Shredded hands

Options
leanna1120
leanna1120 Posts: 21 Member
So after 2 months of cross fit I can finally perform kipping pull ups...actually linking some together. Since moving from the strict version, to the kipping version, I have seriously shredded my hands. Lots of callouses ripped on the middle my palms and base of my fingers palm side as well. Any advice on 1) how to care for ripped hands once they occur and 2) how to prevent them in the first place??? Thank you!!!

Replies

• littlelawson83
    Options
    I saw this on facebook today about this very issue! http://athletichuman.com/hand-care-preventing-the-dreaded-callus-tear/
  • alysa521
    alysa521 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Make sure you take care of your calluses so they are smoth and don't rip. I use a ped-egg to shave them down.
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    yep! keep em filed down good... also wash your hands right after the wod to get the drying chalk off and slap on some moisturizer as soon as possible.

wait till you get kipping t2b. hand killer :)
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    wait till you get kipping t2b. hand killer :)
    [/quote]

Yep-T2B is worse.
    Either buy some hand grips (Jaw / Natural Grips) or learn how to properly tape your hands. Google Jason Kalipia hand tape and there is a video on how he tapes them and it works well but you will also need to keep them shaved down.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I already had major calluses when I started CF a month ago because I have been doing pole dance for almost a year. I have to keep my calluses for pole. I use a product called "Dry Hands" that you can buy online that really helped me avoid some of the issues caused by sweat on metal. It's a gel. I don't get rips anymore but I still have calluses.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Mine aren't too bad yet, but I will sit watching TV with an emery board and fill down the bumps on my fingers.
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    pummis stone, every time you shower, sand down your calluses a little bit, this will help prevent them from ripping. If they are already ripped, try taping your hands up a bit or gloves maybe?
  • leanna1120
    leanna1120 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the suggestions! :happy: