Clothes Shopping :(

Options
MommyisFit
MommyisFit Posts: 139 Member
So I had to find a cocktail dress for a couple corporate holiday parties that I will attend with my husband. I was having a horrible time finding something that would accommodate a 2nd trimester belly. I am already showing fairly well right now (to the point that others can tell) at 14 1/2 weeks but not enough that it makes sense to get maternity. But I need a dress that will work next month for these couple events.

So after leaving a dressing room feeling defeated, a sales lady asks me if she can help. I explain the situation to her and she says to me "Honey, you need to be shopping in the Plus size department. This is Petite's. Here let me find you a 1x."

I was already feeling pretty down about how I look in the dresses I was trying on, only to hear from someone else I look much bigger than I am. I am not sure if I should laugh or cry! Ugh!

BTW: I am 5'2" 126lbs right now and wear a size 2 or 4 petite.

Replies

• stephysd
    stephysd Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    I'd be pissed and tell her to 'F' off. By your stats there is no reason that you would need to be in the plus department. Knits are going to be your best friend although I know they cling something fierce. Another great option is a wrap dress that you can adjust as you need to for you baby bump as it grows over the holidays. Or just make sure that the dress has an empire waist so that it is not as tight around your baby bump. I threw in a couple of links of what I would personally get. One is Old Navy and the other one I just googled wrap dresses. Both are black, which are boring but you can spice it up with some lace tights, amazing jewerly and a gorgeous shawl to help keep you warm during the party. The dress might be basic, but you could let your accessories shine and they would be easy to change out for the different parties.

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=93289&vid=1&pid=750093012

http://www.amazon.com/Envie-Fraises-Womens-Wrap-over-Sleeves/dp/B00EYPEFYE/ref=sr_1_6/184-5082978-7685702?ie=UTF8&qid=1383941486&sr=8-6&keywords=Maternity+Wrap+Dress
  • MommyisFit
    Options
    Thanks for the options. I actually did find something I really like and it is knit. It fits me perfectly with a little extra room through the belly and hips.

I was just really pissed. I was already feeling like crap and she went and made me feel worse!
  • tartsul
    tartsul Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    wow, no tact at all! the only way a 1x would even REMOTELY work is if you had every other part altered WAY down except for the baby bump area. and even then, going from such a huge size to such a small size for the rest of your body wouldn't work that well, alterations wise - you'd be losing the shape of the garment. and it would probably cost twice the price of the dress to do so many extensive alterations. what a ridiculous suggestion for her to make!

anyways, i'm glad you found something that you like and that works for you! i am 14 weeks now and really starting to feel the pinch with my regular clothes. i have clothes from prior to losing weight, but luckily at this point, only my stomach is getting bigger...not my butt! where did you find the dress you ended up getting? i've been looking online for stuff but it's so hard to tell without seeing it/trying it on.
  • OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Well I recently starting buying maternity clothes because my normal work slacks were jabbing into my stomach as well as creating a terrible muffin top. My jeans won't even button up.

So I've mainly shopped at the following stores that carry maternity clothing: Old Navy (don't buy their jeans, they fall and sag!!!) , The Gap, H&M (have the best jeans...they don't fall!!!), Target and Motherhood.

So far I've purchased underwear, 1 pair of jeans, 1 pair of slacks and a few loose tank blouses, a few long wrap sweaters, 1 skirt, 2 dresses (for work :-/) and few cute cotton long sleeve tops, some tights and 1 pair of leggings. I just switch up the shirts to create different styles.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    Yea, no way. I just got out of 1x and was super happy to be back in just a large and I am waaayy bigger than you are.
    Glad you find something. I hope you glared at the lady at least, maybe she will think twice next time.
  • MommyisFit
    Options
    wow, no tact at all! the only way a 1x would even REMOTELY work is if you had every other part altered WAY down except for the baby bump area. and even then, going from such a huge size to such a small size for the rest of your body wouldn't work that well, alterations wise - you'd be losing the shape of the garment. and it would probably cost twice the price of the dress to do so many extensive alterations. what a ridiculous suggestion for her to make!

anyways, i'm glad you found something that you like and that works for you! i am 14 weeks now and really starting to feel the pinch with my regular clothes. i have clothes from prior to losing weight, but luckily at this point, only my stomach is getting bigger...not my butt! where did you find the dress you ended up getting? i've been looking online for stuff but it's so hard to tell without seeing it/trying it on.

I found it at Sears - it was a Kim Kardashian Knit dress - size small not 1x lol!. The fit was perfect and had enough room for a few more pounds in the belly area! I just pulled out the maternity stuff this week though for everyday clothes. My jeans still button but they aren't the most comfortable as the day wears on.