Green Team- Week 5

Options

Replies

• tambam72
    tambam72 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    My thoughts on the submission for a dinner menu:

I think we should have a theme such as comfort food or kid friendly or quick and easy or recipes for working women (crockpot/make ahead). Anyway just my thoughts as it seemed like some of the recipes you all submitted already worked in these categories.

I have a dessert recipe that could fit in a couple of categories - make ahead, and comfort food (well at least for me):

Featherweight (meringue) Chocolate Chip Cookies - Makes 45 cookies

2 egg whites, room temperature
    1/4 t. cream of tartar
    2/3 c. superfine sugar
    1 t. vanilla extract
    Pinch of salt
    1 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat over to 350 degrees. Cover a large baking sheet with foil; set aside. IN a medium-size bowl, beat egg whites until foamy, add cream of tartar. Gradually add superfine sugar and beat until stiff peaks for. Mix in vanilla a salt, then fold in chocolate chips. Put in oven, then turn off heat and leave cookies in for at least 5 hours without opening door (they can be left overnight for convenience). Cookies will be very light brown in color. Store in an airtight container until ready to serve.

Serving size: 1 cookie
    Calories per serving: 37
    Carbs per serving: 6 g
    Fat per serving: 1 g
    Protein per serving: 1 g
    Sodium per serving: 1 g
    Sugar per serving: 6 g
    I agreed with you and I think that almost all of the recipes were kid friendly. What child does not love chocolate chip cookies, pizza, chicken pot pies, chocolate strawberries, mozzarella cheese...job well done everyone!!
    Tammie
  • Tolstoy26
    Tolstoy26 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I vote menu #2, those strawberries sound AMAZING!
  • FieryVixsin
    FieryVixsin Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Both Sounds really good my only concern is that our meal is supposted to include a side dish which I don't see. From the main post.

Additionally I'd like each team to come up with a meal and PM it to me by tomorrow evening at the latest. I will then post a new thread with all of the meals and not tell you which team came up with each. You can then comment on the thread with the meal you want to win. Each team that gets me their meal by 8pm EST tomorrow night will each receive 2 bonus points and the team that wins the vote will get 5 bonus points. The meal itself must contain a starter(appetizer), a main course, at least one side, and a dessert and must be below 1000 calories. Discuss within your team thread until you are satisfied with the components of your meal and then the coaches (or whatever representative you choose) will need to send me the information for the meal. Please message it to me in a format like this

Starter: house salad with dressing (300 cals)
    Main course: Baked chicken breast (235 cals)
    Side dish: steamed broccoli (60 calories)
    dessert: fresh berries (80 calories)
    total for meal: 675 calories
  • FieryVixsin
    Options
    I would swap the starters. then meal one would be much more "kid friendly" and the other would appeal more to adults. Just a thought as normal tammy you do a great job keeping us on track.
  • FieryVixsin
    Options
    I think I might be addicted to Skinnytaste :laugh: Trying to find some sides

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/10/cilantro-lime-cauliflower-rice.html

Cilantro Lime Cauliflower "Rice"
    Skinnytaste.com
    Servings: 5 • Size: 1 cup • Old Points: 1 pt • Weight Watchers Points+: 2 pts
    Calories: 61 • Fat: 3 g • Carb: 8 g • Fiber: 3 g • Protein: 2.5 g • Sugar: 0 g
    Cholesterol: 0 mg • Sodium: 37 (without salt)

Ingredients:

1 medium head (about 24 oz) cauliflower, rinsed
    1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
    2 garlic cloves
    2 scallions, diced
    kosher salt and pepper, to taste
    1-1/2 limes
    1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro

Directions:

Remove the core and let the cauliflower dry completely. Coarsely chop into florets, then place half of the cauliflower in a food processor and pulse until the cauliflower is small and has the texture of rice or couscous – don't over process or it will get mushy. Set aside and repeat with the remaining cauliflower.

Heat a large saute pan over medium heat, add olive oil, scallions and garlic and sauté about 3 to 4 minutes, or until soft.

