Red team week 5

Options
77chantelle
77chantelle Posts: 112 Member
Hi,lets rock week 5. Any ideas for our group meal?

Replies

• Aprilstar480
    Aprilstar480 Posts: 2,910 Member
    Options
    I'll preface this by stating I havent watched the show yet, just am going by a summary I read - and it seems like something fairly shocking happened last night!

Week four definitely showed some improvement for alot of people! We had some teams where everyone lost at least 1% and several people who lost over 5 pounds! As a group we have lost a total of 183 pounds since the start, 44 pounds just last week and EVERY TEAM has a positive percentage lost this week. Nice work guys, lets see if we cant keep it up this week too!

I apologize for not posting more over the weekend but i was gone friday afternoon-monday afternoon and the house didnt have internet. I did do a little browsing this morning in some of the threads and saw a couple things that were interesting regarding the challenge. Here are a couple :

"i'm going to a restaurant tomorrow night to celebrate a friend's birthday & figured i'd have a piece of chocolate cake... however i already put it in my diary because i wanted to see how much i'd need to work off and it's over a 1000 cals (!!!!!!) for a slice of their chocolate cake.... and since i don't want to work off 1000 cals, figure i'll either opt not to have it or just have a couple bites of it. what i find interesting is that if i didn't look it up ahead of time, i would've just eaten the entire piece (i'm sure) having no idea how many calories (& empty ones at that) i was putting into my body so know that i know, i can make a more informed choice tomorrow night"

"I never logged my alcohol. I stated logging it. Wow, lots if calories Yikes! "

"Wow did not know that 1 cookie could have so many calories!!!!! "

Several people decided to avoid foods that are "bad" when realizing how many calories there are, others found that they pushed a little harder to get an extra calorie burn in, and others really struggled with it. I think alot of people learned something from it though and hope that will continue!

This weeks biggest loser is Katonaroof from the Purple team, and the Blue team was the bean highest BL. Team winners are:

Red: Jamiegephart
    Orange: mentalmunchie
    Yellow: Progressnotperfection84
    Green: jessecpwrs
    Blue: Justformel
    Purple: katonaroof

I just wanted to reiterate that every team this week had an overall loss for the week, even with some teams having 1% penalties for some late players. That is a great step in the right direction. If you're like me and gained this past week or just arent seeing a change on the scale yet, try not to get frustrated or discouraged. Please let me know if there is something I can do to help motivate the group. I want us all to be successful!

And as a side note I want to give a shout out to jessecpwrs who had a goal to lose 100 lbs before her anniversary and she reached that this week!

Last night's challenge was to come up with a healthful, kid-friendly meal that uses lots of fresh fruit and vegetables. While all three teams came up with tasty choices, the blue team won with its Backyard Quesadillas and Fiesta Fruit Salad. Our challenge this week is to post a healthy recipe for others to try here. It can be one youve done for years, or one you just googled on the internet 5 minutes ago. It must however contain fruits and/ or vegetables, must be a complete recipe with all instructions, and you must include the nutrition facts of at least calories and fat, but more if you know them. Please post your recipes here

Additionally I'd like each team to come up with a meal and PM it to me by tomorrow evening at the latest. I will then post a new thread with all of the meals and not tell you which team came up with each. You can then comment on the thread with the meal you want to win. Each team that gets me their meal by 8pm EST tomorrow night will each receive 2 bonus points and the team that wins the vote will get 5 bonus points. The meal itself must contain a starter(appetizer), a main course, at least one side, and a dessert and must be below 1000 calories. Discuss within your team thread until you are satisfied with the components of your meal and then the coaches (or whatever representative you choose) will need to send me the information for the meal. Please message it to me in a format like this

Starter: house salad with dressing (300 cals)
    Main course: Baked chicken breast (235 cals)
    Side dish: steamed broccoli (60 calories)
    dessert: fresh berries (80 calories)
    total for meal: 675 calories

House salad
    mix in a large bowl the following:
    2 cups iceburg lettuce
    1 cucumber, sliced
    ...etc

Baked chicken
    preheat oven to 350
    trim fat off a 4 oz chicken breast
    top with cracked pepper
    bake for 30 minutes
    ....etc

basically all recipes, both for the individual challenge and the team challenge must be able to be followed if someone wants to. This is always a favorite challenge as alot of us get some great new recipes to try. Remember to include any spices, oils, butter, etc when posting your recipes and try to include as many fresh ingredients (ie less processed items) as possible. Get creative (my example meal is super boring) and try to make it something healthy that you would enjoy eating. The meal contest will be judged on calories, creativity, and how delicious it sounds!

