Chronic Pain & Exercise

Options
Pain! just a small word for a such a big meaning. so many of us suffer from chronic pain, me due to fibromyalgia, others due to different reasons it doesn't matter which, pain is always pain.
There's a few things we all can do to reduce the level of pain we can feel. We must release endorphins! - Those brain chemicals that lift mood and block pain.
Don't start doing exercises on your own without talking with hyour doctor, what might be good for some might not be the ideal for you.
There are some things you can do to relief your pain:

- Easy aerobic
- Muscle strengthening
- Stretching exercises
- Tai-Chi
- Walking
- Biking
- Hiking
- Swimming
- Meditation ,Yoga or Breathing exercises
- Eat a well-balanced diet ( whole grains, veggies, fruits, low fat proteins, Omega 3)
- Take Vitamins & supplements such as Magnesium, Glucosamine, Vitamin B12, vitamin D, etc
- Keep a pain journal - level of pain and triggers. This will help you to find out what is making your pain worse.
- Acupuncture or Massage
- Relaxation therapy & Music Therapy
- Reduce stress
- Dance
- Gardening

Don't forget also that most of the times what we eat can increase our pain levels. In my specific case I've learned that I can't eat so many food - cheese, pasta, red meat, beans, and so on but I only know this because I kept a food journal for several months. This was the only way to find out which food was causing me more pain.

Replies

• jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Hi new member here :) and this so true....I suffer from chronic lyme disease and nerve damage from shingles......But since Ive started exercising again and doing yoga again Im feeling better....This time of year is bad on my hips the colder it gets the worse the pain is and alot of the times the pain gets so bad I dont want to move at all and just cry
  • necee99
    Options
    Hi new member here :) and this so true....I suffer from chronic lyme disease and nerve damage from shingles......But since Ive started exercising again and doing yoga again Im feeling better....This time of year is bad on my hips the colder it gets the worse the pain is and alot of the times the pain gets so bad I dont want to move at all and just cry

I totally feel you on those times where you can't do anything but cry sometimes, when the pain is unbearable.
  • necee99
    Options
    There is sooooo much involved in living with chronic pain in my life. Everyone says moving, staying active, exercise makes it better. Well there must be something terribly wrong with me. Every workout is a battle; before, during, and especially after. Before- pep talk to move your bones, while they ache every minute. During- shortness of breath, feel dizzy, stiffness. After- ohhhhh, the pain up to 2 or 3 days worth, soreness, stiffness.

I have consistently been working out, doing everything right, stretching, stopping when i can't go any longer, but it has not gotten too much better. The only thing that keeps me going is my goal of losing the lbs to feel better about myself. and the support i get on mfp. I just keep my eyes focused on that light at the end of the tunnel and hope i reach my goals and am able to keep it off this time.

I have learned to take one day at a time and not keep saying why me.... The battle is mine. I control my body. I am trying not to let my body control me.

As for the eating/diet that is another beast of it's own. lol.
    I do have trigger foods that make me feel worse, but like any addiction, its a fight to Just Say No! lol. I make choices everyday... do you want to be in pain tomorrow or eat this pizza today for 10 minutes of pleasure? Mmmmmmm..... Decisions, Decisions. :tongue:
  • Charalena1982
    Options
    Hi everyone, am new to MFP but I did find this group and thought wow, I suffer from Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. I have had surgery 6 months ago but unfortunately this was not successful. I am trying to find good exercises that won't affect my arms, neck, shoulders or upper back. I am unable to lift my arms up or swing them around or hold heavy things so is quite difficult sometimes. Any ideas would be so much appreciated.

