From Band to Sleeve

Options
Hi everyone
Not sure if I am posting in the right section but someone can point me in the right direction if I am not.
My name is Leanne and I was banded in November 09 and lost around 45kg
In that time I had 3 new ports replaced so was back and forwards for operations and I never really found that I was completely satisfied when it came to meal times except the first week or so after a fill.
For some reason I started to get really really hungry and had to work extra extra hard at not eating and I never felt full.
I also started getting a lot of heartburn so they let the fill out in my band.
Gained back 30kg in 6 months and now I am booked in for revision surgery.
I will be getting my band out end of November and then waiting 3 months, then getting the sleeve done.
I am not sure if any of you have had or know about the lap band but I am just wondering what it is like having the sleeve and what foods you are able to eat etc.
I am hoping it will go a lot smoother for me than the band did
Any advice would be fantastic!
Nervous and hopeful :smile:

Replies

• pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I looked at all 5 of the surgeries before deciding on the gastric sleeve. I know a lot about the band, but not from personal experience. I was sleeved July 2011 and at my biggest, weighed 386 pounds.

Based on friends I have who were banded, I think you will find the sleeve easier. I really only have a very few things my tummy no longer likes and those were easy to either give up or work around. If done right, your sleeve removes the stretchy part of your stomach, so the only restriction is that it fills up fast and there is no where for the "extra" amount to go is you over eat. For me that means the "extra" comes back up. Not the whole meal, just the extra.

What can't I eat? I have acid reflux so I've found I can't tolerate red sauce, as in marinara or spagetti sauce. Causes horrible heartburn. And my tummy no longer likes my coffee black. I drank it that way for years, now I have to have at least a little cream. Other than that, I can eat what I want. And that's what makes this, in my opinion, a better solution. I have to make the choice daily to follow a food plan, count my calories and exercise. If I don't do those things the weight stops coming off and it's entirely too possible to regain.

The best advice I can give you is follow your doctor's plan and counsel. Our doctor's are the experts. You've also found a great group of supportive people here on MFP. Lots of good advice, support, and suggestions. And one more thing, everyone's walk on this journey is slightly different. Each doctor does things a little differently. So don't compare what you are doing or not doing to someone else too much. You will find different people at the same stage eating different amounts in calories or protein. We are all on the same journey, but in slightly different ways.

Good luck!
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You will be sleeved, so this is the right place.

There are actually a lot of people who had the band and then get a revision to the sleeve. I've read comments about how they love their new sleeve and say it acts like the band should if it actually worked.

The doctors at the hospital system where I was sleeved try to steer their patients away from the lap band, and one of the three of them will not even do it anymore. There are so many complications, and other things that make it a problem.

BTW - I am newly sleeved (three weeks out) and am so happy I finally decided to have WLS!
  • steveelea
    Options
    Thanks so much pawoodhull and losingsarah
    I am so happy for you sarah that you have been happy with your decision to get the band and so soon after surgery.
    I know from my lap band surgeries (lap band and 3 port revisions) that the surgery is hard work but worth it!

Wow pawoodhull you have lost so much weight!!!!
    I am 140kg (308 pounds) and would like to get down to 70kg (154 pounds maybe less) but would be happy with anything under 100kg (220 pounds) right now.
    Its inspiring to see that you have lost so much as my surgeon said that realisticly I could expect to get down to about 90kg (198 pounds) with the sleeve but I am hoping for more. I got down to 242 pounds with the band but then started getting really hungry and gaining. I think my band has slipped.
    Anyway I am feeling more confident about my decision to go ahead with the sleeve every day and hearing these comments makes me know I am doing the right thing.
    I am scared about the 3 months I will be without anything though......I hope I can keep my weight stable at least!
    It will be nice to eat normally again without getting everything stuck or having to eat slippery foods so I can get a meal in!

Thanks again guys for the advice its fantastic.
    Can you eat bread with the sleeve and what amounts would you say you can eat in a meal sitting??
    My surgeon said that I should be able to eat about 1/3 of a cup each meal.
    Also how many meals do you have a day is it 3 or 5??
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Being newly sleeved I am not able to each very much yet. Once swelling goes down the amount is a bit bigger. I am on purees right now, but get to start eating regular, soft foods in less than a week. If I eat something like pureed homemade soups I can usually eat more, like almost a cup, but only when it's a really loose broth soup. When I eat something like pureed homemade chili with a dollop of plain greek yogurt I can only eat about 1/4 cup at the most. When I have Greek yogurt with unsweetened applesauce & cinnamon I am able to eat about 1/3-1/2 cup. I am eating every 2-3 hours (meals & snacks) and finishing my days between 550-750 calories. My doc wants me to be shooting for between 600-800 calories/day.

I do not eat until I'm full. I did once and it was uncomfortable. I've learned to recognize the feeling that if I continue to eat I will be full, so I stop right there.

Bread - I, personally, will be focusing on a high protein/low carb diet through the losing stage, so when I am able to eat bread it will be very limited. It will be pretty limited once I start to maintain, too. My doctor's plan does allow well toasted bread once I hit the soft food stage. They don't recommend un-toasted bread for a long time, though, because it's doughy & balls up, which could be uncomfortable when eating.

