Woman gets probation for sexually assulting a 12 year old

Options

Replies

• adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I would love to see a list of sentences for men who sexually assaulted children of this age for a comparison. It would be laughable....and sad.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Actually, both examples do little other that support the idea that one-off anecdotes provide a piss-poor basis for making general conclusions.

There is still not a huge amount of research on this subject, but this study was cited in a number of articles. You can scroll through the sociological meandering and look at some of the data. Whle the data definitely shows that, overall, men are punished more severely than women for sex offenses, I didn't think the difference was huge (maybe for that type of sample a mean difference of <1yr in length of prison sentence IS a substantial difference--I don't know).

http://www.ncdsv.org/images/FC_Sex-BasedSentencingDiscrepanciesBetweenMaleAndFemaleSexOffenders_2012.pdf

Actually, I'm not really sure what the point of this topic is. Is this another grievance against purported injustices against males in our society? Another attempt to dismiss the issue of violence against women by employing comparative trivialization?
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Actually, both examples do little other that support the idea that one-off anecdotes provide a piss-poor basis for making general conclusions.

There is still not a huge amount of research on this subject, but this study was cited in a number of articles. You can scroll through the sociological meandering and look at some of the data. Whle the data definitely shows that, overall, men are punished more severely than women for sex offenses, I didn't think the difference was huge (maybe for that type of sample a mean difference of <1yr in length of prison sentence IS a substantial difference--I don't know).

http://www.ncdsv.org/images/FC_Sex-BasedSentencingDiscrepanciesBetweenMaleAndFemaleSexOffenders_2012.pdf

Actually, I'm not really sure what the point of this topic is. Is this another grievance against purported injustices against males in our society? Another attempt to dismiss the issue of violence against women by employing comparative trivialization?

I am all for equality, equal crimes should equate equal justice. In many cases, whether the outside factors are race, religion, sex, and age, we just don't see that. And while I know we can find cases of male suspects who get off lightly, I am still betting that women get off with easier sentences like you have pointed out. And we still haven't factored in another important factor...looks. It seems that when boys are the victim of sexual misconduct/abuse....if the woman is "hot" they seem to get very light sentences and the consensus among some adult males ( once again, I am betting a fairly large percentage) don't think a crime has happened at all. Asking for equal justice for male victims against female predators in know way trivializes violence against women.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    How do you confuse a 12 year old boy with a grow man? I know in the teen years age can be hard to tell but 12? And more importantly, she asked him if he had ever been with a woman which implies she knew his age.

The last paragraph caught my attention:

"Garner is not the first NFL cheerleader accused of similar misconduct. Former Cincinnati Bengals cheerleader and high school teacher Sarah Jones was arrested for having sex with a 17-year-old boy whom she is now reportedly engaged to." This is where the law makes me angry. That person was months away from being a legal adult and beyond the age of consent, does his fiance deserve to be registered as a sex offender?