****Challenge summary*****
    1) post in the main week 5 thread a full recipe (all directions and include nutrition information) that includes fruit and/or vegetables
    2) consult with your team to create a full meal (starter, main dish, side, dessert) under 1000 calories and submit one meal as a team through PM to soccerella by 8 PM EST thursday
    3) Teams meals will be posted anonymously and voting will take place for best meal (based on calories, creativity, appeal, etc)
    4) you do not HAVE to vote to get credit this week, challenge completion is based on posting your recipe correctly in the week 5 thread

coaches you do not need to keep track of challenge completions this week - ill be doing it as we go along. Why? This is one people always cheat at! Its so silly but I always have at least one person say they completed this challenge but never posted a recipe. Remember I can see this thread and check up on you! It would be helpful to record them on your team spreadsheets to make sure I didnt miss anything, but remember its going off what is posted in the main thread, not your team ones.

Do you guys want a physical challenge this week? I know people really like having a physical challenge to add to workouts, but since I havent seen the show yet I dont have any idea of fun workouts they may have done so if you have a suggestion for an optional physical challenge feel free to post it here

Lastly I know I'm behind on the points in the main spreadsheet but I'll update this afternoon or tomorrow!
  • Aprilstar480
    Options
    no-bake-cheesecake.jpg

No Bake Cheese Cake

222 Calories, 17 grams Sugar, 6 grams Fat

Whip 1 package LOW FAT CREAM CHEESE with 1/4 cup SUGAR and 1tsp VANILLA. Fold in 1 tub LOW FAT COOL WHIP. Pour into GRAHM CRACKER PIE CRUST. Chill in the fridge for an hour. Top with FRESH BERRIES if desired *note this will raise the sugar content*

I'm pretty sure you could lower the sugar content in the crust if you make it yourself instead of buying it premade
  • Aprilstar480
    Options
    Appetizer: Tortilla Veggie Pizza

AccidentalPizza.jpg

Approximately 115 Calories, 3 grams fat for half the pizza * Will vary with the different veggies used

Spread 2tbsp MARINIA on a 10in LOW FAT WHEAT TORTILLA. Sprinkle with REDUCED FAT ITALIAN BLEND CHEESE. Top with any veggies you desire (my kids like pineapple, spinach, and olives). Bake at 300 degrees for about 10 to 15 minutes or until the shell is crispy.
  • Aprilstar480
    Options
    I think my kids might eat this! Cheese and Bread Crumbs might just be the trick:bigsmile:

Garlic Roasted Cauliflower with Toasted Asiago Bread Crumbs
    Skinnytaste.com
    Servings: 6 • Size: 1 cup • Old Points: 3 pts • Points+: 3 pt
    Calories: 130 • Fat: 7.5 g • Carb: 11.5 g • Fiber: 3 g • Protein: 5 g • Sugar: 0.5 g
    Sodium: 191 mg (without salt)
    Ingredients:
    •1 (1 1/2 lb) head of cauliflower, cut into florets (about 6 heaping cups)
    •5 - 6 cloves garlic, smashed
    •2 tbsp olive oil
    •salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste

For the topping:
    •1 tbsp olive oil
    •1 small onion, finely diced
    •1 large clove garlic, crushed
    •1/3 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
    •2 tbsp shredded Asiago cheese
    •1 tsp fresh thyme (or fresh herb of your choice)

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 450°F. Place the cauliflower and garlic on a large baking sheet and toss with the oil, salt, and pepper. Bake until tender and browned, about 22 - 25 minutes, tossing every 6-8 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat a medium-sized skillet over medium heat. Add the oil, then the onion and sauté about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and sauté until the onions become golden brown. Reduce heat to low, add breadcrumbs; sauté until the breadcrumbs are light golden brown, about 3 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently, careful not to burn. Turn off heat and stir in the thyme. When cool, add asiago cheese.

When the cauliflower is ready, remove from oven and top with the toasted bread crumbs.
  • Aprilstar480
    Options
    Citrus Chicken

Ingredients

½ cup chicken broth
    packet (1 ounce) 1 Hidden Valley® Original Ranch® Salad Dressing & Seasoning Mix
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    3 tablespoons orange marmalade
    4 boneless,skinless chicken breast,halves

Directions

Main Dish
    Heat the oil in a medium skillet. Add the chicken breasts and cook until brown on both sides.
    In a small bowl, mix the seasoning mix, broth and marmalade, and stir until smooth.
    Pour the liquid into the skillet with the chicken. Reduce the heat and continue to cook until most of the liquid has reduced, chicken is nicely glazed, and an internal temperature of 165°F is reached.
    Serve immediately.

