Add GF Friends

Options
2»

Replies

• imusjulie77
    Options
    hi my name is Julie I have been gluten free for about 10 years now my biggest struggles have been family and friends around me who have not understood what it means to be gf now I have been truly blessed with a spouse who helps maintain a wheat/gluten free environment for me and eats gf himself :happy: fitness pal I tried then gave up now I am back willing to ask for support and hopeful to be supportive to others ..I am not sure how to make my profile open for the groups to see ..if someone can let me know if it is or not and how to open for u all to see let me know ....:smile:
  • tonyajohn
    Options
    Gluten free for 3 years now. My food diary is always open to friends. Feel free to add. :smile:
  • ELEANOR43da
    ELEANOR43da Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I am gluten "free" ,but just the past 2 months and am having a difficult time with my meals. Just feel trapped in a place where no one really cares enough to help me through the first of it all.
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!

Been gluten free for 3 years. Feel SO MUCH better! :]
  • mamabear272
    mamabear272 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Gluten free due to celiac. Diagnosed in June 2011. My diary is open. Feel free to add me. I do have to preface that I do not take kindly to gf fad dieters. I am gf because I have to be and I feel that fad dieters take away from the seriousness that those of us who really NEED to be gf. We deal with medical issues and get very sick from gluten (at least I do anyway). *down from my sopabox (for now lol)*
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    You can add me. My diary is always open, and if you see something that catches your interest I'll send you recipes. :)
  • dvairagi
    dvairagi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good evening All... I am vegetarian (thyroid disease) and have Celiac disease since August of 2013. Still working my way thru this, and hoping this is going to be blessing in disguise some how. So far unfortunately I gained 10+ pounds since August, but started watching my calories and exercise again to see if I can control or loose some weight as well. Please feel free to add me, my diary is shared. I would love to add friends who share their diary and help me keep motivated.

Good luck all.

Thanks
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    My 9yo daughter is GF and I do most of the cooking in our house, so I'm in charge of keeping her GF. A task that I take VERY seriously.

My food diary is open, but I almost never keep it. There's not much you can get from scoping it out. I do, however, share recipes and/or food ideas openly, and am always on the lookout for the next cool GF thing. Because I never keep my diary, I don't bother checking others', unless they point something out that's worth investigating.

I can, however, tell how pretty much all of my friends are working out these days. That's my thing. The workouts.

If you're interested, please make sure to include a note with the FR, otherwise I'll move on.
  • trijoe
    Options
    Gluten free due to celiac. Diagnosed in June 2011. My diary is open. Feel free to add me. I do have to preface that I do not take kindly to gf fad dieters. I am gf because I have to be and I feel that fad dieters take away from the seriousness that those of us who really NEED to be gf. We deal with medical issues and get very sick from gluten (at least I do anyway). *down from my sopabox (for now lol)*

To a degree, I agree completely. Our house is GF because when it's not, my daughter is sick. There's no "fad" involved. Bread? Sick. No bread? Healthy. Why anybody would WANT to be GF, just for fads and jollies, to be honest, baffles me. Especially with a 9yo kid, it is simply hard as hell. I'd do anything to end the need for my daughter's GF lifestyle.

But to a degree, I disagree completely. The more people who go GF, whether they need to or not, the more demand there is for GF foods out there. I don't know how the rest of the GF world does it, but in our house, cooking for a GF 9yo, substitutions are critical. I cried tears of joy the first time we found a GF bread she liked. To this day, when we go out and about we throw a bun in a ziplock baggie and take it with us, in case we stop for cheeseburgers. And life became so much easier when we found GF brown rice pasta. And don't even get me started on the rays of sunshine that GF brownies and cupcakes shined into our lives. Just yesterday, she and I were at a group run and afterward, the sponsors made GF pancakes. If these things (and all the others, for that matter) became available partly because some fad dieters moved on from raspberry key tones and green detox juices and landed in the GF aisle? Hey. More power to them. They're helping us out. I don't have to understand, or agree with them to enjoy the results of their going GF. If that makes sense.
  • takerbrat
    takerbrat Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You can add me as well, over the next two weeks I will be posting recipes on MFP blog daily that are Low Carb-Low Fat-High Protein and Gluten Free. Today it was for Turkey Taxco Supper - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/takerbrat/view/turkey-taco-supper-600333
  • takerbrat
    takerbrat Posts: 81 Member
    Options

To a degree, I agree completely. Our house is GF because when it's not, my daughter is sick. There's no "fad" involved. Bread? Sick. No bread? Healthy. Why anybody would WANT to be GF, just for fads and jollies, to be honest, baffles me. Especially with a 9yo kid, it is simply hard as hell. I'd do anything to end the need for my daughter's GF lifestyle.

But to a degree, I disagree completely. The more people who go GF, whether they need to or not, the more demand there is for GF foods out there. I don't know how the rest of the GF world does it, but in our house, cooking for a GF 9yo, substitutions are critical. I cried tears of joy the first time we found a GF bread she liked. To this day, when we go out and about we throw a bun in a ziplock baggie and take it with us, in case we stop for cheeseburgers. And life became so much easier when we found GF brown rice pasta. And don't even get me started on the rays of sunshine that GF brownies and cupcakes shined into our lives. Just yesterday, she and I were at a group run and afterward, the sponsors made GF pancakes. If these things (and all the others, for that matter) became available partly because some fad dieters moved on from raspberry key tones and green detox juices and landed in the GF aisle? Hey. More power to them. They're helping us out. I don't have to understand, or agree with them to enjoy the results of their going GF. If that makes sense.
    I am currently reading a book entitled, The Gluten Connection: How Gluten Sensitivity May Be Sabotaging Your Health by Dr. Shari Lieberman in it she talks about how gluten sensitivity can "masquerade" as diseases and disorders like:
    - Skin Diseases like psoriasis, eczema and acne (to name a couple)
    - Neurological Disorders like headaches and behavioural problems
    - Autoimmune Diseases like lupus, MS, diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis (to name a few)
    - Digestive Disorders like IBS, Crohns, acid reflux, ulcers
    - Other Diseases like chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, anemia and asthma
    It is pretty shocking really!
  • trijoe
    Options

I am currently reading a book entitled, The Gluten Connection: How Gluten Sensitivity May Be Sabotaging Your Health by Dr. Shari Lieberman in it she talks about how gluten sensitivity can "masquerade" as diseases and disorders like:
    - Skin Diseases like psoriasis, eczema and acne (to name a couple)
    - Neurological Disorders like headaches and behavioural problems
    - Autoimmune Diseases like lupus, MS, diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis (to name a few)
    - Digestive Disorders like IBS, Crohns, acid reflux, ulcers
    - Other Diseases like chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, anemia and asthma
    It is pretty shocking really!

With 2 of our daughters, gluten intolerance manifested through GI issues. Tummy aches all… night… long… Acid reflux. Bowel issues. Constant seemingly incurable constipation. Our oldest daughter ended up in the hospital with stomach problems. They grew to basically hate food. Not knowing what else to do, we took our kids to a holistic doctor who tested one of the girls. And WOW were we surprised with the results! Lots of insensitivities, with gluten being the worst. We ended up going on a very restrictive diet for the better part of a year, as the girls' systems cleared themselves out and reset themselves. Then we re-introduced all the foods, 1 item at a time. All came back well. Except gluten.

Our oldest grew out of her gluten intolerance and is now back to a standard diet. Our other daughter, though, still gets sick whenever she has gluten (I try but fail from time to time, to keep her completely free). It's tough seeing her sick, but it's good to know, after years of complete ignorance, why what's happening with her is happening.

The problem figuring it all out, for us, was the fact that the gluten intolerance and it's actions in the girls' bodies had them also reacting to other foods. We had to go off WAY more than gluten, and give their bodies a painfully long time to reset before we were able to see just how bad the gluten had been on them.

But yeah, there's an endless set of ways gluten intolerance can mess with you. *sigh*
  • maieranne77
    maieranne77 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I would love for you to add me! I've been mostly GF for a month now. Still a work in progress and always looking for ideas and recipes!
    I am not celiac but using diet to try and control my psoriosis.
  • Kitkay805
    Options
    You can add me if you would like. I'm new to GF and I have been experimenting with a few recipes!
  • student37
    student37 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have a gluten intolerance as does my daughter. Feel free to add me. I don't post a lot though. I have been on the diet for a little over a year and cannot believe how much better I feel!!
  • marie5282
    marie5282 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I've been GF for about 3 1/2 years now, due to celiac. My diary is open for friends, and I'd love to see what everyone else is eating for new ideas!
  • lindsay_rb
    Options
    I'm new to MFP, so my food diary is just beginning, but I've been gluten free (mostly!) since late 2012, after being diagnosed with Celiac. Feel free to add me! I'm open to any new friends, especially GF ones! :)
  • Mercedespony
    Mercedespony Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm in for some new GF friends! I've been gf for about 3 years now? I kind of forget...
    Diary is open, I need some new ideals.
  • shokes718
    shokes718 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I just added you Mandy. I just opened my diary so anyone can feel free to add me!