PS4 First Impressions

Options
So as usual, the UPS guy doesn't hit my house until about 6:30 last night (note to self: no Christmas bonus for the UPS guy.) My shiney new PS4 arrived and it's a real thing of beauty. Real easy to hook up, has a very (make that VERY) small footprint, near as I can tell it runs very cool AND quiet, and amazingly doesn't have a power brick to power it! Not sure what kind of Voodoo Sony used to pull all that off, but it works.

Not surprisingly there were some minor hiccups trying to log in to PSN (with a million new PS4 owners hammering their login servers.) Otherwise, it was a pretty smooth process. The interface is very clean and pleasing, although I'm hoping we have some more options to customize the look a bit in the future. At the very least, replace that omnipresent pale blue background for something else.

There were some free goodies waiting for folks once you got in. A handful of games were free to download and play right away. Of course, there's Warframe. Never played this on the PC, but watched it being played a bit on Twitch. This is a pretty full-bodied version of the game near as I can tell, so it should be interesting to see how it works out. Blacklight Retribution is another free-to-play FPS, but I could never get into the game (the servers were either down or highly lagged.) Contrast is a puzzle platformer where you can shift between a physical and shadow form to navigate the game world. Resogun is sort of a bullet-hell successor to the old arcade hit Defender (and boy am I dating myself with that reference.)

One thing that jumps up and gives you wet kitty kisses on the face is the rock-solid framerate. The games are all buttery smooth, I didn't notice any significant frame hits, and it's all at wonderful, glorious 1080p yumminess. Even on games like Warframe which can be awash in action at times, I didn't experience any noticeable case of the "jankies" while playing, even with a PUG group of 3 other guys running with me.

Another pleasant surprise was the streaming integration. Twitch streams coming from the PS4 are smooth, clear and fairly hitch-free for the most part. They did put in channel chat, but trying to carry on a serious conversation with the PS4 controller isn't recommended. I imagine a Bluetooth keyboard may be on Santa's list this year, not to mention a Playstation Camera (the new moniker for the device formerly known as the Playstation Eye. Yeah, not sure what branding genius thought THAT was an improvement) and a more durable headset/mic.

Not surprisingly, apps for Netflix, Amazon Video, Hulu and many of the other guys were already there ready for installation. I must say the new Netflix interface is pretty smexy...the preview picture now inhabits the whole top of the screen instead of a tiny parcelled-off frame.

I'm going to reserve comment on features not there at launch but slated to be available Soon™ (like streaming your own MP3 collection instead of paying Sony yet more money for a Music Unlimited subscription.) There were some reports of a few isolated cases of units with dodgy HDMI ports and/or HDD's, but these appear to be pretty rare on the whole, and it looks like Sony is trying to get ahead of them as quickly as possible. Certainly nothing like the overheating or RROD's fiasco of the previous generation, not by a longshot.

Overall, this was about as smooth a rollout for a new piece of hardware as you could want. We'll see how Microsoft steps up to the plate next Friday with their XBox One. Of course, my UPS guy will bring that late in the day as well. Stupid UPS guy.

Replies

• Genem30
    Genem30 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Yeah, loving mine so far, picked up Knack, Lego Marvel Super Heroes and Killzone on Amazon as part of their Buy 2 Get 1 Free deal, Knack is probably my favorite so far, just feels like a great throwback to old PlayStation platformers like Crash Bandicoot, and playing on normal is pretty challenging. Have at least 17 friends who picked up systems, and no real issues to speak of beyond typical launch stuff like PSN being down for awhile.

I have noticed quite a few 1-star reviews on Amazon for DOA systems, but considering Amazon shipped over 50k units out (and poorly is the packaging for mine was any indication), 200-300 units not working out of the box is still well under 1%, which isn't bad, especially considering where these next gen consoles are being assembled.

So far, very impressed with the new system, even as a PC gamer. Also played some DCUO and Warframe, which I never got around to on the PC, and both are a lot of fun for free to play games.
  • StarGeezer
    Options
    Yeah, I had nothing but a good experience all the way around (well, except for the aforementioned UPS guy...a pox on him and all wearers of brown shorts.) The shipping box was well-taped and stuffed to the brim with those little air-pillow fillers they use. The PS4 box itself was pristine as well. The only issue was initially logging into PSN (took about a half hour), but considering they were being kerfuffled by hundreds of thousands of logins all at once, there isn't really any surprise there.