Charlie
  • EvaW1977
    EvaW1977 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I signed up in October to the sight, but haven't really made an effort to try and lose weight. I have been so busy going back and forth to the doctor, not only for me but for my kids as well. I have neglected the part where I want to get to a healthier weight. But I tend to stick with it now. I have many days of pain due to having TRAPS, Osteoarthritis, and Fibromyalgia.
  • kimlb44
    kimlb44 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi Newbie here! I have hypermobility and fibromyalgia with depressions. Had a double spinal fusion a year ago and am better than I was, but pain is constant. It is more than the pain it is the constant nagging, especially in my back and hips that tires me out. There are days when I can't get comfortable and nights are difficult. I only take strong pain relief when I have to, the one thing I have been told is to lose weight, I have now lost 11 lbs so am on my way but not everyone understands the pain and weight and eating concept. Comfort sometimes is eating. Anyone else feel that way?
  • Vivian06703188
    Vivian06703188 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Hi Newbie here! I have hypermobility and fibromyalgia with depressions. Had a double spinal fusion a year ago and am better than I was, but pain is constant. It is more than the pain it is the constant nagging, especially in my back and hips that tires me out. There are days when I can't get comfortable and nights are difficult. I only take strong pain relief when I have to, the one thing I have been told is to lose weight, I have now lost 11 lbs so am on my way but not everyone understands the pain and weight and eating concept. Comfort sometimes is eating. Anyone else feel that way?

I understand eating as a way of comfort. I had an accident in 2010 where I broke my back in two places. In additions I have osteoarthritis, herniated and bulging disc and other sever back pain with nerve damage in rear end, legs and feet. While I was in severe pain and unable to do anything I turned to food and gained a ton of weight. Not realizing I was adding to my pain discomfort and immobility. There are days when everything is so overwhelming and the pain is intolerable. I have learned with my pain medication and closely monitoring my activity to be able to balance my pain level to some degree. It doesn't take much to throw it out of whack but within a few days I can usually get back on tract. I started my weight loss journey in June of this year and have at this point lost 42 pounds. I am very happy with my current weight loss even though I am on a lifelong journey hopefully to better pain control as well as mobility.

I am currently distressed because 3 days ago I have had a large mass develop on my back on my right shoulder blade. It is approximately the size of a golf ball in circumference and raised about a quarter inch or slightly more. It is painful and seems to have some radiating quality to it. I am also having an upset stomach and am not sleeping well. I have dark circles under my eyes and look like hell. I am frightened. I have called my doctor twice but have not gotten a return call. I will be calling again this morning. Has anyone here ever had anything like this? I just want this to be okay. I want to be seen and told this is not life threatening but I'm not having much luck getting in to the doctor. For the last two months it has been itching like crazy so my regular doctor sent me to the dermatologist. The dermatologist said it was an idiopathic neuropathy (unknown nerve pain). This made sense to me because of my back issues. But when this growth showed up that ruled out that diagnosis. Any ideas?
  • jennegan1
    Options
    Necee have you tried doing yoga? And what type of work outs are you doing? And kimlb44 I know what you mean I only take otc at night time, some ibuprofin and some tylenol.....If not ill wake up in pain constantly or wake up in pain and not be able to move much the next day cuz ill be too stiff then Ill have to take meds early in the day I dont like to unless its needed much rather save it for the night time so I can sleep better
  • necee99
    Options
    Hi everyone, am new to MFP but I did find this group and thought wow, I suffer from Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. I have had surgery 6 months ago but unfortunately this was not successful. I am trying to find good exercises that won't affect my arms, neck, shoulders or upper back. I am unable to lift my arms up or swing them around or hold heavy things so is quite difficult sometimes. Any ideas would be so much appreciated.

Charlie

maybe you can try walking without swinging your arms... i also do some chair exercise videos that i found at sparkpeople.com or youtube. you can do them without the arm movement and just work your legs and torso in the chair. i hope this helps. :flowerforyou:
  • necee99
    Options

yes. yes. yes. i feel everything you are saying. it is a constant battle... i just realized this is going to be my battle for the rest of my life. fibro, eating, pain, etc.
  • necee99
    Options
    Necee have you tried doing yoga? And what type of work outs are you doing? And kimlb44 I know what you mean I only take otc at night time, some ibuprofin and some tylenol.....If not ill wake up in pain constantly or wake up in pain and not be able to move much the next day cuz ill be too stiff then Ill have to take meds early in the day I dont like to unless its needed much rather save it for the night time so I can sleep better

no, yoga is not for me... i usually walk on treadmill, but lately i have been doing leslie sansone walk at home videos instead of the treadmill. the treadmill tends to be harder on my joints than leslie's video. then i do some stretches afterwards, which keeps me from being as sore later, but while i am doing it it's still very hard.
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options

yes. yes. yes. i feel everything you are saying. it is a constant battle... i just realized this is going to be my battle for the rest of my life. fibro, eating, pain, etc.

