Do you have a budget for your races?

Options
I am curious to find out if some of you set a budget for your races? Meaning at the beginning of the year you set an amount on how much you are going to spend for races that year? or do you just go with it and register as you see a race coming?

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    No budget here. I just pick a race and sign up.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I just go with it and register as I see a race coming.
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Nope, I just sign up for whatever race I want to run.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    No budget. However, I do try to plan my races out in advance so I can register early when the fees are lower.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    No budget. However, I do try to plan my races out in advance so I can register early when the fees are lower.

See that makes sense, I have also used some discount codes to lower the price a bit.
  • julie_emma1
    Options

This :-)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    No budget. I will register early on for the races I know I want to do. I figure I could be blowing the money on 8-balls and hookers, but races are a lot more rewarding.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    No budget. I will register early on for the races I know I want to do. I figure I could be blowing the money on 8-balls and hookers, but races are a lot more rewarding.

LOL!! Doug well put
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I register for races until my financial manager (wife) tells me to stop.
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Funny, I think more about schedule and time budget than $ budget. But then I run longer races and like to have at least a month off in between. I will typically run one a month in March, April, May, June, and July and sometimes August. The early runs are usually shorter and function as training races for the longer races later in the season. By August I am usually so cumulatively tired that I need a break.

I have a really hard time paying $$ for a race shorter than a 50k, although I do it occasionally. I'm kind of cheap that way :-)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I've planned out 4-5 races a year to keep me motivated. I'm not sure how that will play out when I get more experience, but it seems like a good plan for now.
  • ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I should :)

Seriously though: finances do weigh into decisions. I do try to sign up early for races before they increase rates. And I do focus more on races that are within driving distances to save motel costs.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I don't. I figure it's better than spending money on booze and going out to eat all the time. :-)

Plus it's extra incentive to go through with the training and commitment, because I don't like wasting registration fees.
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I guess I should! It adds up. But seriously, many are for charities and I figure I could spend it on worse things. I try to plan ahead as to avoid the late fees.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I am curious to find out if some of you set a budget for your races? Meaning at the beginning of the year you set an amount on how much you are going to spend for races that year? or do you just go with it and register as you see a race coming?

If there is a race that I want to do and I can get the time off work, I will just sign up.

The most I have paid for one race is £41 (just over $65).

Some people spend their money on clothes, beauty treatments, drink, meals out, theatre etc, I spend mine on races hence why I do not feel guilty at forking out.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    There are races that I haven't signed up for (or lotteries I haven't entered) because I either think they're too expensive or the ancillary costs of travel & lodging are too expensive. I also try to register early for races to save money. Luckily there are lots of close races that I can simply drive to; it looks like in 2014, there will potentially be two marathons that will require at least one night in a hotel. I've signed up for a half marathon (I'm doing it during my marathon taper, so it's more for 'fun') - that one is in Santa Cruz and because the kids LOVE going to Santa Cruz, we're just going to make a little mini family trip out of it. I could have easily just driven in though like I did last year. If money were no object, I'd probably sign up for a lot more events. I enjoy the atmosphere and the bling :-)
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    I register for races until my financial manager (wife) tells me to stop.

LOL!! Love it, see I am the financial manager here so I guess I can keep going :)
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    I've planned out 4-5 races a year to keep me motivated. I'm not sure how that will play out when I get more experience, but it seems like a good plan for now.

I already planned my races for next year, one of those is already paid for so we will see how the other play out
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    I guess I should! It adds up. But seriously, many are for charities and I figure I could spend it on worse things. I try to plan ahead as to avoid the late fees.

Yeah I also try to register early to avoid the fees going up and I also try to find discount codes.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options

If there is a race that I want to do and I can get the time off work, I will just sign up.

The most I have paid for one race is £41 (just over $65).

Some people spend their money on clothes, beauty treatments, drink, meals out, theatre etc, I spend mine on races hence why I do not feel guilty at forking out.

That is so true that you say that, when I have to sign up for a race I do not think twice about spending the money, but when it comes to buying something else I think twice about it LOL!!!