Raise the heat to medium-high. Add the cauliflower "rice" to the saute pan. Cover and cook approximately 5 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently, until the cauliflower is slightly crispy on the outside but tender on the inside. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Remove from heat and place in a medium bowl; toss with fresh cilantro and lime juice to taste.

Makes 5 servings.

Maybe with the swordfish? I'm still browsing I'll try to post more
  • jfea
    jfea Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I think both menus are awesome. My vote might lean more towards menu 2, and maybe consider adding the Cauliflower "rice".
  • FieryVixsin
    Options
    Ok finding a side for a pot pie that wasn't just a salad was a pain lol here is the best I could come up with if anyone else has a better idea please!

Garlic Corn on the Cob
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/garlic-corn-on-the-cob/

Prep Time: 10 Minutes
    Cook Time: 30 Minutes
    Ready In: 40 Minutes
    Servings: 12

INGREDIENTS:
    12 ears corn, husked and cleaned
    12 tablespoons butter, divided
    1/4 cup garlic powder

DIRECTIONS:
    1. Preheat grill for medium heat, or preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    2. Place each ear of corn on a separate square of aluminum foil. Place 1 tablespoon of butter on each one, and sprinkle with garlic powder. Wrap ears tightly with the foil.
    3. Place ears of corn on the grill or in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes, turning over occasionally.

Nutrition

Calories 234 kcal
    Carbohydrates 29.2 g
    Cholesterol 31 mg
    Fat 13.2 g
    Fiber 4.1 g
    Protein 5.2 g
    Sodium 104 mg
    Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

This is a pretty simple recipe that can easily be reduced.
  • FieryVixsin
    Options
    1 last suggestion then I'm done :laugh:

Skinny Garlic Mashed Potatoes
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2008/03/garlic-mashed-potatoes-3-ww-points.html

Skinny Garlic Mashed Potatoes
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 5 servings • Size: 3/4 cup • Old Points: 3 pts • Points+: 4 pts
    Calories: 159.6 • Fat: 1.7 • Carbs: 32.3 • Fiber: 3.2 • Protein: 4.5

Ingredients:
    2 lbs (4 medium) yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
    4 large garlic cloves, peeled and halved
    1/4 cup fat free sour cream
    1/4 cup fat free chicken broth
    2 tablespoons skim milk
    1 tbsp light butter
    kosher salt to taste
    dash of fresh ground pepper
    1/4 cup fresh herbs of choice: parsley, thyme, tarragon

Directions:
    Put potatoes and garlic in a large pot with salt and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain and return potatoes and garlic to pan. Add sour cream and remaining ingredients. Using a masher, mash until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
  • tambam72
    Options
    Ok Ladies here is the menu I am posting on the main thread. It appears for those that voted menu 2 won!! I did add a side dish as it was pointed out that I had left that out, thank you sexyparti for finding sides and posting, you saved out butts!! Here it is and I hope you all like it:
    GREEN TEAM’S MENU #2
    Appetizer:
    Tomato Mini Pizzas: ( 4 Servings)
    2 large pocketless pitas
    2 large plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 tbsps. chopped basil
    2 tsps. olive oil
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1/3 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese

Directions:
    1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a large non-stick baking sheet with non stick cooking spray. Place the pitas on the baking sheet.
    2. In a small bowl,mix the tomatoes and salt;stir in the basil, oil, and garlic. Top the pitas with the tomato mixture, drizzling any liquid in the bowl over the toppings. Bake until the tomatoes are hot and softened, about 8 minutes. Sprinkle with the cheese; bake until the cheese is melted, about 3 minutes longer. cut the pitas in half before serving.

Per Serving: 131 calories, 4 g Total Fat, 1 g Saturated Fat, 4 mg Cholesterol, 346 mg sodium, 18 g Total carbohydrate, 1 g Dietary Fiber, 6 g Protein, 118 mg Calcium. Points per serving: 3.

Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook. MacMillan:New York. 1998. found on page40.
    Main Course:
    Broiled Swordfish with Mango Salsa

(4) Prep time: 20 min Total time: 1 hour 6 min Makes: 6 servings

What You Need 3 swordfish steaks (1-1/2 lb.) 3/4 cup A.1. STEAKHOUSE Marinade for Seafood Mango Chipotle 2 mangos, peeled, chopped 1/2 cup chopped red peppers 2 green onions, thinly sliced 1 tsp. finely chopped seeded jalapeño peppers 3 Tbsp. lime juice

Make It Place fish in resealable plastic bag. Add marinade; seal bag. Turn bag over several times to evenly coat fish with marinade. Refrigerate 30 min. to marinate. Meanwhile, combine remaining ingredients; cover. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Preheat broiler. Remove fish from marinade; discard bag and marinade. Place fish on rack of broiler pan. Broil, 4 inches from heat, 6 to 8 min. on each side or until fish flakes easily with fork. Cut steaks in half. Serve with the mango mixture.

Nutritional information per serving Calories 240 , Total fat 5g , Saturated fat 1.5g , Cholesterol 45mg , Sodium 640mg , Carbohydrate 26g , Dietary fiber 2g , Sugars 22g , Protein 24g , Vitamin A 25%DV ,
    Side Dish:
    Garlic Corn on the Cob
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/garlic-corn-on-the-cob/

Prep Time: 10 Minutes
    Cook Time: 30 Minutes
    Ready In: 40 Minutes
    Servings: 12

INGREDIENTS:
    12 ears corn, husked and cleaned
    12 tablespoons butter, divided
    1/4 cup garlic powder

DIRECTIONS:
    1. Preheat grill for medium heat, or preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    2. Place each ear of corn on a separate square of aluminum foil. Place 1 tablespoon of butter on each one, and sprinkle with garlic powder. Wrap ears tightly with the foil.
    3. Place ears of corn on the grill or in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes, turning over occasionally.

Nutrition

Calories 234 kcal
    Carbohydrates 29.2 g
    Cholesterol 31 mg
    Fat 13.2 g
    Fiber 4.1 g
    Protein 5.2 g
    Sodium 104 mg
    Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
    Dessert:
    Black and White Strawberries (makes 4 servings)

1/4 cup + 2 Tbsps. semisweet chocolate chips
    1 1/2 teaspoons raspberry liqueur (framboise)
    1/2 ounce white chocolate, chopped or 2 tablespoons white chocolate chips
    2 cups whole strawberries

Directions:
    1. Line a large baking sheet with wax paper. In a small microwavable bowl, combine the chocolate chips, liqueur and 1 1/2 teaspoons water; microwave on High, stirring twice, until melted and smooth, about 1 1/2 minutes. Holding a berry by the hull, dip the berry halfway into the chocolate; set on the wax paper. Repeat with the remaining berries and chocolate.
    2. In another small microwavable bowl, melt the white chocolate in the microwave on High, stirring once, until melted and smooth, about 1 minute. Dip a fork in the white chocolate; drizzle over the strawberries. Refrigerate until the chocolate hardens. Serve chilled.

Per serving: 97 calories, 4 g total fat, 2 g Saturated Fat, 0 mg Cholesterol, 4 mg Sodium, 15 g Total Carbohydrate, 2 g Dietary Fiber, 1 g Protein, 21 mg Calcium. Points Per Serving: 2

Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook. MacMillan:New York. 1998. found on page 382.
    Nutritional Facts for Total Meal:
    Calories: 692
    Fat: 26.2 g
    Carbohydrates: 88.2 g
    Protein: 36.2 g
    Fiber: 9.1 g
    I think this looks delish and I will certainly try this and the other menu one night!! Have a great night ladies. Sorry my posts have been few and far between, i am down and out with strep throat and the flu, needless to say my butt isn't moving much.

