goal was to run as much as I could, no matter how slow) but am very pleased with final results. Only covered about 4k but the workout was only 43 minutes instead of 53 (like week 6). At this pace, it will take me about an hour to do a 5k… but it will be great to be able to run the whole way! Also noticed during last 5 minute run that I spaced out again, just watching things going on around me and listening to the music-- not thinking at all about breathing, running, time left! It feels weird but great!

Week 8, with its 20 minute run then 5k looks really scary still but there are glimmers of possibility. I love the zombies! ;-)
  • cynforgiven
    Options
    Hey Runners!

Over the weekend I tried to get Hubby to go walking with me, but he decided we were going bike riding. I did fairly well for not having been on a bike in a long time. Of course I played the last 3 missions of season 1 while I was out there - mainly because I was fighting tooth and nail to keep the bike moving. I only had one earbud in so most i could just hear the voices and music. Is it weird that hearing Sam and Janine's voices was comforting and encouraging?

Today was some yoga for cross training and a repeat of the first Halloween mission on the elliptical. I have week 4 workout 1 of the 5k tentatively planned for tomorrow (rescheduled from today). Hopefully it'll happen.

Vaugirard - sorry to hear arthur's bothering you, but glad it ins't keeping you from your workouts. until recently I constantly had some over the counter pan med in my system. Lately though I still ache, but either not as bad or I'm so used to it that I don't know what "pain free" is anymore. The "snap crackle pop" crunchy sounds really irritate me though :)

Qski - how're the shins doing?
  • Qski
    Options
    Hi Runner 5s
    I've been ill the last couple of days so pretty much lying in bed feeling sorry for myself. Just a cold though (I can be a bit melodramatic!)
    Will probably be doing a mission - or just a long walk tonight and get back to things over the weekend!
    Take Care
    Q
  • cynforgiven
    Options
    Hey again -

Achieved my goal and did wk4 m1 yesterday. The whole thing was on the elliptical, too! :noway: I kept the tension the same for the slow & fast walks, just upped the speed for the fast ones, then upped then tension for the 30 sec runs. What surprised me the most (other than going 40 minutes straight) was that the tension never went lower than 3 and i actually got it up to 7 in a few spots for the free form runs. I've NEVER been able to move the machine at 7 let alone sustain it for any length of time. :drinker: yay me!
    I have to say I'm enjoying the training plan for week 4. I didn't think I would with all the switching up, but i liked it. I could even do this one out in public (gasp!) and not be completely embarrassed :)

Sorry to hear you're feeling sickly Qski. Take care of yourself and get back to training AFTER you're feeling better. Hope it isn't too long.
  • Vaugirard15
    Options
    Qski-- sorry to hear that you are under the weather. Cyn-- great work! There's something special about Week 4, I think… one just starts feeling stronger.

I struggled today and didn't finish Week 7 Workout 2. Stopped about 3 minutes before the end. I did great at the beginning-- 10 min fast walk, 4.5 run of 5 min free form, all 5 runs & skips (total 6.25 min) then walked 2 of 5 min, 2.5/5 min and about 30 seconds of the 2 minutes I did of the last free form. Just nothing left and was feeling a bit light headed. Also, forgot to plug in my phone last night so I turned off the music to make sure I could get to the end of the episode so all I could hear was the birds (nice) and leaf blowers (not nice). Definitely missed the tunes!

So I'll try Week 7 workout 2 again on Tuesday. But, that's okay. At least I got out there today and did what I could-- I've never been this consistent in the past!
  • Vaugirard15
    Options
    Saturday is usually my endurance day but decided to give a Halloween mission a whirl. Walked at a brisk pace with 4 zombie jogs along the way. Put my workout music on shuffle so heard some tunes that I never get to in the 5K. It drizzled the whole way but it was pretty seeing the leaves (southern California still has traces of Fall) and I saw a bunch of guys playing cricket in one of the school yards. Might not seem unusual to Qski but this is the first time I've ever seen cricket in real life (except for the crickets that look like grasshoppers!). I really enjoyed this so I'm very hopeful that once I complete the 5K training (hard to believe that is actually on the horizon!), I'll be able to keep moving with the regular season!