I really want to enjoy Warframe, but alas I am cursed with a terminal shooter deficiency. I played a few matches last night and the rest of my little PUG group carried me. When I tried going back and doing those same missions solo today, the mobs routinely turn me into sushi. I am more than a little concerned that this may be a true "pay-to-win" title as well...so far as I can tell the only way to get more platinum (which in turn is the only way to get certain warframes, weapons, and other items) is to spend real cash. In fact, I'm not even sure what the credits I've been collecting are even for: I have yet to see anything to spend them on. I'm not adverse to dropping some money on a worthy title, but I hate feeling the only way to progress is to keep feeding the credit card monster. I hope I'm wrong, but if I'm not that puppy's coming off the console.

Thanks for reminding me about Amazon, I'll go over and see if I can't balance out some of the fanboi flak by giving it a decent rating.
  • Genem30
    Options
    Sony sold over 1 million PS4s in 24 hours, more than any PlayStation and console in history has sold in the first 24 hours.
    Pretty nuts, and good for them, they've been working their corporate assets off to climb back from the PS3 launch.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I must say I'm pretty unimpressed so far, the UI looks like a step up from the PS3 but still looks outdated and it's only been a few days.

Also I was expecting a bit more polish on killzone...
  • StarGeezer
    Options
    I must say I'm pretty unimpressed so far, the UI looks like a step up from the PS3 but still looks outdated and it's only been a few days.

Also I was expecting a bit more polish on killzone...

The UI is definitely minimalist, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I always thought the Cross Menu Bar of the PS3 was a little over-plumbed and almost always intrusive. Of course, we've had 7 years of getting used to Dynamic Themes and custom icons and the like, so this "one size fits all" probably grates on a few folks. I don't mind, but really hope they at least allow us to change the general color of the sky-blue background at some point. I don't necessarily need all the bells and whistles of dynamic themes, but that color could get old in a hurry.

Still, I would give it time. Sony likely decided to keep it very simple at first so as to cut down on any potential glitches out of the gate. Once the systems are all up and running and everyone has had time to catch their collective breath, I'm sure we'll be seeing more options and a bit more diversity so far as the UI is concerned. To keep things in perspective, I was recalling over the weekend that the XBox 360 had a lot of changes to their UI over its lifetime. It went from those "blades" to tabs to something else and finally we got this "AOL Clone" we all know and hate today. So give it time, I'm sure some changes will be coming.

So far as Killzone...don't know, didn't get it. I'm not a big shooter fan (I suck at them frankly.) I got Warframe and Blacklight Retribution because 1) they were free, and 2) I needed something to play since my games didn't ship with my console. They'll allegedly be here today. As it turns out, they're both pretty good, even if I still suck at them. However, from what I've seen on Twitch, KZ still seems to be pretty popular, perceived "polish" or no.
  • Genem30
    Options
    Killzone's SP campaign is pretty generic and uninspired, but the MP stuff is great. Games like Cal of Duty and Battlefield rarely get dinged for their lackluster singleplayer, but Killzone seems to be taking a beating purely because of it. A lot of sites had reviews up for the game without even trying the MP in the game.
  • KirbyT16
    KirbyT16 Posts: 411
    Options
    My answer in short:

I love my PS4.

:)

The only thing that bothers me (but probably doesn't both anyone else lol) is that when you look @ your friends list you can't tell (without clicking on them) who is on the 4 or 3.
  • Mikej77
    Mikej77 Posts: 112
    Options
    Has anyone got the blue ring of death? Heard there is a firmware patch out there already that needs to be added to prevent it.
  • StarGeezer
    Options
    Has anyone got the blue ring of death? Heard there is a firmware patch out there already that needs to be added to prevent it.

Haven't heard of a patch yet, but they have a new name for the problem.

http://v.cdn.cad-comic.com/comics/cad-20131115-de418.png

:laugh:
  • KirbyT16
    KirbyT16 Posts: 411
    Options

Haven't heard of a patch yet, but they have a new name for the problem.

http://v.cdn.cad-comic.com/comics/cad-20131115-de418.png

:laugh:

Bahahahahahahahhaha *dies laughing*