Tammie
  • jesserunsfree
    jesserunsfree Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    look great sorry i wasn't around to participate more this week at work has been challenging for me, plus I have been extra kinda tired this week, not use to being so down
  • tambam72
    Options
    look great sorry i wasn't around to participate more this week at work has been challenging for me, plus I have been extra kinda tired this week, not use to being so down
    I hear you Jesse, my body has had me down for three days this week with the flu and just feeling run down. My weight has actually gone up a little this week, but I am going to try and nip that in the butt this weekend. It is supposed to be a nice weekend here and I have already taken advantage of it by getting a walk in. i am also going to hit the gym later. You can find the exercises ion youtube if you want to try Last Chance Workout, but if you are feeling run down, i would skip it this week and I will repost with better links next week. Have a great weekend!!
  • FieryVixsin
    Options
    Ugg this week i think just about everyone on the team has been feeling ill. I know that I haven't been as active and haven't felt like eating much at all. The annoying thing is I haven't felt terrible but the damn thing seems to just linger. I'm going to give the last chance my best effort tomorrow and try to get a good walk in today.

Hope everyone feels better and has a good weekend.
  • jesserunsfree
    Options
    I was able to get 1.8 miles of my 3 mile run today, Tomorrow is my anniversary, I was 250.4 this morning. I am really praying fingers crossed for that magic 249 tomorrow. We will see. I think the cold weather switch is what got me. Went from one level of cold to another. Tomorrow is a new day. For me its a celebration 6 years married.
  • Yesterday was horrible for me, I rushed around all day from one thing to another and ended up giving into a craving for McDonalds, then ended up at dinner with friends. Calorie wise the McDonalds through me over. I did get new running gear, its been so cold I haven't been able to run in the morning. Its hard enough to get motivated but with the weather change it was near impossible. I have to run at 5am to get it in and its been about 19 degrees in the mornings here lately.

I'm excited to get a run in today, and judging by yesterdays intake I better make it a loooong one.
  • tambam72
    Options
    Good evening ladies:
    Sorry I have not be very active this week, between the flu which had me dragging butt and then yesterday trying to catch up, I blew out my good knee. I am in so much pain and I knew better. I have a lot of fluid on the knee, tired walking some of it off today, but it didn;t work actually made it worse. I am going to try and hand bike tonight, but seriously don't know if I am going to get to it because between the pain and the feeling blah, i just don;t have the energy. i was really discouraged when I stepped on the scale this morning and saw a 2 pound gain, but I know that is the fluid. Ugh..praying next week is better. For anyone in the path of tornadoes, i pray you all remain safe and sound!! Have a good night!!

Tammie
    (Your crazy in pain coach)
  • jesserunsfree
    Options
    awe tammie, I am so sorry to hear about your knee. will be praying for you. I know that cna't be easy.

today has been food temptation like crazy, between my sister getting engaged, a birthday party for a family friends 6 year old son and with hubby and I going out for desert after our movie tonight, I have had to fight the inner beast all the way.
  • FieryVixsin
    Options
    I'm pretty sure Tammy and her hubby are trying to kill me the last chance work completed! I pretty much spread it out all day in between chores I had to youtube quite a few and a couple I had to "wing". The Burpees at the end were especially evil :devil:
    Can't wait to see how what diabolical thing you guys whip up next week.

I'm very sorry about your knee I hope you and the rest of our ill team feel better soon. I'm pretty good I just have this dry cough that won't go away. on the plus side my water drinking is up
  • jesserunsfree
    Options
    Weight: 250

Not a bug loss but after 2 weeks of big losses I'll take it!
  • Tolstoy26
    Tolstoy26 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Weight Week 5: 163.8 lbs, down 2.2lbs

Haven't had a chance to complete the last chance workout yet, but I will be doing it tonight.
  • tambam72
    Options
    I'm pretty sure Tammy and her hubby are trying to kill me the last chance work completed! I pretty much spread it out all day in between chores I had to youtube quite a few and a couple I had to "wing". The Burpees at the end were especially evil :devil:
    Can't wait to see how what diabolical thing you guys whip up next week.

I'm very sorry about your knee I hope you and the rest of our ill team feel better soon. I'm pretty good I just have this dry cough that won't go away. on the plus side my water drinking is up
    Glad you enjoyed. I am actually getting it in tonight because I am feeling better and I am a couple of pounds. Hopefully his will help shed. We will try our best to come up with something fun..(hehehee)

Tammie
    (your devilsih coach)