142 Calories, 6 grams fat, 620 sodium

I serve this over rice and you can add veggies too it also... I think I put broccoli in it before but I can't remember... I know it was green:bigsmile: I really wish I had a picture of this one, its a pretty dish.
  • 77chantelle
    Options
    Thanks aprilstar, i have cauliflower in my fridge, i will try that one sometimes this week.
  • 77chantelle
    Options
    From sinnytaste.com

starter

Butternut Squash Soup with Sage
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 6 • Serving Size: about 1 1/3 cups • Old Points: 1 pt • Points+: 1 pt
    Calories: 56.2 • Fat: 0.3 g • Protein: 2.6 g • Carb: 11.4 g • Fiber: 2.6 g

1 butternut squash, about 2 cups cubed
    1 carrot, peeled
    1 small onion, chopped
    1 celery rib, chopped
    6 cups fat free chicken or vegetable broth
    2 garlic cloves, halved
    4 sage leaves
    1/2 cup 1% milk

salt and freshly ground pepper

Peel the squash and remove the seeds. Cut into medium size cubes.*
    In a large heavy pot, combine squash, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, sage and broth and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer on low heat for about 40 minutes, until squash is tender.
    Discard the sage and using an immersion blender, puree the soup. Add milk and adjust the salt and pepper to taste and serve. Great topped with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.

* The easiest way to peel butternut squash is to first cut the top and bottom off the squash. Then cut the squash length wise
  • 77chantelle
    Options
    From skinnytaste.com
    side

Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
    Skinnytaste.com
    Servings: 6 • Size: 1 generous cup • Old Points: 3 • Weight Watcher Points+: 5 pt
    Calories: 145.5 • Fat: 8 g • Carb: 15.5 g • Fiber: 2.5 g • Protein: 4.3 g • Sugar: 0 g
    Sodium: 137 mg (without the salt) • Cholest: 7.4 mg

Ingredients:

1 cup uncooked quinoa
    2 cups water
    1/4 cup red onion, diced
    1/2 - 3/4 lemon, squeezed
    1/4 cup (about 10) kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
    2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    2 cups cucumber, peeled and diced (from 1 English)
    1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
    1/3 cup crumbled feta
    salt and fresh pepper, to taste

Directions:

Rinse quinoa for about 2 minutes, using your hands to make sure all the saponins are removed
    Fill a medium pot with water, add quinoa and salt to taste and bring to a boil. When the water boils, reduce heat to low and cover; simmer covered 15 minutes. Remove from heat and keep cover While the quinoa cools, dice all the vegetables. Add the red onion, olives, cucumber, tomatoes to the cooled quinoa, and squeeze 1/2 lemon over it and additional 5 minutes without lifting the lid; then fluff with a fork and set aside in a large mixing bowl to cool
    Drizzle the olive oil over the quinoa, then add feta, salt and pepper to taste and toss well. Taste for salt and adjust as needed, add more lemon juice if needed
  • 77chantelle
    Options
    HI, does anyone else have any ideas? Please post soon, maybe by two today so we can put it together by five. I will be swamped after 4 so please add your input soon.
  • Aprilstar480
    Options
    I like your starter. Here is my vote so far. Where is everyone? It's kinda hard to choose a Side and Main dish without determining one or the other first so they complement each other.

Starter: Butternut Squash Soup with Sage (56 cals)
    Main course:
    Side dish:
    dessert:
    total for meal: ??? calories
  • worsleys13
    worsleys13 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hope i'm not too late.

SPINACH AND MOZZARELLA EGG BAKE

Ingredients:
    Nonstick cooking spray
    1 to 2 teaspoons olive oil
    4 packed cups spinach
    1 1/2 cups shredded low-fat mozzarella
    1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
    8 eggs, beaten
    1 teaspoon Spike seasoning (or any all-purpose seasoning mix that's good with eggs)
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Directions:
    1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray an 8 1/2-by-12-inch glass or crockery casserole dish with olive oil or nonstick spray. Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat, add spinach, and stir just until wilted, about 2 minutes. Transfer spinach to the casserole dish, spreading it around so the bottom of the dish is covered. Layer cheese and sliced onions on top of spinach.
    2. Beat eggs with seasoning, salt, and pepper, and pour into the casserole dish. Use a fork to gently stir so eggs, spinach, and cheese are evenly combined.
    3. Bake about 35 minutes or until mixture is completely set and starting to lightly brown. Let cool about 5 minutes before cutting and serving. (The dish will settle down some as it cools.)

Nutrition score per serving: 160 calories, 10g fat, 2.5g carbs, 14g protein

Im a big fan of chicken so i would vote the Citrus Chicken for main meal
  • 77chantelle
    Options
    Ok starter soup
    Main meal chicken
    Side ? Spinach egg bake ?
    Dessert cheesecake?
  • health1971
    Options
    Hi ladies,

I'm sorry for not being able to post earlier, I have been without internet until now :explode: ...