Have a great weekend, my fellow Runner 5s!
  • Qski
    Options
    Hi, sorry about being MIA - am back in form now. My cold didn't last long, almost as if it was about to be a cold and then decided not to stay, so that worked out well. Felt like I hit a motivation slump yesterday but am focussing on trying to ramp that up again too.

I went out on Saturday morning and did my first 5km in a mission (wk4d1) 5.25 km in 55mins + 2mins standing still at the end and forgetting to turn off apps :D I felt pretty weak again, ran a little in the first free form then I found the drills really tough and I was thinking wow these are taking forever (only realised after there were 8 not 5! LOL) that explains that. I felt like I had nothing left and planned not to run at all in the free forms after that, so I didn't stretch, but then I did do a little running in the last free form, not as much as I did the previous mission.

You are both doing so well! @Vaugirard - My family asked me about how I was doing with the training on the weekend and I gave an update but I also told them how excited I get when you talk about your progress - because I repeated a few and didn't feel super optimistic, and then I hear how well you are doing and know that we were doing similar times and that you repeated some too and look at you now. So that really helps me to envision being able to run a little more each time.

@cynforgiven - your progress is a bit different because of the different machines and all that, but I really love how we are all getting into the missions and storyline and chatting on here.

I feel very lucky that I get to read what you have done and share what I am doing
    Thank you xo

PS I did a tough PT session on Friday before my run, and after my mission I went to lay down a bit (I go out early and partner was still asleep) and then I could barely get up a couple of hours later. But I don't mind, I know when it hurts like that we are building muscle and that only means good things for joints and bones and overall awesomeness!
  • Qski
    Options
    I got so gushy yesterday forgot about the cricket :) definitely a usual sight for me I quite like the game particularly one day games. I believe they created 20/20 games to try to appeal more to the US audience I think that makes it like a long baseball game.

I went out again today my PT was upper body work so legs not quite as leaden today, but I only managed 7 of the 8 run drills... I think week 5 is looking like another repeat for me I would like to be able to do more running in the freeforms and finish the drills before I move on. I also tried to add streets to my route not game on doing the school field on a school day, but I went down the wrong street so came up short on distance will know for next time. Did 4.7km I think in about 47 mins yay for number patterns....

Hope you are all well. Will start our new thread when I get to the office on the bus now
  • Vaugirard15
    Options
    Hi, Qski! Glad you are feeling stronger.

I'm glad, too, that we have our little group. It's really helped me to feel like I'm not on my own out there … and I have friends who understand! I look forward to hearing how everyone is doing!

4.7 km is a lot!

cyn-- know you got out and did a run today, too! Saw it in the status updates! Yeah!

I'm out again tomorrow morning. Can't tell what it will be like until I hit that first run (usually a good indication). I am feeling stronger, though, overall -- like in regular, daily stuff and not just the runs. I think my body is moving better. I've been on a "plateau" for a few months now in terms of weight but my body is changing a lot. Cleaned out the closets last weekend and found lots of "new" old clothes (luckily, I'm not very trendy so most of these clothes can still be worn-- even if they are 10 years or older!).

Keep up the great work, Runner 5s! :-)
  • Vaugirard15
    Options
    I can't believe it! I ran for the whole time for every single free-form run! I'm very excited! There are four 5-min free forms plus 5 min of running drills and 75 seconds of skipping. Except for the 10 min brisk walk at the beginning and two 3 min stretch breaks, I ran the whole time (well, wogged, anyway!). And because the first two free forms and the drills don't have a break in between, that means I ran (or skipped) for 16 minutes straight! That 20 minute run in Week 8 is looking a little less intimidating now! ;-)

One thing that helped was taking some advil the night before (as well as charging my iPod), so I think I'm going to do that while the weather is damp in order to keep the arthritis in check. I did it a couple of weeks ago and had a good run that day, too.

Also, ZR is definitely just doing gross calculations on the pace so the "official" pace of 11.04 min/km takes into account the total ZR time and doesn't eliminate the breaks. If I take out the stretch breaks, my pace is actually 9:37 min/km and without the brisk walk it's about 9.17 min/km (i.e. my brisk walk is fast and my wogging is only slightly faster! :-) )

No run on Thursday… will be sitting on a plane all day heading to the east coast for a business trip. Will try to get some workouts in but I'll be walking a ton at the conference, too, so that may have to suffice.

have a good rest of the week, Runner 5s!