And you are not alone. I have been battling this particular demon for many decades.
  • jennegan1
    Options
    Yoga helps with stretching and joint and muscle pain especially from work outs, try it it might make you feel better
  • michelleb253
    michelleb253 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi My name is Michelle and I am a member of your group. I would like to ask that anyone interested please add me as a friend. My pain is chronic from the middle of my back down my left leg and into my toes. Some-days walking is a feat and it triggers more pain and discomfort. I am trying to find support for my pain issues as well as my weight loss. Thank You all, Michelle
  • michelleb253
    michelleb253 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with you. I am told almost every morning that I woke my room-mates up with my crying and moaning in my sleep. I am going to be trying yoga and low impact exercises. Any advice?
  • necee99
    Options
    I completely agree with you. I am told almost every morning that I woke my room-mates up with my crying and moaning in my sleep. I am going to be trying yoga and low impact exercises. Any advice?

that's it.... low impact. I love the walk at home videos by leslie sansone. i can tailor them to my level and still get a great workout.
    my advice is- never over do it....
    I try to push myself sometimes and do just 5 mins or so of exercise, but on those bad days if i over do it and try to do more, i cause more harm than good. i always tell myself that i could at least do 5 minutes or so.
  • necee99
    Options
    Hi My name is Michelle and I am a member of your group. I would like to ask that anyone interested please add me as a friend. My pain is chronic from the middle of my back down my left leg and into my toes. Some-days walking is a feat and it triggers more pain and discomfort. I am trying to find support for my pain issues as well as my weight loss. Thank You all, Michelle

You can do it Michelle... We can do it together!!! let's not let pain rule our lives. Let's get healthy first and hurt later... LOL :laugh:
  • ShellDP
    ShellDP Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    HI, I’m Shelli. Low impact is the only way I can manage to get in any exercise. I have fibro, scoliosis and some other issues so pain, especially low back pain, is always something I am trying to keep from flaring up. I’ve found that yoga done very slowly and at home, where I can decide for myself which poses to do is useful. There are certain poses, like forward folds (touching your toes), that just put way too much pressure on the back and leave me in agony, so I avoid going to classes where those types of moves are always included. I’ve also found that exercising in the evening so that I can go to bed afterwards works best. Working out early in the day leaves me in too much pain and I can’t function; the rest of the day is pretty much wasted at that point.

Has anyone tried Pilates? I’m thinking that trying to build some core strength might help with back pain (and maybe the muffin top a little bit too). Are there any good, really slow videos?
  • bhsishtla
    bhsishtla Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hi I am Bhavani. I am new to this forum.I am suffering from fibro, I think it is genetic for me,cuz my dad has it.

I have ruptured disc, and sciatica from past 12+ years.Due to some nerve damage I have developed fibro.

I can do only walking as exercise. Due to my hysterectomy and some hormonal issues I am always fatigued and tired.
    I cannot enjoy vacations with family, even to outlet mall is big shhhhhh..for me.

I am on a mission to improve my health.So the first step is weight loss.So far so good,I can say the scale is showing some results.
    I tried yoga,it gives good relaxation, but not that good for weight loss.
  • necee99
    Options
    HI, I’m Shelli. Low impact is the only way I can manage to get in any exercise. I have fibro, scoliosis and some other issues so pain, especially low back pain, is always something I am trying to keep from flaring up. I’ve found that yoga done very slowly and at home, where I can decide for myself which poses to do is useful. There are certain poses, like forward folds (touching your toes), that just put way too much pressure on the back and leave me in agony, so I avoid going to classes where those types of moves are always included. I’ve also found that exercising in the evening so that I can go to bed afterwards works best. Working out early in the day leaves me in too much pain and I can’t function; the rest of the day is pretty much wasted at that point.

Has anyone tried Pilates? I’m thinking that trying to build some core strength might help with back pain (and maybe the muffin top a little bit too). Are there any good, really slow videos?

I am totally an evening exerciser also. that mourning or afternoon workout leaves me in pain and exhaustion where i can't do anything else also. Sparkpeople.com has some good videos i use often. i don't use them to count my calories, of course, I love it here at mfp. but i like their video and advice sections.