All doctors are different, though, so follow his plan and you'll be fine. Good luck!
  • reneemosley
    reneemosley Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am a revision surgery patient. My band was placed 5/2006 and It never functioned the way I anticipated. I never found the sweet spot and struggled with overfills and inflammation for the first year then my port would no longer work. I did not have the financial or insurance resources to do anything for several years.

I was finally able to get my revision surgery 5/2012 and have been nothing less than ecstatic about it. I don't think I fall into norm but I felt freed with the removal of my band. I could not eat dense meat or fibrous vegetables with the band but I have zero eating restrictions with the sleeve. I do not suffer from reflux and do not experience any side effects whatsoever since day one post op.

I had my revision and band removal in one surgery and went home same day. My losses have been slower than some but I contribute that to my history, age, and underlying metabolic struggles. I feel completely normal only I can just eat a small amount of healthy food.

I agree it is everything I had hoped for with the band. You will be happy to get tnat thing out.

Good luck and you can message me if you have any questions.
  • steveelea
    Options
    Thanks Sarah and Renee for your posts.
    For some reason even though I am following the topic I dont get emails with new posts??
    Anyway the stories have been mostly inspiring....some scary but then if I was to tell all about my band stories it would put people off too and I know everyone is different....all I know is I cant live with the band anymore and I can't live with no restriction at all so therefore I hope the sleeve is perfect for me as it has been for so many others.
    What country are you all from....I am from Australia
    Leanne
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Hi Leanne, I am in the USA, Michigan to be exact. As for your question on how much we can eat and breads, I was sleeved 2+ years ago and as time goes on you can eat more than when first sleeved, but not a lot more. I can eat about 1 cup of food at a time and yes I can eat bread. However, because we are on such high protein diets it is important to eat the protein first, then the veggies. Frankly, once I get the protein in there is very little room for anything else, so I may get a few bites of the vegtable or salad, but rarely have enough room for bread. I do not eat regular sandwhiches very often for that reason. I do make wraps for myself with the small fat free wraps, about 4 oz. of meat and maybe a little lettuce/pickle/tomato/cheese. I find that fills me quite nicely. And like Sarah said, you want to avoid eating until you are full as it can be very uncomfortable.

As to how many meals per day at first it's very small meals 5-6 times a day to get in all the calories and protein. As time goes on it goes back to 3 meals a day and maybe a snack if there are enough calories for it or if I am really low on protein.

Feel free to stay in touch, message me and add me as a friend if you want. Happy to help any way I can.
  • steveelea
    Options
    Thank you so much pawoodhull:smile:
    That diet sounds perfect to me!!!!!
    I too do mostly protein and low GI foods and find that I am well satisfied on them.
    I love the sound of the variety you can eat with the sleeve compared to the band........
    and the fact that it keeps you satisfied on such small amounts.
    I am booked in for my band removal on the 27th of November and then will wait 3 months for the sleeve.
    Hopefully they wont find too much scarring on my stomach which should make the sleeve easier.
    As soon as I work out how to add you as a friend I will do.....you have been so helpful :happy:
    Its great to have mentors when you are going through such a major thing. I know some people see it as not a big deal but for me is a huge thing to be going through as was my decision to get the band. It took me 8 years to finally go ahead with getting the band from my first visit to the surgeon to the day I decided to go ahead with it :blushing:
    I am not a fast decision maker and I sort of felt like getting the sleeve was all of a sudden but I trust my surgeon and that he is guiding me in the right direction.
    I just wish that 4 years ago they were doing the sleeve routinely here but it was still in the research stages.
    They said to me that if I had come in now at the weight I am they wouldn't even recommend the band they would recommend the sleeve as a first option. So its good to know that they are so confident with the sleeve and their results
  • Sarbex
    Options
    Steveelea,

I was banded 5/08 and initially got great results for the first 1 yr. losing 69 pounds. I am officially giving it up on 11/26 though after 2 port revisions too and the last one was the final straw - all the ports leaked and I never got good restriction after the 1st year gaining nearly all my weight back.

I do wonder why you are waiting 3 months for the sleeve after the band is removed? My surgeon is removing my band and doing the sleeve at the same time? Granted my band has been empty for over a year so maybe that is the difference?

I am so excited to get my band out but mostly to start my whole sleeve journey - I also wished they did more sleeves when I was considering my band!
  • Casjosh
    Casjosh Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi Steve. I am also a revision. I was banned in April 2008 and had did pretty good for the first 6 mos, but then got pneumonia and had swelling so we drained it. Well, ever since then, I could never get back to losing. Everytime I had a fill, it would tighten in about 5-6 days and it would have to be drained...which I finally did. I met a new surgeon and he suggested the sleeve. In Apirl 2013 I had the band removed and sleeved in the same surgery and spent 2 nights in the hospital. Best thing I ever did. My weightloss is slow, but I am not exercising, which I intend to start ASAP and my water intake is low. I can say....go for it. It will be the best move you every make :smile: