Real hunger

Options
I am day 5 out from my sleeve surgery and I am soooooo hungry. I
Thought that we were supposed to lose the ghrelin hormone that's
a big part of the hunger messages. Help.

Replies

• Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Is it head hunger or real hunger? I have had head hunger, but never real hunger. I just eat when my tummy starts to growl & feel empty.

Sorry to hear if it is real hunger. That would suck.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Are you still on liquids? You probably are -- remember that you need to endure some discomfort in order to let your stomach heal. It is natural to be hungry when you haven't eaten for almost a week, but you need to be compliant.

Even though your ghrelin will be diminished, you will still get hungry when your stomach is empty, and you will also experience "cravings" and "head hunger," which is why most of us were overweight in the first place.

Contrary to what many would have you believe, WLS isn't the "easy way out." It's pretty hard if you do it right. Hang in there and follow your surgeon's directions. :smile:
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when I am really empty my stomach gets a quesy feeling that I could mistake as hunger. The feeling goes away when I drink. 5 days out you should be consuming liquids at a rate of 1 oz every 15 minutes (basically constantly hydrating) which shoul dhelp you feel more comfortable.
  • cmorga02
    cmorga02 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Today is my 3 week post op anniversary and just started soft foods, mashed potatoes, eggs, pudding, fruitless yogurt...ect. I will say that the "you never feel hungry again" thought is completely bogus. You will still feel hunger, but our bodies can't distinquish hunger and thirst. Your body may be thirsty but it signals as hunger. I was told at a minimum I need to get in 64oz of liquid, not counting my protein drinks. If your surgeon allows it, make sure that you're getting in some protein, that also helps.

Every surgeon's diet plan is different, but I think most allow various protein drinks. As MyOwnSunshine said, this isn't a easy way out. It is a commitment. If you don't do this the right way you'll be back where you started or possibly worse. Just hang in there, the first several days are tough. I was on clear liquids +protein drinks two weeks prior and two weeks post and it was tough.
  • smorgan0000
    Options
    I started feeling "hunger" 7 or 8 days post op. But like CMorga02 said, it's not really hunger as much as thirst. When I feel that "hunger" I drink 4-8 oz protein shake or a 50/50 water/apple juice mix and the "hunger" is gone. The hunger and thirst signals feel the same... Try drinking. I'm still on cloudy liquids so I still drink everything... Haha but still, my hunger is really just thirst. It's SO easy to become dehydrated after VSG.
  • emmerin78
    emmerin78 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Also, check with your surgeon/NUT re: omeprazole. It's a medication that may help to reduce the amount of acid in your stomach, which can often mimic hunger pangs. I've been on it since 3 days out from surgery and find that it really helps. Hang in there...it will get better :)
  • bockenstedt6
    bockenstedt6 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Before surgery, I remember reading somewhere that you should drink at least 8 oz of water prior to a meal so you do not confuse thirst and hunger. If you are keeping your stomach full of liquids, there should not be any indication of being hungry, except for when you wake up in the morning. I have a sensation that I refer to as not hungry but empty... This is when my stomach is telling me its empty and ready for something to go in it. This tends to happen if I skip or miss a meal or am just off my schedule for the day.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,705 Member
    Options
    When I feel that "hunger" I drink 4-8 oz protein shake or a 50/50 water/apple juice mix and the "hunger" is gone.
    Only 5 months sleeved, but if I don't get enough nutrition (especially protein), I get hungry. And if I eat too many sugar/carbs, I get cravings.

I need to drink water often, take vitamins, eat proteins first (then veggies, some fruit), stay away from processed sugars & carbs, and keep good quality carbs to a minimum.

The smaller stomach will help us stop, but it can be stretched out. The hormone reduction will reduce but not eliminate our appetite. And it will come back. The surgery is not a be-all, cure-all. We still need to work. That's why new eating habits are so extremely important.

I don't want to waste this gift. That's another motivation this surgery has given me.