For a side dish: Watermelon and Feta Salad

Servings: 4 - Size 1/4 of salad - Old Points: 4 pts - Points+: 4 pts-Calories: 157.4 - Fat: 11.4g - Carb: 11.1 g - Fiber: 1g - Protein: 4 g - Sugar: 8.9 g - Sodium: 219.6 mg (without salt)...

Ingredients:

* 3 cups seedless watermelon, cubed and chilled
    * 1/2 cup crumbled feta
    * 7 oz arugula
    * 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
    * 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    * kosher salt and fresh pepper

Directions:

Wash arugula and dry well. In a large bowl whisk vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss with the remaining ingredients and serve.
  • Aprilstar480
    Options
    Crap, sorry I forgot to check back in. Did you get the menu sent?
  • Aprilstar480
    Options
    She doesn't have it posted... How does this look?

Main course: Citrus Chicken (142 cals)
    Side dish: Watermelon and Feta Salad (157 cals)
    Dessert: Low Fat No Bake Cheesecake (222)
    total for meal: 577 calories
  • worsleys13
    worsleys13 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    i'm happy with that
  • 77chantelle
    Options
    Great
  • 77chantelle
    Options
    Main course: Citrus Chicken (142 cals)
    Side dish: Watermelon and Feta Salad (157 cals)
    Dessert: Low Fat No Bake Cheesecake (222)
    total for meal: 577 calories
    From sinnytaste.com
    starter

Butternut Squash Soup with Sage
    Servings: 6 • Serving Size: about 1 1/3 cups • Old Points: 1 pt • Points+: 1 pt
    Calories: 56.2 • Fat: 0.3 g • Protein: 2.6 g • Carb: 11.4 g • Fiber: 2.6 g

1 butternut squash, about 2 cups cubed
    1 carrot, peeled
    1 small onion, chopped
    1 celery rib, chopped
    6 cups fat free chicken or vegetable broth
    2 garlic cloves, halved
    4 sage leaves
    1/2 cup 1% milk

salt and freshly ground pepper

Peel the squash and remove the seeds. Cut into medium size cubes.*
    In a large heavy pot, combine squash, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, sage and broth and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer on low heat for about 40 minutes, until squash is tender.
    Discard the sage and using an immersion blender, puree the soup. Add milk and adjust the salt and pepper to taste and serve. Great topped with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.

* The easiest way to peel butternut squash is to first cut the top and bottom off the squash. Then cut the squash length wise
    Citrus Chicken

Ingredients

½ cup chicken broth
    packet (1 ounce) 1 Hidden Valley® Original Ranch® Salad Dressing & Seasoning Mix
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    3 tablespoons orange marmalade
    4 boneless,skinless chicken breast,halves

Directions

Main Dish
    Heat the oil in a medium skillet. Add the chicken breasts and cook until brown on both sides.
    In a small bowl, mix the seasoning mix, broth and marmalade, and stir until smooth.
    Pour the liquid into the skillet with the chicken. Reduce the heat and continue to cook until most of the liquid has reduced, chicken is nicely glazed, and an internal temperature of 165°F is reached.
    Serve immediately.

142 Calories, 6 grams fat, 620 sodium
    For a side dish: Watermelon and Feta Salad

Servings: 4 - Size 1/4 of salad - Old Points: 4 pts - Points+: 4 pts-Calories: 157.4 - Fat: 11.4g - Carb: 11.1 g - Fiber: 1g - Protein: 4 g - Sugar: 8.9 g - Sodium: 219.6 mg (without salt)...

Ingredients:

* 3 cups seedless watermelon, cubed and chilled
    * 1/2 cup crumbled feta
    * 7 oz arugula
    * 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
    * 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    * kosher salt and fresh pepper

Directions:

Wash arugula and dry well. In a large bowl whisk vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss with the remaining in

No Bake Cheese Cake

222 Calories, 17 grams Sugar, 6 grams Fat

Whip 1 package LOW FAT CREAM CHEESE with 1/4 cup SUGAR and 1tsp VANILLA. Fold in 1 tub LOW FAT COOL WHIP. Pour into GRAHM CRACKER PIE CRUST. Chill in the fridge for an hour. Top with FRESH BERRIES if desired *note this will raise the sugar content*

I'm pretty sure you could lower the sugar content in the crust if you make it yourself instead of buying it premade ingredients and serve
  • 77chantelle
    Options
    I guess we were too late. Challenge leader didnt post on thread :-(
  • Neisha2014
    Neisha2014 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i don't cook lol i stay in a dorm